Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
We are taking advantage of the 30% trade-in rebate offered by MCD Shades and picking up our new shades from the factory in McKinney TX this week. We will install them ourselves. Really looking forward to the sun block of the day shade.

I did a trial removal of the existing shades this weekend as I'm re-covering the valances in the living room (1 window done; 7 to go) and still debating whether to work upside down to remove old and install new shades, or just take down the entire valance and work on the table. You know the saying....6 of one; half-dozen of the other. It's all good.

Shall post a pic or two of the results later this week (Lord willing and the creek don't rise).

Stay tuned......SGT Beth
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
When I replaced ours I found it easier to remove the valances, install the brackets and shades on the valance, then re-install the valances. This was all due to clearances. Found it hard, or next to impossible sometimes to get tools, fat fingers and etc. into the valance areas. Found trying to install the shade mounting bar into the clips was pretty tough not a whole lot of room to work in.

I too am taking advantage of the rebate, I did all but 3 windows a couple of years ago, finishing up those last 3. My new shades are due via FedEx somtime this week!

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Spike. Down the valances will come. I know what you mean about the tight squeeze plus the upside down work is challenging too. Always better to work on a level playing field.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Spike. Did you happen to pickup ur shades at McKinney 1st time? If so, did u camp on site or a local RV park?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Didymop
First off.....thanks to you and drfife for posting about the MCD 30% deal. We are trying to get it together before they pull it. I agree with Spike, take the valance down. Back in Sept. I rebuilt all our valances. Got rid off the cloth. Went back with oak stained to match the cabinets. Lot easier to clean. I tried attaching the pleated shade with the valance mounted. Not enough room for tools and fat fingers, not to mention only able to get half an eyeball in to see what your doing! Now we are waiting for some swatches to arrive so the DW can pick. Hope to order sometime next week.

BTW. Spike, thanks for your service.
RET FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymop View Post
Spike. Did you happen to pickup ur shades at McKinney 1st time? If so, did u camp on site or a local RV park?
Didymop; no had them Fedex'd also, so have no knowledge of the camping facilities, although I do remember seeing on thier website they have 50Amp hook-ups @ there RV parking sites.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikester View Post
...seeing on thier website they have 50Amp hook-ups @ there RV parking sites.
About Us

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I'm redoing our valances too (but with fabric) and as blessings would have it, JoAnn Fabrics had all upholstery material half price Veterans Day weekend plus 20% more for military affiliated folks. We hadn't planned on buying the fabric yet but couldn't afford not to. Fortunately it's only the valances behind the kitchen sink and in the living room that I'm redoing and not the whole house. After all of the staple gun use, I'm gonna have one strong and fit left arm (yep, on top of everything else, I'm a lefty).

Peggy from MCD gave me the names of three nearby RV parks for us to stay at McKinney. I don't know if they will let us stay on their site since we aren't having them install them and there are limited spaces at their facility. We shall take ours down before we get there to save time. After all this is over we will be Pro's from Dover and can add this skill to our workamping resume. Lol.

SGT Beth.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
...Peggy from MCD gave me the names of three nearby RV parks for us to stay at McKinney....
Beth, what parks did they give you? How long are you staying? What facilities do you need? I live in North Texas and might be able to offer some suggestions to meet your needs.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 11-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Here's the info Peggy gave me on nearby parks. We prayerfully will leave get there on Thursday before they close. About 370 miles from A'rillo to there; actually would be a short drive day for us. Thanks for any info you can share. Will stay at least 1 if not 2 nites

There are three parks nearby.
The lighthouse is 3 miles up the road. It is an older park. It does have lots of trees and small gravel roads. Full hook-ups. 972-838-4600.
Texas Star RV Ranch is about 1 mile north of us on Hwy 5. It is a large open field with concrete pads. Nothing much for ambience, but it does have full hook-ups and the owner is in a house next to the sites. 46--222-9555 or 972-837-4600
Shady Creek is a newer park about 15 miles west of us. It is the nicest of the three. Nice sites with concrete pads and full hook-ups. 972-347-5384
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
....There are three parks nearby.
The lighthouse is 3 miles up the road. It is an older park. It does have lots of trees and small gravel roads. Full hook-ups. 972-838-4600.
Texas Star RV Ranch is about 1 mile north of us on Hwy 5. It is a large open field with concrete pads. Nothing much for ambience, but it does have full hook-ups and the owner is in a house next to the sites. 46--222-9555 or 972-837-4600
Shady Creek is a newer park about 15 miles west of us. It is the nicest of the three. Nice sites with concrete pads and full hook-ups. 972-347-5384
Beth,

I've not stayed at any of those parks.

I have driven by Lighthouse MANY times and through it once. It is on a major highway. Does not have good online reviews. I would avoid Lighthouse.

We mainly frequent Texas State Parks and COE's in our area. The closest is Ray Roberts SP and that is 26 miles west of MCD.

Shady Creek looks like the best choice. If you stay there, let me know how you like it.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We are also taking advantage of the trade in and we are installing them ourselves. I don't plan to take the valances down. I have restrung the shades a few times and taking down the old shades and mounting the brackets seem like it would be easier than putting the old shades back up.

We are picking up our shades hopefully tomorrow. We are in the area (about 40 minutes away) at Destiny Dallas RV Resort. We have been here for almost a month and will be here until the middle/end of December. Highway noise, but a great park.

Hey Russell!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
....We are picking up our shades hopefully tomorrow. We are in the area (about 40 minutes away) at Destiny Dallas RV Resort. We have been here for almost a month and will be here until the middle/end of December. Highway noise, but a great park.

Hey Russell!
Hey Michael!

You will love the MCD shades.

See you next week.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Looks like we will be heading to pick up our shades tomorrow/Thursday. We should get there Late afternoon to pick up new shades and then work on installing them tomorrow nite and Friday before we leave. Want to make sure they fit and work properly before we go.

I too have taken down the day/night shades throughout the house and restrung them. I'll know more what I'm up against (their hardware) when we get there. Very flexible in the installation; whichever us easiest and fastest.

Thanks for the scoop on the RV parks. I'll let u know where we stayed. Sooo looking forward to the shades.

SGT Beth.