RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
We have a loud banging noise when pump turns on I have tried to find a pipe banging but can not find anything .Any Ideas?

Steve,N,Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
SNJ,
It would help if you put your rig info in your signiture. I went back in your post and found out you have a '99 30 RLO. You didn't say what brand of WP you have. Hard to help without that info, I would suggest you get near the pump and have some one run the pump. Watch the pump and see how much it moves when running and astertain the pump noise level. Chances are you'll probably find the pump itself is what is so noisy. Does it operate/pump OK? If this is the original pump, it's probably time to replace. Some of those old pumps would wake your neighbor if run in the night when they were new!!! If you're sensitive to noise, a higher end Flojet or ShurFlo 5.7 GPM water pump would be your best bet. Just a guess at this point. rockintom

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I will try this again I was moreso thinking it ws a pipe so I focussed on them.
If we change the pump,does the 5.7 have more presure or does it use more volume?My love of my life goes through a tank of water in 36 hrs but I do not want to loose preasure during a shower.
Steve,N,Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
The Shurflo 5.7 pump....puts out 5.7 GPM (grams per minute) of water at about 60-65 PSI. Some boondocks don't care for it...cause if you let it run...it sucks the water fast! The pump puts out the most volume of most any RV water pump out there. I like mine.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 AM   #5

Might want to look at how the pump is mounted to the floor. It sits on rubber isolators that are suppose to help dampen the pumps movement into the floor/area. Check their condition and that their not loose and allowing the pump to move excessively and transferring that movement into the floor/area.

ShurFlo also installs a small section of hose, mine is white and Ďbout 24 inches in length that is suppose to dampen the pumps movement to the unitís supply/distribution tubing.

Iíve noticed more noise in this unit than I did in my prior. Partly because of the location of the pump__this one is located beneath the bath area and in a location of all my fixtures and because itís a larger more powerful pump.

I think I hear my pump running more than the effects it has on the tubing banging on things during or after use. While working another project, I installed foam pipe insulation, cut to 4-6 inch lengths, around areas where I thought the tubing came into contact with other areas. As the inside dia. of the insulation was larger than the tubing, I would snug plastic wire ties down with just enough pressure to keep it in place. Never saw any chaffing on the tubing during the installation of the wraps and havenít heard any noise aftwards.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I don't know if "water hammer" is pump-specific. But I also have had bad hammering from the the 5.7 gpm "Extreme."

Most of my water hammer noise was the pulsations of the water being pumped being transmitted through the stiff plastic piping, which, in turn, vibrated and hammered against anything they sat on or against.

In addition to the loops and shock absorbing mounts, I used foam pipe insulation/wrap as padding between the piping and floors, walls, plumbing fixtures, cabinets etc.

Also air in the lines seems to amplify the pulsation. When filling my tanks I go around and run water out all of my outlets until each flows steady - usually it's just a little bit. Don't forget the outdoor utility faucets and the laundry hook-ups if you have them.

Mine still hammers/pulses hard for a few uses - enough to vibrate the kitchen fixtures in the rear, but then the flow noticeably smoothes out.

Maybe there is still some residual air that regular use purges out of the lines.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by rockintom:
The Shurflo 5.7 pump....puts out 5.7 GPM (grams per minute) of water at about 60-65 PSI.
Oh, oh! Me thinks that SKIA has had too much happy juice from the Oak Barrel. or is it just what happens to "old pumps". Output goes from "gallons per minute" to "grams to minute". I hope not. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
A mouse pad installed under the pump (Use rubber washers under the screw heads). Also flexible water line (about 2' each) installed before and after the pump. The flexible line is put in a circle. It is so quiet now you can't hear when using the kitchen faucet.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:02 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On a more serious note, I'm not so sure I want to quiet the pump completely. The pump noise provides a good way to check for leaks. I already had an incident where the pump was on, no one was running water, and I HEARD it cycle. Low and behold I found a very small leak at the clamp at the pump. I don't have slamming of pipes but I am happy for the sound of it running if it helps diagnose an otherwise "invisible" problem.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor2BnC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
The Shurflo 5.7 pump....puts out 5.7 GPM (grams per minute) of water at about 60-65 PSI.
Oh, oh! Me thinks that SKIA has had too much happy juice from the Oak Barrel. or is it just what happens to "old pumps". Output goes from "gallons per minute" to "grams to minute". I hope not. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim,

OMG, I can't believe anyone even reads my "stuff"! It must be the military background(tech orders) in you!

Thanks for gettin' me fixed up there. Sorry, cause I was weighin' out dope on my scale at the time I was postin' and got a little mixed up!!!

PS I need to figure out how to hook up this 5.7 Extreme to my box of wine here in the rig!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by rockintom:
PS I need to figure out how to hook up this 5.7 Extreme to my box of wine here in the rig!
That's easy. Take the hose you use for suckin up the vodka to winterize and just poke a hole in the wine carton and your good to go. Wine throughout the unit "on demand". You'll feel good even when brushing your teeth in the morning. Oh wait, don't they just sit in a glass all night?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Tim,

Thanks for the great idea....gotta go and do my water aeorbics now....and it's 33*F....may need a bit of the antifreeze when I get back! I owe you one....don't forget!