Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Lower Your Spare BEFORE You Actually Need It.

I have seen the spare tire wrench access hole in the rear bumper (photo 1). I have seen the spare tire wrench. I assumed I put the wrench in the hole and lowered my spare to the ground. WRONG!!! The hex tubing that the wrench attaches to is on the curb side, not in the rear where the hole is (photo 3). And, there is no access hole in the slide (photo 4).

Can you imagine the safety and mechanical issues if you had a flat? On the side of a busy highway you would have to extend the curb side slide and crawl under it in order to access the hex tubing and lower the spare.

The fix is easy. Measure and drill an access hole in the curb side slide.

It seems that this would have been more easily done during fabrication, Bryan.

I encourage everyone to check this little detail BEFORE you have to change your first flat. Hopefully yours is done correctly.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	78050   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	78051  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	78052   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	78053  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Don, this is interesting. My old 05 Excel you had to crawl under the rig and use a regular ol' box end wrench to slowly lower spare tire. My '10 model had the rear hole and crank like wrench that lowered the spare. That seemed to work OK. My '12 model....oh heck I ain't even looked even though I have the crank wrench and a hole in the rear. Actually, now that I think about it....my '12 model has the same set up as the '10 cause I had to tighten the spare up as it was dangling loosely from the factory.

If I understand your set up correctly.....you shouldn't have to drill a hole in the slide in my opinion. The system should be setup to function from the rear hole. Period. Again....just my opinion. rockin'

BTW....your pretty good at editing and adding stuff to those photos. What program are you using to do that? You are one talented dude! Have fun with Bill and Shar!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rockin..I looked at this with Don. There is no shaft at all running to the rear of the rig even though there is a hole for the crank. The shaft for the crank comes through the frame right behind the curbside rear axle. With the slide in, there is no way in h*** to get the crank on the shaft. Now, depending on where you are when you get a flat this could be a serious safety problem.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
You guys can make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I can easily lower my spare with the slide retracted on my 2013 Excel Winslow.

Just use a socket and socket wrench.

If you are really lazy, use a knuckle and socket with a cordless drill.

Just because they supply a long handled tool to lower your spare, does not mean you have to use it.

I can take pictures and post if you don't believe me.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Its a terrible design. Poor placement and a safety issue and they lead you to believe the crank goes in the rear hole. Even in the manual. The tool supplied cannot be used without extending the slide. Extenting the slide on the shoulder of a road may not be possible. Even dangerous. JMO.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I don't have a hole on the rear of my 2013.

Just use a socket wrench. Don't need to extend the slide.

I repeat, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 11-02-2014, 04:24 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
This is all very strange. On my 2013, the hole is in the back of the rig, and the crank is accessible thru that hole using the supplied tool. Like Rockin, I found my spare swinging loose, thus had to tighten it back up.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Mine is at the rear on my '13. Just got finished putting it on the front axle along with a tire I purchased. Mine and Russel's were built a couple of months apart.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Chief, I understand completely. Basically this the same system as my old '05 just that the extension piece did not go thru the frame. Cumbersome, especially if you had to lay in an ant bed on the side of the road (my luck). My point that in my opinion a reasonable resolution to the problem would be to install the rear facing mechanism. And that would not be easy as PI elects to WELD the tire carrier mechanism to the frame on assembly. Ask me how I know. The carrier have holes for nuts and bolts but the factory doesn't use them. So if and when replacement is necessary, you have to cut out the welds and then grind smooth, drill holes in frame and install in unit with nuts and bolts. I knew you were involved as I see your ol' Ram in one of the pix!!!! Hugs to Ms. Shar! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Have any of you guys added a ratchet strap to add extra saftey to holding your spare up? I had a freind lose his spare when the cable broke on SOB.going down the hwy. lots of damage. I've added the strap. So Doc, yea I have to crawl under my rig to release my spare. But it's a mountain that I have created on my own...lol
Old 11-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Mine is at the rear on my '13. Just got finished putting it on the front axle along with a tire I purchased. Mine and Russel's were built a couple of months apart.
We have different flooplans. Your's is a 31, mine is a 34. I have more rear overhang than you.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 11-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Have any of you guys added a ratchet strap to add extra saftey to holding your spare up? I had a freind lose his spare when the cable broke on SOB.going down the hwy. lots of damage. I've added the strap. So Doc, yea I have to crawl under my rig to release my spare. But it's a mountain that I have created on my own...lol
We hashed this deal over a long time ago. Do a search...more info than you ever wanted to know.....most of us added chain to add more security. rockin'
Old 11-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
10-4
Old 11-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Okay, let's put this in a different light. Suppose I am 70+ years old, and have my first flat on a busy highway. I locate my wrench handle and insert it in the hole in the back end just to find that it dead-ends into a galvanized cover for the slide mechanism. I then crawl around under the RV and finally see that the wrench is supposed to be inserted from the right side and there is no way the supplied wrench will fit without moving the slide out. THIS IS DANGEROUS AND IS NOT A MOUNTAIN (Vs. a molehill).

Don't you think everyone should be warned of this situation so they can check their rig ahead of time. And don't you think this feedback should reach PI.

The above scenario did not happen to me, but if it had I would have been extremely irritated at the incompetence that caused this to happen.

Just my opinion,
Don