Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

Mor/ryde stepup

I’ve been looking to replace my entry steps with the mor/ryde stepup on my excel Winslow. I’ve done the “qualifier” measurements on their website and called the helpline, but I’m still wondering if I have the 3/8” clearance called for in their step 2 hinge plate measurement....it looks like I only have 1/4”....but I’m not confident of my measuremt. Id really like to get better entry steps, have any of you Winslow owners installed the mor/ryde stepup steps?
Thanks
Jpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #2

Don't know much about the stairs. A while ago Tom posted a link to the stairs he has. They look light and easy to set up and take down while retaining the factory stairs.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/remo...ep-299319.html
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Jpatt, first off welcome to the forum! I don't have the answer to you question about the steps, but would recommend that you contact Mor/Ryde directly. If Gary is still working there, he's a super nice and knowledgeable guy. Also Lippert makes a similar step and looks like a good deal too. The steps we had were called Port-A-Steps. The guy that owns this small company, I believe in Emory, TX, is great to deal with. He doesn't state it on his website but he has a 2 year warranty. They only weigh about 42 lbs.

While we like the Port-A-Steps a lot, they are really designed to be used when you are parked for a while, not traveling a lot. So if you travel quite a bit, I would suggest the style that you're looking at.

In my opinion, the factory steps (in our case Lippert) suck, especially for heavier folks. In our 3 Excels we owned the factory steps and had to replace on all 3.

BTW, please post your rig and truck info in your signature. All we know is that you have a Winslow. Thanks!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #4

TorkLift steps are also available.........and do not have to be wiped down every time the're used in order to keep the rv clean inside....and are fully adjustable and use a pair of adjustable ground contact legs
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:04 AM   #5

Thanks

Bob, Tom and Masch, thank you for your replies. I called mor/ryde twice last week and got friendly folks who gave me a .ittke more information than is on the website, but I’m still not sure the steps will work. I searched the website and found a video of a guy installing a “manufacturers only” version of these steps. And then on Friday I called the Excel Service Center to see if Ralph had any specific experience with these steps. I haven’t heard back from them yet. I’ll look at the Torklift and lippert alternatives you’ve suggested. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #6

I have been checking these out now that it has come up. Right now I only go to decent size camp grounds or desert. There is plenty of room to drop those stairs. I am trying to prepare the rig for a lengthy trip upon retirement. I still have plenty of time. My concern may be completely unfounded, some of the full-timers who have traveled a lot may be able to give an informed answer. Are there times these stairs would stop you from getting into the rig since they block the entrance. Say a quick stop to use the bathroom or grab something out of the refer with tight parking??
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #7

Most likely to be in a rest area where one might have a tight fit...
Old 03-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Hi,

At New Horizons, we have started using the new Mor/Ryde step as standard equipment. The step will work great on your Excel. The only issue you may have will be that the screen door drags and may need to have about 3/8" cut off the bottom.

These are the greatest steps available.
(Guess where the lift-up step concept came from... One of our last "Industry Firsts!)
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Bryan for the info.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 03-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #10

Thank you!

Thanks for each reply. Since Bob wrote about torklift steps I’ve researched them and they look like a better “fit” for what I’m trying to do, but at the moment they appear to be over twice the cost of the mor/ryde steps (about $250 vs about $580!). For that kind of cash I think I might like to support the porta-steps guy. Like Masch and Bob note, torklift makes much of the fixed space the mor/ryde steps require when deployed compared to the flexibility of the torklift. Along with Bryan’s (New Horizons) comment of the possible need to trim the screen door, I think I will keep looking. By the way, multiple phone calls to mor/ryde and torklift were handled well, though I found torklift to be most effective to my specifics questions. You folks have been very informative and helpful! Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #11

Signature info

By the way, Tom, I’ve tried to include my truck and rig info in my signature but haven’t been able to get it right yet. What’s the trick?
Thanks
Old 03-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170214_182444868.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	195086
Old 03-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Jpatt, No trick at all. Make sure you are signed in. Then go to User CP (user control panel) on the left top corner of this page, go to setting and click on edit signature. Hope that helps.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #14

Thanks for the pix Bob, those are the steps I think I’d like to have. And Tom, thanks for the info on signature completion....I think I got it done