Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #1

I am looking at purchasing a new Excel, for our next full time rig, but I'm getting mixed reports on them, ie; water leaks, and slide out problems. Do you think these are an issue ?. Time is running out, I need to order something soon, but it seems everytime we think we have found the right unit for us, I always here something negative about the manufacture. Any help please.
fulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #2

I am looking at purchasing a new Excel, for our next full time rig, but I'm getting mixed reports on them, ie; water leaks, and slide out problems. Do you think these are an issue ?. Time is running out, I need to order something soon, but it seems everytime we think we have found the right unit for us, I always here something negative about the manufacture. Any help please.
fulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
FT,
I'm one of the guys who struggled with water leaks in our new trailer. No excuses – it should have been assembled better.

But we remain very pleased with our choice of this 33RSE. We started fulltiming in it in July 07. We looked at a lot of fifth wheels for over a year. Particularly for the money, you can't go wrong with an Excel. And their customer support - you couldn't expect more!

Sincerely,
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
'fulltime'
IMO, Peterson Ind. (PI) has gotten the problems corrected on their production line and I don't believe you'll have similar issues. This is our third RV and without a doubt, PI is the finest manufacturer and the best customer service you will find in the industry. We will go back for 'seconds' in a couple of years.
John
Old 03-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
maybe I am just an unlucky guy, but all the trailers and 5th wheels I have ever owned have had water line leak issues.

That said, I am very happy with the build quality of our Excel, and I would not hesitate to purchase another.

We have only had one water leak in our Excel, with a fitting at the rear of the hot water heater. (in 1 1/2 years of use) Other trailers we have owned have given us much more water issues. (roof leaks and split lines)

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Water leaks and slide issues are not unique to Excels...they can happen with any brand of RV. What you want is a good manufacturer who will stand behind their product and make any problems right. Peterson Industries is such a manufacturer.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
FT,

Welcome to the forum. Nice handle.

We selected Excel for quality, robust design, durability, and reputation for service (as well as one can tell from dealers and forums). Thus far it has proven to be the right choice for us. Last week I needed a part (warranty) and called Donna. After I explained my problem she went to the floor (or Service) and learned about the affected assembly. When she called me back she provided instructions on how to do the job and shipped the replacement part same day.

PI takes Customer Satisfaction very seriously. I have no reservation in making an unqualified recommendation.

Good luck and have fun!
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Just as some of the others, we have had a water intrusion problem in the lower part of the slide-outs; however, PI fixed the problem and I feel pretty sure that issue is a thing of the past. The quality of Excel's construction is very good if not the best in the industry. Most of the issues that you read about in this forum have been resolved and new production coaches should serve you well. With that said, I would not hesitate to recommend to you an Excel RV. Factory service after the sale is truly outstanding which is one of the most important issues when making this kind of investment. If we ever get tired of this coach, another Excel would be my first choice.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:43 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
'fulltime'
The most important part of the Excel equation is that you become a member of this elite family!

On edit, changed "group" to "family", thanks for setting me straight 'P3 guy'!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #10

Chief:
Beg to differ with you....Not a group but a family. It's been that way since I joined it in 1999.

Texan by choice. (even before Escapees)....... Not by chance.
P3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fulltime:
it seems everytime we think we have found the right unit for us, I always here something negative about the manufacture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One thing you have to keep in mind is that people are very quick to complain, but don't often praise a good product/service. So, when you're reading various RV forums, you'll hear more horror stories than you will good things...that's just human nature.

I doubt there's an RV brand in existence that's *never* had a bad word said about it.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Welcome fulltime,

I'm one that has had some water line leakage (thankfully not the roof) but as I have said I still like my Excel. I think Excel still makes the best 5er on the road bar none. It just takes a little to get a few bugs worked out.

I say they are the best and this is after having 4 other 5ers and to may other RVs to even count. Our last unit was a high end unit also but it did not compare to this unit. It might have been glitzier (is there such a word) but where it counts it doesn't compare to the Excel.

Out of 5 different houses that my wife and I have bought new there has only been one that hasn't had a problem that we had to have them come back in and fix and 3 of the 5 were custom. Believe me we were shocked on the last custom one that didn't need anything fixed after buying. So I think we have to take that into consideration also.

I don't know if you noticed but Bryan Tillet responds to posts on here all the time. There are not many companies that the president of them takes time to respond to our concerns. This is a big plus to me. He has sent me emails to help with my concerns besides responding on here. This means a lot to me.

This is just IMO
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #13

I'm guessing if you took a survey, the percentage of people with slide out and leaks would be a minuet #. I have an 05 33RSO that when it's not on the road it is keep at a camping club site I belong to. It's winter here in the Illinois (trailer is near the Wisconsin border) and my wife and I are up there every chance we get. Slides have been in and out and we've had a lot of freeze-thaw, freeze-thaw. No problems. While I've experienced some minor issues, they were just that and I took care of them myself. If I ever get rid of this trailer and it's not to move into Class A, my next one will be an Excel. Best of luck and looking forward to seeing you as a regular at the Excel forum.

Larry B