Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Guy View Post
I have no hard data other than a neighbor and an acquaintance with 2011 diesels who both claim that figure for unladen highway driving. It seems miraculous, but that's what they say.

Last January I had lunch with the guy who's head of the Ford Diesel design team. I forgot his name, but everyone calls him "Dr. Diesel." He said that they worked very hard to get both power and fuel economy way up.
My 2011 F350 DRW, 3.73, crewcab with 4x4 with 'bout 800 miles is averaging about 15.6 mpg as combined mileage with city and highway.

I wouldn't expect 25 mpg with this type of truck. Was expecting better mileage than what I'm getting so far....only because of all the comments made about a 20% increase from the prior year.

As a daily driver...it is about 1.5 mpg less than what I was getting from my prior 2002 Silverado C2500 with the 6.6L and 3.73. Straight highway mileage might be close at 'bout +18 mpg.

Using the trip meter which gives miles driven, fuel used, time on engine and MPG....has been all over the place....even for the same trip on different days. One day 16.5, the next day 14.1. Can only assume the truck is in regeneration and cleaning the exhaust system. One trip of 'bout 200 miles with 90% mostly highway had it reading 18.4 at the end of the trip. Wouldn't expect much more than that. Might.

Over on the DieselStop forum, those that are talking about +20 mpg have 3.3 or 3.5 axles with shortbeds etc. Most DWR guys say 15-16 mpg as average. Towing in the 9-11 range with 10-14k trailers.

Regardless...I would expect 15-16 on average unless someone is doing all highway, no towing and never idle the engine ( which is a killer also ).

workhorse
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
I wouldn't expect 25 mpg with this type of truck. Was expecting better mileage than what I'm getting so far....only because of all the comments made about a 20% increase from the prior year.
Always keep in mind that the percentage of a small number is just another small number.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
My 2011 F350 DRW, 3.73, crewcab with 4x4 with 'bout 800 miles is averaging about 15.6 mpg as combined mileage with city and highway.

As a daily driver...it is about 1.5 mpg less than what I was getting from my prior 2002 Silverado C2500 with the 6.6L and 3.73. Straight highway mileage might be close at 'bout +18 mpg.

Using the trip meter which gives miles driven, fuel used, time on engine and MPG....has been all over the place....even for the same trip on different days. One day 16.5, the next day 14.1. Can only assume the truck is in regeneration and cleaning the exhaust system. One trip of 'bout 200 miles with 90% mostly highway had it reading 18.4 at the end of the trip. Wouldn't expect much more than that. Might.

Over on the DieselStop forum, those that are talking about +20 mpg have 3.3 or 3.5 axles with shortbeds etc. Most DWR guys say 15-16 mpg as average. Towing in the 9-11 range with 10-14k trailers.

Regardless...I would expect 15-16 on average unless someone is doing all highway, no towing and never idle the engine ( which is a killer also ).

workhorse

Hi workhorse...

We got home last night from the Richland Hills, Texas to pick up the new truck.

I averaged around 21 MPG simple highway driving. No towing yet. The vehicle had 9.9 miles on it when I took off. I was told (of course) that after a couple oil changes, I should expect even better mileage.

The fleet salesman did say the average for typical highway driving is averaging around 20.

Will most definitely be a different story when I start towing.
bayou316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou316 View Post
Hi workhorse...

We got home last night from the Richland Hills, Texas to pick up the new truck.

I averaged around 21 MPG simple highway driving. No towing yet. The vehicle had 9.9 miles on it when I took off. I was told (of course) that after a couple oil changes, I should expect even better mileage.

The fleet salesman did say the average for typical highway driving is averaging around 20.

Will most definitely be a different story when I start towing.
By the way, ours is the long bed with the 3.73.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #33

My F350 SRW 6.7 gets around 17 mpg without the 5th wheel.
Chickasaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #34

Nice, nice truck.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickasaw View Post
My F350 SRW 6.7 gets around 17 mpg without the 5th wheel.
Our dually right now is getting around 18.5 MPG in town. When I hauled the new RV home from Fort Worth; it averaged around 15.

Now remember, this truck had barely 1800 miles on it when I hauled the RV home. Still only have a little over 2,000 miles on it right now.

Hopefully, as the salesman said, things will improve after a couple oil changes. Will have to wait and see.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
Nice, nice truck.
Thank you. We are enjoying the heck out of it. Just have to figure out all that new stuff like sync, navigatinon, voice command, etc...are.

Us old folks, 57, don't like change but in this case; I think it may work for our benefit once I learn all the new gadgets.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #37

Very nice truck! Let us know MPG and such.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Our dually right now is getting around 18.5 MPG in town. When I hauled the new RV home from Fort Worth; it averaged around 15.

Now remember, this truck had barely 1800 miles on it when I hauled the RV home. Still only have a little over 2,000 miles on it right now.

Hopefully, as the salesman said, things will improve after a couple oil changes. Will have to wait and see.
Bayou........I know fuel mileage is a sensitive subject to some.....but I think someone has been slippin' some fuel in your tank while your not lookin'!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #39

Excel Owners Club
My experience with my 2007 F350 - mileage improved 1 mpg at certain mile points, 20k and 30k I think. Due to breakin settings in the onboard computer. Nothin to do with the oil changes, other than more miles each time.

Hope you are as happy with your 2011 as I am with my F350 DRW LB 2007. 60k miles now and no problems, other than a minor bed plate oil leak.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Bayou........I know fuel mileage is a sensitive subject to some.....but I think someone has been slippin' some fuel in your tank while your not lookin'!!!
Well whoever it is, make sure you tell them to keep it up. LOL Diesel "ain't" the cheapest stuff right now.

By the way, the wife shops at Kroger a good bit and if you have a Kroger super card, whatever that is, you get 10 cents off per gallon at Shell.

Sound like a Shell salesman now.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #41

We had a 2008 F450 from new and it only gave me 10-12 mpg during and just after break-in! Towing the big old Excel 35 MKO netted us 7 mpg. We sold it and the next owner said it got better but not much. We had a 4:10 ratio which could explain some of that.

My little Dodge Dakota has the six with a 3:93 ratio. It gets 15 mpg in town and 18 mpg on the road. That is without towing but are we awesome at streetlights.

Sure sounds like Ford has done something right if those fuel numbers are correct!
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

Just jumping in here..... is that mileage from the idiot gauge or figured miles versus gallons
Sounds great and hope it gets even better.

red