Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Newbie in need of help

Hi everyone.

We're new at this and confused. Our "new to us" 33 RSE was showing no reading (empty) for the fresh water and holding tanks and low/medium for the gray water tank. We're going to be on the road tomorrow, so I put some water in the fresh water tank for personal use while we're in transit. I expected the "low" light to come on but it didn't. What really surprised me, though, is that now the gray water tank has "low/medium/full" lit up. (I definitely put the water in the fresh water tank, behind the little locked door) Also, when I turn on the switch for the pump, instead of coming on briefly I hear it just staying on, and no water comes out of the faucet.

Does the pump need more than a couple of minutes to pressurize the water lines? About how long? What does it mean for the graywater tank to have low/medium/full all lit up? Why not just "full" if that's truly the situation? Can the water pump run indefinitely without burning up? We haven't found any indications of a water leak anywhere, and we've looked.

Thanks a lot.

Tom & Ginger

2006 33RSE Ltd
walkingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Tom,

Sadly, sometimes things don't work as they should. It should only take a few seconds to pump up the water system if you have at least 20 % in the tank and are not on a big slope.

Gauges are known not to work well at best. Most experienced users just fill every so often, and dump every so often and don't rely on their meters.

You might need a new pump or some parts.
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Depends on how much water you put in, but it sounds like there's possibly a problem with the sensor panel.

As for the water pump they'll continue to run if there's a lot of air in the system. I'd open just the cold on one faucet and see if I could feel any air coming out. Once purged out the pump should turn off on it's own.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingman View Post
Hi everyone.

We're new at this and confused. Our "new to us" 33 RSE was showing no reading (empty) for the fresh water and holding tanks and low/medium for the gray water tank. We're going to be on the road tomorrow, so I put some water in the fresh water tank for personal use while we're in transit. I expected the "low" light to come on but it didn't. What really surprised me, though, is that now the gray water tank has "low/medium/full" lit up. (I definitely put the water in the fresh water tank, behind the little locked door) Also, when I turn on the switch for the pump, instead of coming on briefly I hear it just staying on, and no water comes out of the faucet.

Does the pump need more than a couple of minutes to pressurize the water lines? About how long? What does it mean for the graywater tank to have low/medium/full all lit up? Why not just "full" if that's truly the situation? Can the water pump run indefinitely without burning up? We haven't found any indications of a water leak anywhere, and we've looked.

Thanks a lot.

Tom & Ginger

Are you trying to fill you’re hot water tank at the same time to? If you are that will take some time so open a hot water valve to let the air out. Evidently you purchased this from a private person or a dealer that doesn’t sell Excels. These things should have been gone over before purchasing. Here is a link to Peterson Industries web site that will give you tips on how to clean you’re gauges.
Money Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #5

Without being there to see and touch it__its makes it harder to troubleshoot something like this from here. You might have several things that you need to look at or might be a cause. As someone else asked, did you buy it from a dealer or individual and have you been using the unit and everything has been working up till now?

……was showing no reading (empty) for the fresh water and holding tanks and low/medium for the gray water tank.
…..I put some water in the fresh water tank for personal use while we're in transit. I expected the "low" light to come on but it didn't____ now the gray water tank has "low/medium/full" lit up.
……What does it mean for the gray water tank to have low/medium/full all lit up? Why not just "full" if that's truly the situation?

Could be that the sending unit wires are reversed at the tanks or behind the monitor panel?
Can you see your fresh water tank to see what it's level is? From your statement, of adding to the fresh water tank and the gray now showing higher, that would be my first guess, unusual for sure.

I can't remember, but believe that my lights also light up as the tanks get full. After all the sending unit is making contact with the fluid and sending a signal to the panel.

…… when I turn on the switch for the pump, instead of coming on briefly I hear it just staying on, and no water comes out of the faucet. Does the pump need more than a couple of minutes to pressurize the water lines?

As been mentioned, open only one cold water faucet to get the pump primed. If my system has been drained, I will normally connect to city water open my faucets and use the city pressure to fill and build pressure in the lines. Than use the pump, less work and easier for me anyway.

Should have determined if the fresh water tank has water in it. If so, than the pump doesn't seem to be priming to build up pressure. You might want to make sure that there isn't a valve between the tank and pump that needs to be opened, my system has one. Look at the inlet screen to insure it is clean and clear. If the tank is empty, shouldn't be as you used the correct inlet to fill the tank, don't know where the water went if not in the fresh water tank. You also have an additional valve to fill the tank when connected to 'city water' __but that’s another story.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Check that valve "E" in Workshops drawing is closed.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:43 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
You people are great.

It's true that we bought the rig (both the truck and the 33 RSE) from an individual. We had it checked out by an RV outfit, but it wasn't an Excel dealer. At the moment we have it parked at the Boulder Elks Lodge, which is a very handy 15-minute walk on beautiful paths from our house. The plan is to take short trips and get some experience (and confidence), then lease the house and go full time, hopefully next year some time. We have zero RVing experience, as you've probably guessed.

Anyway, you've given me a number of ideas to try on the water system. I'll report back later today, one way or another.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Tom & Ginger

2006 33RSE Ltd
Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Boy, do I feel stupid.

The problem was just a closed valve between the fresh water tank and the pump. I have no idea why it was closed, but thanks to your responses, when I finally got back over there to take a look it only took about 2 minutes to resolve.

THANKS AGAIN!

Tom & Ginger

2006 33RSE Ltd
Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #9

We all get caught by something at some point, glad it was smiple and a learning experience. Sometimes its the easy things we overlook.

Might want to keep an eye on the level in the fresh water tank for a short period of time and ensure that the water level in the tank doesn't change?

The prior owner could have had that valve closed as it's coming out of being winterized.....he never used anything other than 'city water'....or a remote situation that has happened now and then, a faulty check valve in the pump that allowed water to flow back through the pump, filling the tank, when connected to 'city' pressure...causing another problem.

As your new and learning, as you say, just food for thought.

In the above drawing___with valves A and E open, you can fill your fresh water tank while connected to city water without having to use the filler behind the "locked door". Hope thats clear.

Good luck,
Old 06-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingman View Post
Boy, do I feel stupid.

The problem was just a closed valve between the fresh water tank and the pump. I have no idea why it was closed, but thanks to your responses, when I finally got back over there to take a look it only took about 2 minutes to resolve.

THANKS AGAIN!

Tom & Ginger
We found something similar during our PDI. It's actually very educational to watch someone with lots of experience with these things show you how to track things through the rig and solve the issues. Lots of notes taken that day!!!!