Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #1

Looking for Advice

Four years ago we wanted to purchase an Excel but circumstances and the
time were not right so backed off. It's nearly the right time now, however
Excel is gone. So we are researching and talking with New Horizons. Now that Brian Tillett is there they have redesigned their Summit line for 2018. Brian has reincarnated the Excel IKE floorplan which we really like. I am
looking for advice regarding the suspension.
The standard suspension on the new Summit coaches will be 2 8K axles with the Dexter "Double Eye" suspension W/NEV-LUB-bearings (33' to 37')
The optional susp. is MorRyde IS. I will option disc brakes on it whichever way I go.
My question is, will the Dexter suspension be efficient and dependable enough to be satisfied with, or would I be better served to go with MorRyde IS??? It does add weight, as well as mucho $$$ to price tag!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Hi Stryker,

If I might jump in here I may be able to answer your questions and have a few comments about both suspensions.

We chose the Dexter "Double Eye" leaf spring suspension for numerous reasons for the New Summit. I've never been a great fan of Mor/Ryde. In fact, for several years at Excel, I wouldn't even offer them as an option. It always seemed that they dodged responsibility when it came to customer issues and nearly always blamed the issue on "manufacturer installation". Since coming to N.H. where Mor/Ryde has been standard equipment, I will say that they have stepped up on several occasions and have been quick to respond when issues arise.

As for problems, Neither Mor/Ryde or Dexter have many. We tried Lippert axles for a brief (very brief) period and went back to Dexter. I remember one time when Vaughn (Peterson) and I were visiting about axles, he mentioned that companies are always inventing bigger and better mousetraps but sometimes the "old" tried & true way is still be best. "Twin-Eye" axles have been around forever and are extremely reliable.

We like the Dexter disc brakes (over Kodiak) because they have a double caliper instead of a single caliper.

In conceiving the New Summit, we had a couple of goals in mind. Reduce weight, more competitive price, don't sacrifice N.H. quality.

The Dexter axles are less expensive than Mor/Ryde and have shock absorbers as standard equipment. They also reduce the weight by 500#. For those customers who feel Mor/Ryde is for them, we offer Mor/Ryde option for $1,000.

I'm very pleased with the weight savings we've accomplished. We reduced the total weight by 3,200#. I expect the 37IK to come in at 15,800# which is in the same ball park as the Excel was.

I hope these answered some of your questions.

Bryan Tillett

Old 08-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #3

Stryker
Replaced Dexter suspension on our 2014 34IKE with Mor/Ryde I.S. Trailer was leaning to the off door side. We have traveled from S.C. to Oregon the last 2 years with it. It is a much better suspension in my opinion. Just look at the size of the components and the amount of wheel travel.
George
Geo-Col is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

Brian
Thank you for your input! I appreciate the information you have provided
here and will certainly help in reaching a decision on which suspension to
go with. It is always interesting seeing the complete opposite experiences
people can have with identical products, and/or companies.
I am excited about the new Summit model you have created. Looking
forward to exterior pics. when the show is finished and painted.

Greg
Old 08-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Col View Post
Stryker
Replaced Dexter suspension on our 2014 34IKE with Mor/Ryde I.S. Trailer was leaning to the off door side. We have traveled from S.C. to Oregon the last 2 years with it. It is a much better suspension in my opinion. Just look at the size of the components and the amount of wheel travel.
George

George
Appreciate your input. As I mentioned to Brian it's interesting the complete
opposite experiences people can have with an identical product, and/or
company. I posted this question on the New Horizons forum and the response there favored the MorRyde suspension. However for them, MorRyde maybe the only type they have had experience with.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Greg,

We have the MORryde IS on our EXCEL. And yes, Brian tried to talk me out of having it installed. However, I research the IS and decided to go with it anyway. Now I am not as naive to think that the IS couldn't have problems, but reading all the talk of lubing shackles and wet bolts and dealing with broken springs, well, that is a few less things I have to worry about. All I do is have someone shoot some grease into one zerk fitting on each pivot at each wheel once a year or do it myself when feeling industrious. Since it is an independent suspension, it is a smoother ride by design. Road vibration is the number one enemy of the trailer. It has been estimated that a RV trailer experiences the equivalent of a 4.5 earthquake for hours at a time. A smoother riding suspension and properly inflated tires will lessen the road vibrations.

Below is an article in the March 2000 Trailer Life magazine about the MORryde Independant Suspension. This article help seal the deal with me. Notice the test trailer.

http://www.morryde.com/uploads/downl...ifeArticle.pdf

You will be paying a premium for a quality 5'er. Is a $1000 too much to pay for lessening the wear and tear on your trailer. It may be cheaper in the long run.

If you are not 100% sold on the MORryde, go with Dexter. So later if you wish you had gone with the MORryde, at least you will have the consolation of saving a $1000.

P.S. And yes, I have driven and ridden in trailers with leaf springs.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Greg,

We have the MORryde IS on our EXCEL. And yes, Brian tried to talk me out of having it installed. However, I research the IS and decided to go with it anyway. Now I am not as naive to think that the IS couldn't have problems, but reading all the talk of lubing shackles and wet bolts and dealing with broken springs, well, that is a few less things I have to worry about. All I do is have someone shoot some grease into one zerk fitting on each pivot at each wheel once a year or do it myself when feeling industrious. Since it is an independent suspension, it is a smoother ride by design. Road vibration is the number one enemy of the trailer. It has been estimated that a RV trailer experiences the equivalent of a 4.5 earthquake for hours at a time. A smoother riding suspension and properly inflated tires will lessen the road vibrations.

Below is an article in the March 2000 Trailer Life magazine about the MORryde Independant Suspension. This article help seal the deal with me. Notice the test trailer.

http://www.morryde.com/uploads/downl...ifeArticle.pdf

You will be paying a premium for a quality 5'er. Is a $1000 too much to pay for lessening the wear and tear on your trailer. It may be cheaper in the long run.

If you are not 100% sold on the MORryde, go with Dexter. So later if you wish you had gone with the MORryde, at least you will have the consolation of saving a $1000.P.S. And yes, I have driven and ridden in trailers with leaf springs.

Carl
Thank you for your input.That article was fairly convincing. I have
no concerns about the IS providing a high quality ride, time and
lots of RV'ers with very positive reviews prove that. The concern i
do have is the issue of keeping the IS in proper alignment. I have been
told that can be an issue. But, maybe no more of one than keeping
a standard suspension in alignment. Certainly gives me a lot to think
about. Thanks again!

Greg
Old 08-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker15 View Post
The concern i
do have is the issue of keeping the IS in proper alignment. I have been
told that can be an issue. But, maybe no more of one than keeping
a standard suspension in alignment. Certainly gives me a lot to think
about. Thanks again!

Greg
Greg,

The alignment topic has been discussed before. Check the link below. The discussion on the IS is post #10 through #14. As stated in the thread, the trailer is still tracking fine after two trips to Colorado and one recent to Kerrville, TX. And I have been on some very bumpy roads and made some very tight turns.

One Shackle Has Me Beat
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Greg,

The alignment topic has been discussed before. Check the link below. The discussion on the IS is post #10 through #14. As stated in the thread, the trailer is still tracking fine after two trips to Colorado and one recent to Kerrville, TX. And I have been on some very bumpy roads and made some very tight turns.

One Shackle Has Me Beat
Carl
Thanks for that heads up on the alignment discussion. I am thinking
that unless there is some some unusual or extreme event, which creates
extreme torque and/or impact, maintaining correct IS susp. alignment
is not going to be an issue. Thanks again!
happy trails!
Greg

Tags
advice