Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2020, 07:51 AM   #1
JDT

New Hauler

Got my truck yesterday and anxious to give it a try with the Winslow. My concern is it does seem to sit higher that my previous truck. The Winslow sat a bit nose high with my previous Ford and there is no room for any more adjusting of the pin box or the hitch. The refreshed 6.7 with the 10 speed transmission has certainly got the torque. I am surprised at the payload. I was hoping for 4K. What I got gives me about a 700 pound cushion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0155.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	271097   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	271098  

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	271099  
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Got my truck yesterday and anxious to give it a try with the Winslow. My concern is it does seem to sit higher that my previous truck.

Good looking truck - based on the specs for your 2020, it looks like the top of the box is about 58" from ground with the 20" wheels. If you can't make any additional adjustments to hitch or pin box, then swapping out your wheels to a smaller diameter and or lower tire profile should help to lower the bed height.

I don't recall what year your prior truck was, but my 2014 F450 has 17" wheels and box is at 55" - I had to change pin box position to get it to tow level with about 5" to 6" clearance above the top rail.
steeltom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:01 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Jim, that's a nice looking truck. Pretty fancy for an Okie! Ha. I can say that since I was born in Ponca City!

Question, do you have the spring perchs set to the lowest hole (highest ride) on your Winslow? Assuming you have the standard suspension.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
JDT

Thanks, Tom. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. I wanted a short bed but just couldn't get the payload I needed. I started out wanting a Lariat but by the time I put the options on it I wanted it was within $2500 of the Platinum, which has some stuff you can't get on a Lariat so thought it was worth it. I bought it using the Costco plan plus had $3500 in rebates which expire today so just barely got it in time.

We had the MorRyde IS installed a couple of years ago so no adjusting there. I can't have the Winslow sitting any taller or it would not fit in my 13' garage door opening. It just barely clears as it is. I have a Trailer Saver BD3 air hitch and have to dump the air out of it to get the front a/c to clear the opening.

The only other thing I could possibly do is change adapter plates for the puck system. I have a Reese adapter that adds 3 3/8 inches to the height of the hitch. Choices are limited but it does appear a Demco adapter sits an inch and half or so lower. I'm not sure how much difference that would make.

The other option is get a hitch that fits directly to the pucks but I just don't want to give up my air ride Hensley. It really makes a difference in the towing ride. I need to hook and see how it fits but it will be a few days before I can do that.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltom75 View Post
Good looking truck - based on the specs for your 2020, it looks like the top of the box is about 58" from ground with the 20" wheels. If you can't make any additional adjustments to hitch or pin box, then swapping out your wheels to a smaller diameter and or lower tire profile should help to lower the bed height.

I don't recall what year your prior truck was, but my 2014 F450 has 17" wheels and box is at 55" - I had to change pin box position to get it to tow level with about 5" to 6" clearance above the top rail.
To get the 12,400 GVWR requires either the 18 or 20 inch wheels with all terrain tires. The at's have a 3750 weight capacity and the all seasons have 3620 or something like that. I think the diameter of the 18's and 20's is about the same.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
The other option is get a hitch that fits directly to the pucks but I just don't want to give up my air ride Hensley. It really makes a difference in the towing ride. I need to hook and see how it fits but it will be a few days before I can do that.

Looks like Hensley now has a TrailSaver air ride hitch (BD5) made for Ford puck system that sits flat on bed- here's the link:
http://www.trailersaver.com/product/...d-ford-trucks/

Link to manual
http://www.trailersaver.com/wp-conte...BD5-Manual.pdf
steeltom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
JDT

Thanks, Tom H. I called Hensley today and in addition to the BD5 they just came out with a BD3 with pucks for all the big 3, including the new GM trucks which changed the puck pattern in their 2020's. I'll get it hooked up pretty soon and see how it looks.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #8

Jim,
Very nice truck, should be an outstanding TV. The payload spec on the SB was one of my top reasons for going Chevy but it was a tough choice since the Ford did offer some options NA on the GM. Both looked so much taller I was worried on the height issue too but the Chevy actually has a lower bed height than the previous truck. Unlike you I'm not in the new truck yet, the dealer is STILL waiting for parts to repair the 2020 used Chevy I found back in November. I sure wish the SB Ford could have matched the 4185# payload of the Chevy.

Brad
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote