Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Modification of 2007 30RSO classic entertainment center

We are considering modifying the TV portion of the entertainment center in our 2007 30RSO Classic. From what I've seen in pictures the 2007 30RSO Limited has exactly what we are thinking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 3.36.04 PM.png
Views:	96
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	159349

In ours the TV housing was for a CRT TV, eg. a deep cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 10.25.53 PM.png
Views:	90
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	159348

We have a flat screen TV in that large space now, but want to mount it on the back wall and remove the sides of the cabinet. Issue appears to be that the VCR cabinet and perhaps the overhead cabinet appears to be supported by the front vertical frame of the TV cabinet.

I have the workshop to do any wood work necessary. 1) has anyone else done this mod? 2) where are suitable frame members located to support this load from above and/or side walls? Any other ideas how I might complete this and not have everything come crashing down?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
JDT

I would think it could be done. We have 3 banks of overhead cabinets that are not supported by anything other than being anchored to the wall and maybe the ceiling. On our rear kitchen model the microwave/convection oven is included in the bank above the counter so there is a lot of weight being held up by something.

As a former semi professional woodworker I can tell you anything can be done, just about. All it takes is some planning. When planning doesn't work just start ripping out what you don't want to be there and figure out how to replace it with what you do want to be there. I learned long ago that each situation is unique so you may not know what your dealing with until you start the demo.

Hard to tell but it appears the cabinet material may be red oak. I would bet it is just clear coated without any stain so may be easy to match.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I'm dangerous around wood. I do know that as the oak wood ages it gets a bit darker. I also know the later model Excels have some pretty good 2 byes behind the center of the rear cap area for supports for flat screen TV. I had a pic in plant prior to rear cap installation but can't find it right now.....don't know when they started that. Bet Ralph at the service center would know. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I have a 2010 30RSO. Built in November 2009. By then PI was building them with the mod you're talking about. I have a 2 x 6 running vertically in the rear wall that the flat screen was attached to, but I'm guessing you won't have that. You'll probably want to mount your flat screen on an extending tv mount that allows the tv to extend and swivel for better viewing from the side, so you'll need something solid in the center of the rear wall. If you have to add a horizontal piece to get there, you could still make it look decent and it would be hidden behindd the tv when it was retracted. Our wall mount locks into position when fully retracted for towing. It was built by Mor Ryde and is very sturdy.
Excel doesn't glue their cabinets, so you can dismantle them with a power driver. You sound handier than I am, so hopefully you can put something together without the lower part of the tv cabinet. If you find you need to bury your components in a cabinet, you can get an IR repeater that will still let you use your remotes. The I have is from amazon and can control up to eight devices.
- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rockin- you're right about oak and other woods aging to a darker color over time. I have an array of powder stains that can be mixed to match nearly anything I want. Presently, I'm finishing another mod of adding a new cabinet door to cover the space in the bedroom where the angle CRT TV went. We don't like TV in our bedroom. One more coat of finish and it goes up in the next day or two. Perhaps I'll post that mod here then.

I'm planning on a full motion mount for flat panel TV and can handle what ever that back wall has. I just like to have some game plan to support the remaining cabinets from above and the side walls. Not built the way I would have done it, but DW thinks I build tanks when a kite would do. Hey- in about 50 years of wood working I never had anything fall apart.

Do you have Ralph's email address?

Rockin I'm glad you're still chiming in on this forum- thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat