Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

New Excel Owner - Glad to be part of the family! Questions!

Just bought a 2006 Excel Limited 30RSO

When I decided to buy a new rv I looked at every brand and decided on the best. Excel. I was so sad to discover they had gone out of business just this year. That didn't stop me though.

First, let me say that My heart goes out to the folks in Smith center and I wish you all the best. You built me a great coach and I'm proud of it.

I paid 18k cash for it with an original optioned cost of just over 80k.

The bad: the front cap seam had a small leak at one point and the front closet rear wall is soft. No clue on extent of damage, it is dry now and leak was fixed as soon as it was noticed according to the original 1 owner.

The rest of the vents are fine but I noticed a small leak at the rear vent in a heavy heavy rain storm so I know the dicor needs replacing. I will take care of that.

My question is should I rip out the front wall and take a look or just roll with it and make sure the roof is tight and sealed?

There are no other soft spots, no soft slide floors, no other usual things you would look for in an excel of this age that are deficient.

No frame twisting, all slides operate properly, it towed very nicely even with my puny little Reese hitch. No seam separations, no delamination.

The good: it looks like brand new, was customized with access panels in the garage with sliding door access to the underbelly area where the whole rv water filter, inverter, etc is located, a sliding compartment with storage for sewer parts and cutouts for each one, has upgraded mor ryde suspension, rear factory hitch, disc brakes. I'm sure there are other options I am missing. I don't have the build sheet in front of me but the owner left all travel receipts and the rv was only used to travel on the road for 6 months when it was new.

I feel like I got an excellent deal overall considering the high retail bluebook value as optioned is around 39k.

My other questions are:

Was it a good deal?

What other general recommended maintenance should I perform?
WorkRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. I think I would tear into the closet wall to see what damage has been done. History of that water damaged area usually indicates there is mold in there that needs tending to, much less some wood damage. That is kinda unusually for a 2006 to have a leak there as they started using Eternabond tape on the front/middle and rear cap/roof moldings. However there is an area (a point) where the side/cap/roof all come together that you need to watch and keep caulked. That area flexes with normal usage and can get gaps that need to be filled with caulk. I check mine every wash job or more often.

Also check the seam where the fiberglass roof meets the side walls for gaps/loose caulking especially near the front of the rig and over the slides.

Hope you checked the slide floors bottoms for soft areas/water damage on the ends of the each slide. There's been so much written about that I won't get into that.

Again, welcome and we hope to hear more on your Excel experiences! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #3

We have 2006 Limited 33 ft. 2nd Rockins advice, most times he knows what he's talking about (most-:-) times. Can not stress enough about the chalking thing. Don't know how much you can/want to do yourself. We just came back from Smith Center, Excel Service Center (more on that later) and found we will have to replace the bedroom slide floor. We knew we had some rust showing on a frame. Will do that in the Spring on our way home from the SW. Even though The Boss climbs around/over everything double checking stuff seems to show up. As to whether you got a good deal, once a deal is done it really doesn't matter whether is a good one or not. As long as YOU are happy... At that price you can do a lot of repairs and still be ahead. Thats the way we've always look at it. Don't know where you live but appears you are still working. I'd recommend have Repair center do a good going over & listening to their recommendations etc. You will like your Excel !!
Old 11-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #4

There was a mildew smell in the coach seeming to come from that area. It is gone now after a few days of running a dehumidifier full on. Mold isn't dangerous if you starve it out completely. I think I will tear into it though. I've stalked you a lot on here before registering and some of your posts swayed me towards excel initially.

I figured you or texastwostep? Sp? Would be the first to reply.

It's not a visible area but what do you normally put back to cover it? A thin cedar panel is what I'm thinking. Plus who doesnt love the smell of cedar

I'm no carpenter but im quite handy with duct tape so if there's obvious wood rot I might just have to hire in some family to help.

Thanks for the reply rockintom'

Does anyone have a picture of the interior of the front cap with the inside panel removed?

I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks guys! And gals!
Old 11-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #5

Duly noted copilot, I live in Florida.

No soft floors, all the slide floors look brand new, no sag or rusty screw heads.

I've been looking into more permanent sealing solutions because the eternabond has started to peel a little. I may just clean the seams well and go over it all with the super wide 8-10" eternabond.

We travel for work doing large fairs like the Florida state fair, Tennessee state fair, Georgia national fair, Pensacola interstate fair, the list goes on and on.

I could pay someone to do these things but I'd like to gain the knowledge through experience.

Give a man a fish..... You guys know how the saying goes.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

20,760gcwr unloaed

No individual component is overloaded.

Switching to 19.5" rims and semi tires to gain more tire capacity, right now I am 800lbs under the tire rated capacity.

4000lb front axle

6000lb rear axle

10760lb trailer axle

Hitch is mounted so center of kingpin is 2" forward of rear axle.

Exceeding gvwr and gcwr by 1200lbs and 760lbs respectively, unloaded. No sway on turns, I know I'll be fine even loaded.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkRVing View Post
There was a mildew smell in the coach seeming to come from that area. It is gone now after a few days of running a dehumidifier full on. Mold isn't dangerous if you starve it out completely. I think I will tear into it though. I've stalked you a lot on here before registering and some of your posts swayed me towards excel initially.

I figured you or texastwostep? Sp? Would be the first to reply.

It's not a visible area but what do you normally put back to cover it? A thin cedar panel is what I'm thinking. Plus who doesnt love the smell of cedar

I'm no carpenter but im quite handy with duct tape so if there's obvious wood rot I might just have to hire in some family to help.

Thanks for the reply rockintom'

Does anyone have a picture of the interior of the front cap with the inside panel removed?

I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks guys! And gals!
This is the only pic I have which is one that hasn't had the "snoot" put on yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smith Center KS 048 (Copy).JPG
Views:	76
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	111724  
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel