Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Need to Replace Microwave Oven

My Dometic model DOTR 12CBIV Microwave oven installed in a 2008 Trekker has stopped working. So far I have not found a replacement unit. I have found nothing from Dometic. The unit was manufactured by LG but LG was not able to cross reference the model number.

Has anyone had to replace this microwave model and if so, what unit did you find that was compatible?

Any help I can get in finding a compatible unit will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #2

have you looked at the adventure.net website? they have some small dometic microwaves. also found this link Parts for DOTR12CBIV | Dometic | Microwaves
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I replaced my Dometic microwave/convection oven with a Whirlpool microwave of similar size. Works better than the Dometic ever did. Looks better too. - John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #4

Do you what your model number is?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #5

My Travel Trailer came with microwave that died the 2nd year we had it. I explored several "RV" microwave replacements, twice (or more) the price, and required a little modification to fit, then just went to Walmart with a measuring tape, and picked out one that fit better than any of the RV replacement for a LOT less money! Fits great, and works better than the original! Don't get too wrapped up on any repair/replacement and assume that your only options are the "RV" stores, or "RV" parts. Obviously some exceptions (in my opinion) might be roofing sealants, etc, but by and large, there are better, and many times cheaper alternatives out there if you just invest a little time searching the internet. Hope you find one that fits.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My Domedic acts up with the dreaded F5 code. I literally smack it on the side and it begins to work. .5 years of smacking...lol
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
My Domedic acts up with the dreaded F5 code. I literally smack it on the side and it begins to work. .5 years of smacking...lol
Love tap or a bigger hammer??
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Just a FYI....F5 only pertains to the convection aspect of oven. We've had the dreaded F5 on 2 Dometic ovens. Our replacement on our current rig no longer displays the F5 and also it doesn't reach higher temperatures on convection or combo. Soggy pizza, etc. No matter if you set it to the high of 450*....it only reaches 380* and then cycles. Apparently that's Dometic way to fix it.
Someone on this Excel forum did a thread on a great replacement (spendy) which they were very happy with. Wasn't JDT? I just don't remember. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Just a FYI....F5 only pertains to the convection aspect of oven. We've had the dreaded F5 on 2 Dometic ovens. Our replacement on our current rig no longer displays the F5 and also it doesn't reach higher temperatures on convection or combo. Soggy pizza, etc. No matter if you set it to the high of 450*....it only reaches 380* and then cycles. Apparently that's Dometic way to fix it.
Someone on this Excel forum did a thread on a great replacement (spendy) which they were very happy with. Wasn't JDT? I just don't remember. rockin'
Yea, it was me. We bought a Whirlpool WMH76718AS-1 that works like a charm. It has a higher wattage rating on both microwave and convection than the Dometic and performs much better. We've had it a year and no issues. I bought it from Lowe's for around $450, I think. It was on sale and I used my 10% military discount. I sold the Dometic to a friend for $250 who used it in a house he was flipping.

I did have to some modification as the mounting system is different but it is very secure.

All I know is it gets the pizza dough crisp and the wife is happy. All is good.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When I get the F5 nothing powers up till I smack it
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
we replaced the microwave in our moho with one from WalMart. Found one that fits in the space. Works fine. We don't use our often, so I went with one with the least amount of options (less to break!).
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Yea, it was me. We bought a Whirlpool WMH76718AS-1 that works like a charm. It has a higher wattage rating on both microwave and convection than the Dometic and performs much better. We've had it a year and no issues. I bought it from Lowe's for around $450, I think. It was on sale and I used my 10% military discount. I sold the Dometic to a friend for $250 who used it in a house he was flipping.

I did have to some modification as the mounting system is different but it is very secure.

All I know is it gets the pizza dough crisp and the wife is happy. All is good.
Thanks Jim for the nice update.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:02 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Mine came with a Frigidare CMWV150KBA. 29 3/4"wx16 1/2"hx15 3/8"d
Old 05-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #14

Update on search for replacement microwave

I want to thank all for the helpful comments and suggestions.

My problem is the microwave has to fit a space slightly less then 23 inches. LG had one but has discontinued the model. I have had no luck finding anything else that might fit.

I finely made contact with Doug's RV in Duncan, OK. They told me there is no replacement microwave available anywhere that will fit. They told me the only thing is to have the microwave repaired. They have a source that is experienced with repairing this microwave.

At this point It looks like this is the way I will have to go.

Again Thanks.

Tags
ace, replace