Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Microwave

The microwave had power to it this morning when we left Tillamook, but doesn't now that we're at Fort Stevens SP. We've turned the microwave breaker on and off several times, but still no power to it. Everything else in the rig is working just fine on AC.

Does the microwave have a fuse? If so, where is it located?

Do breakers go bad? If so, where would we get another one?

Besides a fuse or a bad breaker, any idea what could be wrong?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
KIX

Check the receptacle the micro is plugged into. If you are in a MH it may be on the wall behind the micro. When you find it unplug and replug the micro.
I also could be the AC wiring has lost contact inside the receptacle. RV receptacles typically use a push on type connection for the wiring that can lose contact with the wires.
Hope this helps you.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
The microwave had power to it this morning when we left Tillamook, but doesn't now that we're at Fort Stevens SP. We've turned the microwave breaker on and off several times, but still no power to it. Everything else in the rig is working just fine on AC.

Does the microwave have a fuse? If so, where is it located?

Do breakers go bad? If so, where would we get another one?

Besides a fuse or a bad breaker, any idea what could be wrong?
First, you say you no power going to the microwave. Is that a figure of speech cause the microwave isn't working? Or have you actually checked to see if you have no voltage at the outlet for the microwave?

You didn't state what kind/brand of microwave you have.

Most microwaves do have an internal fuse behind the skin.

Please give us some more details so we can help.

Are you coming toward Portland?....we love to see you and Earl!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
On our 2001 28rgo there is an outlet in the cabinet above the microwave that it is plugged into. Check to make sure it didn't unplug itself during your last trip. Then if you still do not have power then I'd try plugging in a lamp or small appliance to see if that has power. From there it will be easy to determine if the problem is the microwave or power to the outlet.

Thanks,

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #5

I don't know about your rig, however on ours, the microwave is controlled by a circuit breaker on the front of the Inverter/Converter, which is located in the electrical service department.
If you have a Xantrex Inverter/Converter on your unit, it might be the same way.

Bill
Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
First, you say you no power going to the microwave. Is that a figure of speech cause the microwave isn't working? Or have you actually checked to see if you have no voltage at the outlet for the microwave?
No, we haven't checked for voltage. We very seldom use the microwave, but when we're plugged into electricity as we were in Tillamook and as we are now at Fort Stevens, we set the clock. However, the LCD display on the microwave is dark...no power. When there's power to the microwave, there's sort of a "colon" showing before the time is set.
Quote:
You didn't state what kind/brand of microwave you have.
It's the Dometic microwave/convection oven that Peterson Ind. installed in the rig when it was built.
Quote:
Most microwaves do have an internal fuse behind the skin.
what do you mean by "the skin?"
Quote:
Are you coming toward Portland?
No. When we leave here tomorrow, we're going across the bridge at Astoria and then go up the Washington coast.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
On our 2001 28rgo there is an outlet in the cabinet above the microwave that it is plugged into. Check to make sure it didn't unplug itself during your last trip.
It is plugged in.
Quote:
Then if you still do not have power then I'd try plugging in a lamp or small appliance to see if that has power.
We did plug our volt meter in, and there is no power at the outlet, so that would seem to rule out any problem with whatever fuse the microwave might have, and reinforce our assumption that the breaker has gone bad.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
On our 2001 28rgo there is an outlet in the cabinet above the microwave that it is plugged into. Check to make sure it didn't unplug itself during your last trip. Then if you still do not have power then I'd try plugging in a lamp or small appliance to see if that has power. From there it will be easy to determine if the problem is the microwave or power to the outlet.

Thanks,

Dave
Our microwave has a special outlet rated at 20 amp dedicated to the microwave. A regular appliance won't plug into it. That's why I recommend using a DVOM to check your voltage at the plug.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
I don't know about your rig, however on ours, the microwave is controlled by a circuit breaker on the front of the Inverter/Converter, which is located in the electrical service department.
If you have a Xantrex Inverter/Converter on your unit, it might be the same way.
I didn't know there was such an animal as a combination inverter/converter.

Be that as it may, we know where the microwave circuit breaker is...as I stated in my first post, we've flipped that switch on and off several times to no avail. We're thinking that the breaker is bad, so we'll have to find someplace to find a new one. If it's not the breaker, then there's something wrong in the wiring someplace, which will require us to find the services of an RV tech that can diagnose and fix the problem since we won't attempt to work on electrical wiring!

Fortunately, we rarely use the microwave, so it's not an urgent problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You could remove the cover to the panel and carefully use your meter to test across both sides of the breaker for 110 volts and if you have it, it is the breaker.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Our microwave has a special outlet rated at 20 amp dedicated to the microwave. A regular appliance won't plug into it. That's why I recommend using a DVOM to check your voltage at the plug.
Tom, you're talking to someone who knows next to nothing about electricity! I have no idea what a "DVOM" is...and I doubt we have one! However, our voltage meter (a Good Governor that we leave plugged in all the time next to the TV so that we can keep an eye on the voltage) DID fit in the microwave outlet and showed no power.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for my post, I thought you had a digital volt/ohm meter (DVOM) with leads, the tester you have will only monitor voltage in a plug not across two points, at least not easily.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
You could remove the cover to the panel and carefully use your meter to test across both sides of the breaker for 110 volts and if you have it, it is the breaker.
We don't have that kind of meter...our voltage meter is a plug-in type just used to keep an eye on voltage.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
KIX

Just a wild guess here. Do you have an inverter in your rig? If your answer is yes then check on the inverter for circuit breakers. On the inverter most are about 1/4" diameter push button type breakers............they're not the toggle type. Pushing them in is in the ON position.........if one is out then it is "tripped". Push it back in.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote