Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

Need Axle Spec + Dexter or Kodiak Brakes

I've decided to upgrade the brakes on my 07 33RKO Limited from drum to disc. Unfortunately I am traveling on business and do not have access to my manuals. Can anyone confirm for me which Dexter axles Excel used in 07?

I've done some searches on this forum about disc brake upgrades and there isn't anything recent about Kodiak (AKA Morryde) versus Dexter. I know that many have Dexter disc brakes from the factory and there are many that upgraded from drums like I'm doing. Any red flags except the controller issues? I plan to DIY this project as the work appears to be well within my capabilities. Any words of wisdom about installation?

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Hey Steve,

I've owned both units on an Excel. We went to MorRyde to have the Kodiak system installed. I'm able to do the conversion but didn't have a place to do it. I was with the tech most of the time and he was very easy to deal with and walked me throught the entire installation. Kodiak is a company out of Ft. Worth. MorRyde installs this system, but is not the manufacture of the system. We used a Brakerite actuator and didn't have to change the truck brake controller.

Based on my experience with these systems, if I was doing an upgrade/conversion I would be happy with the Kodiak system. Nothing against Dexter. The Kodiak makes a kit and is much cheaper and the brake pads on the Kodiak are common GM pads available at any auto parts store and also inexpensive (series 213 pad). The Kodiak system worked for us very well for many years and miles. Will not have a rig without disk brakes again. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Tom,

Ballpark figure on what that set you back? If you hear from me after May 23, we made if over that 11,312' pass with our drum brakes.

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Dave,

Almost $3,000 but that was about 4 years ago. Regarding you taking that mountain pass with drum brakes.....turn you gain up all the way on the trailer brakes and add more braking with manual override. I found that my truck brakes got hotter/quicker than the trailer brakes. And oh yeah.........pray. Tow haul will use second gear on a steep decent and watch your tranny temp.....it can overheat just as easy on decent as on the climb. I heard of some folks using manual first and that will OH tranny fairly quick and is hard on the Torrington bearings and planetary gear set. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Hey Steve,

I've owned both units on an Excel. We went to MorRyde to have the Kodiak system installed. I'm able to do the conversion but didn't have a place to do it. I was with the tech most of the time and he was very easy to deal with and walked me throught the entire installation. Kodiak is a company out of Ft. Worth. MorRyde installs this system, but is not the manufacture of the system. We used a Brakerite actuator and didn't have to change the truck brake controller.

Based on my experience with these systems, if I was doing an upgrade/conversion I would be happy with the Kodiak system. Nothing against Dexter. The Kodiak makes a kit and is much cheaper and the brake pads on the Kodiak are common GM pads available at any auto parts store and also inexpensive (series 213 pad). The Kodiak system worked for us very well for many years and miles. Will not have a rig without disk brakes again. rockin'
Thanks Tom. I'll go with the Kodiak kit as it is pretty reasonably priced and has everything needed for installation. Now if I could just wrangle up the information that Mor/ryde needs about my axles, I'll get the kit ordered. If ANYONE with access to their rig could confirm for me the brake drum size, lug count and tire size, it would make my day.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Steve,

Don't you just need to get the numbers off the axles? The tags are on the axles facing the rear of the coach usually near the middle.....you should have the 8 stud, 9/16" lug, Nev R Lube hub. If I remember the shoes are 12 1/4" in diameter and 3 3/8" in width........that's just off the top of my no-business head! Dexter calls this axle a 7,000 lbs. axle with a 8,000 lbs. drum brake assy.....referred as a hybrid. HTHs rockin'
Old 04-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Steve,

Don't you just need to get the numbers off the axles? The tags are on the axles facing the rear of the coach usually near the middle.....you should have the 8 stud, 9/16" lug, Nev R Lube hub. If I remember the shoes are 12 1/4" in diameter and 3 3/8" in width........that's just off the top of my no-business head! Dexter calls this axle a 7,000 lbs. axle with a 8,000 lbs. drum brake assy.....referred as a hybrid. HTHs rockin'
Thank you sir! Yep, I could have simply pulled out my Dexter warranty stuff to get the information but I'm traveling and not near the coach. Now to get those brakes ordered
Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Steve,

Looked at the tags on my axles yesterday and other than what might be a serial number or code, didn't say much. I would give you those number if they would help.

Tom's information is correct on the brake sizes. Same as my 2001 except I have greased hubs.

workhorse
Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
Looked at the tags on my axles yesterday and other than what might be a serial number or code, didn't say much. I would give you those number if they would help.

Tom's information is correct on the brake sizes. Same as my 2001 except I have greased hubs.

workhorse
Thanks! With help from Tom and PI Service, I was able to spec the right parts and get them on order. This page has a really good video on installation in case anyone is curious about DIY.