RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rankin View Post
As for the drawers in the bedroom. I've pushed and pushed on them and they'll walk back out while I'm watching them. No need for a bumpy road. A sure fire solution is to put in a series of eye screws with a long rod to hold the whole stack of drawers in place. I was hoping for a more elegant solution.
Steve,
Had a similar problem when our 2013 was new. The bottom drawers would open a little while parked. If I remember correctly, the dealer fixed it by either adjusting or adding drawer catches. I would see if a drawer catch could be installed in a hidden location before adding something so visible.

CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 11:43 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
A very simple explanation without a lot of detail....the water is super heated with a special thermostat (155*F) the mixing valve simply blends the cold (tap) and super heated water to give the temp of 120*F at the faucet. Doing that gives ya ~16 gals of normal heated water at the faucet. The mixing valves are "factory sealed" to avoid tampering, but that doesn't stop folks like me that like working on stuff. Those valves were very expensive in the early days, but now they sell so many they are much cheaper now. At one time they were close to $250. Now, I think you can get them for about $150 or so. Many folks have one on hand to switch out in a jiffy, then clean up the one they just took off and keep for a spare. BTW......some folks take them off and go back to a regular thermostat (~135*F) and have only 10 gals of hot water. Or some folks go to a manual Watts mixing valve and do some rerouting of the water lines and fitting to accommodate the new valve. Enough for now.

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:54 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quickly. On the drawers sliding out in the bedroom. If the drawers are at the end of the bed, they don't have the "stay closed" feature in the hardware. They figure the bed mattress closing on the them will keep them closed when traveling. If they are opening on their own when setting still I would guess the rig is not very level side to side. All other drawers should stay closed. Take one drawer out and looking at the sliding hardware should allow you to see what is wrong. Only takes a second.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #18
JDT

Congrats on the purchase. Hope things go smoothly in working out the kinks.

We had problems with a drawer in our bedroom never staying closed. I bought some of those cheap latches with 2 little rollers from Lowe's and put them on all 6 drawers. Haven't had a problem since.

We had disc brakes put on ours when we ordered it and they do make a difference. We just had the MorRyde IS done at Elkhart last month and changed to Kodiak discs at the same time. I couldn't tell any difference between them and the original Dexter's. They both work very well but supposedly the Kodiaks use parts that can be had just about anywhere.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
Tom, the drawers that open while sitting still are the ones in the corner under the angled TV cabinet. Part of the problem is our 4X4 truck is taller than the trailer was designed for, so it's a downhill ride for the drawers. They do run into the bed eventually. One of the drawers under the closet also opens, the other one runs into the slide.

IMO they shouldn't open regardless. Not even in a coach clearly intended for full-timing. Our Beaver Patriot was even more 'residential' yet all the drawers and cabinet doors had passive yet positive latches.

It seems especially critical for the drawers and cabinets to stay closed in the Excel given how little clearance there is for the slides. I do appreciate that the designers maximized the slide dimensions so little space was wasted, but the consequence is there is no room for error. None. The slide misses the entertainment cabinet door handle by less than 1/8".

I'll take them out and see what the issue is with them. I'm certain that I'll add some hardware to those drawers and cabinet doors that can interfere with the slide operation. The horror stories of crushed cabinetry and damaged slides won't be ignored by us. I learned a long time ago that Murphy is my uncle and never far away.

OAN, what's the scoop on the Excel Owners Club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Quickly. On the drawers sliding out in the bedroom. If the drawers are at the end of the bed, they don't have the "stay closed" feature in the hardware. They figure the bed mattress closing on the them will keep them closed when traveling. If they are opening on their own when setting still I would guess the rig is not very level side to side. All other drawers should stay closed. Take one drawer out and looking at the sliding hardware should allow you to see what is wrong. Only takes a second.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #20

Thanks Jim. I'm sure the kinks will get worked out. The biggest kink will be making the decisions on each issue. Try to fix the galley faucet leak with a $45 cartridge or buy a new $250 faucet. Work on solving the water heater problems/obsolescence or replace it with an on-demand tankless water heater. I've have an assortment of latch hardware from past RVs. Most are for cabinet doors though.

The first order of business is to winterize it before the hard freeze predicted in 2 weeks.

Dexter vs. MOR/ryde? At first I thought the MOR/ryde IS was much better. Then, we got to the frost heaves around Winnipeg, Manitoba and discovered they didn't help a bit in those conditions. I think it helped mostly on the minor tar strip type of thing. I'll be sticking with the Dexter. The only question is whether to still with the Delrin bushings or go the HD route with bronze bushings & zerks.

Kodiak disc brakes vs. drums. No contest. The disc brake conversion was worth its weight in gold. The Excel is about 4,000# heavier than our smaller Arctic Fox and the difference is significant when braking, even after doubling the setting on the controller.

Demco pin box vs. MOR/ryde? Our AF has a MOR/ryde pin box; the Excel has the Demco. Unfortunately, the bolt patterns are different because I'd be swapping them in a hot minute if they were. Another project for the back burner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Congrats on the purchase. Hope things go smoothly in working out the kinks.

We had problems with a drawer in our bedroom never staying closed. I bought some of those cheap latches with 2 little rollers from Lowe's and put them on all 6 drawers. Haven't had a problem since.

We had disc brakes put on ours when we ordered it and they do make a difference. We just had the MorRyde IS done at Elkhart last month and changed to Kodiak discs at the same time. I couldn't tell any difference between them and the original Dexter's. They both work very well but supposedly the Kodiaks use parts that can be had just about anywhere.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #21
JDT

We were considering a MorRyde pin box to replace our Demco but they don't make one that fits the hole pattern on our Winslow.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From my understanding Kodiak uses a single piston on their 7,000 lb axle per wheel. I chose Dexter in part because they use two inboard and two outboard pistons per wheel on their 7,000 lb axles. I do not know the PSI each piston produces for either brand, might be an interesting detail. But I do really like the Dexter disk brakes. Between two axles I have 16 pistons.

The trailer brakes alone easily stops the entire rig in a big hurry from the hand controller if that's ever needed.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:27 AM   #23

I was hoping the MOR/ryde pin box would be a simple swap from our Arctic Fox, but no such luck this time. Not even close. I'll put the OE pin box back on the AF and put the Lippert 1116 compatible MOR/ryde pin box on Craig's List.

I've only done some preliminary checking so far, but it's looking like the hole pattern on our 2007 30RKE matches the hole pattern for the Fabex 530 which MOR/ryde offers a pin box for. The length of the pin box is an inch or two longer or shorter depending on the exact model, but I don't think that's a problem for our long bed Ram. It probably won't be very high on the priority list though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
We were considering a MorRyde pin box to replace our Demco but they don't make one that fits the hole pattern on our Winslow.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 AM   #24

It is true that a fixed caliper with multiple pistons can offer higher performance than a single-piston floating caliper. However, after having had both and worked on both, my experience is that the ease of servicing the fixed caliper design is a bigger advantage than the theoretical performance advantages.

It's the same reason that I made sure our diesel pusher had S-cam brakes instead of wedge brakes or some other alternative. Ease of servicing can be worth a whole lot.

OTOH, driving habits can make a serious difference in brake life. I often get well over 200K miles out of a set of brakes. I doubt I'd ever wear out the brakes on an RV. But, stuff happens. An axle seal leaked and got gear oil on the Beaver. It didn't matter how thick the brake linings were - they were ruined. But, the ease of servicing still paid off. a truck shop did a complete brake job for $600, including the seal. I have friends with other systems on their Beavers that paid over $2K for a single axle.

Stopping with disc brakes on the trailer. Our Holiday Rambler tipped the scales at 12,200#; truck and trailer were 20,980# actual weight. After having the disc brakes installed, we drove down the west side of the Snoqualmie Pass in Washington. As mountain passes go, it is very mild but it did give us an opportunity to see what the brakes could do. I accelerated to 60, then braked firmly to 30, then powered back to 60, braked to 30, again and again. After 8 times of braking from 60 to 30, I pulled over and braked firmly to a complete stop. Effortlessly. Zero fade. No, I didn't mash the pedal to the floor - that would have been stupid and unsafe in traffic. But I did 8 solid serious slow downs followed by a complete stop with no drama. Drum brakes couldn't have done that twice without fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
From my understanding Kodiak uses a single piston on their 7,000 lb axle per wheel. I chose Dexter in part because they use two inboard and two outboard pistons per wheel on their 7,000 lb axles. I do not know the PSI each piston produces for either brand, might be an interesting detail. But I do really like the Dexter disk brakes. Between two axles I have 16 pistons.

The trailer brakes alone easily stops the entire rig in a big hurry from the hand controller if that's ever needed.

Tags
excel