Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2008, 06:36 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
My LP furnace gives off an odor in the coach when I use it. Doesn't smell like LP exactly, kinda metallic. It sure is noticeable. Makes D-Dubya sneeze some and gives me a headache if it's on too long, like now when I'm heating up the trailer from a cold night.

I thought this odor would go away with time and use, but it has not. Is this common in Excels and other RVs?
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:36 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
My LP furnace gives off an odor in the coach when I use it. Doesn't smell like LP exactly, kinda metallic. It sure is noticeable. Makes D-Dubya sneeze some and gives me a headache if it's on too long, like now when I'm heating up the trailer from a cold night.

I thought this odor would go away with time and use, but it has not. Is this common in Excels and other RVs?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce and Jenna:
....and gives me a headache if it's on too long, like now when I'm heating up the trailer from a cold night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bruce,

Do you have a working CO (carbon monoxide) detector? Not to overdramatize, but this is literally a life or death matter if your heat exchanger is cracked or if you're leaking combustion gases into the 5th wheel interior.

I'll link this down to the Systems and Appliances forum where there's a better chance that an RV service technician will see this post and comment.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Bruce....

If you smell ANY odor from your furnace you should shut it off immediately and have it checked by a qualified technician.

The smell you're smelling could possibly be a cracked heat chamber. The other possibly could be an obstruction (i.e. nest) in your flu.

At any rate, PLEASE have it checked IMMEDIATELY!

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Bruce,

To specifically answer your question, there should be no odor at all coming from the furnace vents inside the coach. The LP gas flame is isolated inside the heat exchanger from the warm air that comes inside the coach. All the bad stuff should be expelled via the furnace's exhaust port. The possible crack in the heat exchanger Bryan and Rusty mentioned would allow carbon monoxide to mix with the warm air that comes inside. Once that possibility has been ruled out, I would check for some foreign material in the duct that omits an odor when it's heated.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The unit should be under warranty and IS A SAFETY ISSUE. Have your dealer's service department check into this. If in fact the technician does not find a cracked heat exchanger, he should be able to determine if it is overheating or if there is somthing too close to the furnace causing this odor issue. Make sure he checks for proper install. I have found bad installs cause overheating of the furnace and poor heating of the RV. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
On Friday, I spoke with someone in Atwood HQ. Should get a call back on Monday. In the mean time, I ain't holdin' my breath.

We are heating with an electric space heater. Fortunately winter ain't cold in AZ.

Thanks for all you responses.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Bruce,

How about some details about what was wrong.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Well, I don't know more than I've written. Turn on furnace. Get metallic smell in about 5 minutes.

I checked the furnace as much as I could, which ain't much. The main cover plate has a sheet metal screw that just turns in place. I don't want to mess with it, since I don't carry a good array of tools any longer.

We tried to compare the odor to the exhaust, but ain't much odor in the latter. Maybe that odor ends up in the trailer?

I haven't found anyone to make a house call, at least not for less than $175 RT. Half the technicians on the Atwood web site are out of business, and the other half don't travel. We're 35 miles north of Phoenix, in the height of snowbird season.

Right now I'm getting by with a space heater. Spending time preparing for knee surgery rather than furnace surgery. After the cutting next week, I ain't taking this trailer anywhere for a couple months.

So I'll just put this off unless I can find someone to drive out here into the boonies. Maybe one of you? I'll put on the coffee pot. And mojitos after fixin' hours.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the update Bruce. You know if I was in your neighborhood I'd come take a look at it. I'm the crawl around under the rig kinda guy!

Good luck on the knee surgery....remember....lots of patience on that deal.

I also would take you up on the mojitos. I've been known to do a couple or one of those!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Finally found someone to make a service call. Best he could tell was that the burner chamber exhaust plate had shifted forward, possibly letting some exhaust escape.

We're not using the furnace now, what with sunny and warm days here in AZ. So we'll see how it goes in the months ahead.

Thanks much for all your suggestions and concern.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Bruce, do keep us posted on this issue. Do to its importance of safety, I like to be able to know what to look for and at in a problem like this. Thank you.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Just for clarification, the burner chamber exhaust plate is the galvanized plate at the bottom of the heat chamber, including the exhaust port to the outside. It had moved back, i.e. away from the access door.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Bruce -- probably a rare occurrence, but something to be aware of if any of us have a problem with furnace odors in the future.