Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #1

Well, we're scheduled for a tour of the plant week after next!!! We'll be in the KC area for my daughters wedding on the 21st & decided to do the tour (along with SOB in Junction City).
Have to admit that I was a tad 'concerned' after calling a month ago to find nothing was scheduled for production. But talked to both places today & there should be couple of units @ both. That was VERY welcome news!

We joined the RVCG group, so I'm trying to study the book in reference to plant tours. Larry is busy trying to learn a new digital SLR camera for his "job" of wedding photographer. He's decided it's a perfect job for a step-dad as it gives him something to focus on without being a 5th wheel. (5th wheel....??? Hmmm--LOL)

So if anyone has hints, checklists, refernces to prepare us please share them, or point us in the right direction.

We're also planning to attend Escapees Boot Camp in May, so another chance to visit the kids. At least the ones NOT in Iraq. We were fortunate enough to attend 2 LOW sessions last year & to meet Gaylord. It just made us realize how little we really know.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I have been living fulltime for 11 years and have never heard of RVCG. I have heard of the Escapees , but not Low or Gaylord. I would imagine these and a lot of other names try to sell their services to apprentice Rvers to get there money instead of letting them learn on the job.(road) I really can’t ad any direction for you to go, it sounds like it going….Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hooligan House..I have heard some fun things about the Escapees "Boot Camp" ...go -have fun & enjoy! OK.. what is the SOB you will tour?(You do know it will be an Excel though-don't you!? )
Good Luck!!
Book..."Gaylord" Maxwell passed away this past year. He wrote a column for Motorhome magazine and did seminars on RVing. He was well known & well liked in the RV community.
RVCG is the "RV Consumer Group". I believe it is like Consumer Reports but it is for RVs.
Low - I believe is "Loners on Wheels" - for single people traveling on their own.

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
"LOW" was Life on Wheels created by Gaylord Maxwell.
Sounds like the SOB in Junction City might be New Horizons. Very well constructed, very heavy, and very expensive.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the correction,Steve!
MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Well, we're scheduled for a tour of the plant week after next!!! We'll be in the KC area for my daughters wedding on the 21st & decided to do the tour (along with SOB in Junction City).
Have to admit that I was a tad 'concerned' after calling a month ago to find nothing was scheduled for production. But talked to both places today & there should be couple of units @ both. That was VERY welcome news!

We joined the RVCG group, so I'm trying to study the book in reference to plant tours...

We're also planning to attend Escapees Boot Camp in May, so another chance to visit the kids. At least the ones NOT in Iraq. We were fortunate enough to attend 2 LOW sessions last year & to meet Gaylord. It just made us realize how little we really know.
Hooligan House,
We've been at this FT'ing for just about a yr now and love it. Our choices have served us very well. One thing we do often is look at SOB's to "confirm" our decision to buy an Excel and get new ideas for decorating. We also look to possibly a change of floor plans in the future.

What I do when looking at the SOB's is look to the details. What is standard and what has to be special ordered? What's the basic construction like, wood vs aluminum? I prefer wood. It may be a little heavier but IMHO it's a better insulator. What's the storage look like? Are the whistles and bells functional or fluff? What's the quality of the mechanical items? A stove is not just a stove. Sit in the floor plan you want and not for 5 minutes. Make it an hour or 2 without the sales person there. Are you comfortable in it? Whats the wood work like, custom or off the shelf, solid or particle board? Can I make changes without selling my 1st born? What does the outside look like? How are the walls put together? Then talk to the workers whenever you can. Are they friendly or just there? A happy worker cares about what they are doing. Is the plant clean? Does it use modern technology in production? What have they changed in production in the last couple of years? Where can you get warranty service? Talk to the service techs there. Ask them what they would recommend their parents buy, as far as ammenities in the unit. Hope that helps.

I attended the LOW conference last year and was able to meet Gaylord. His passing sure is a loss to the RV'ing community. I'm surprised that no one is continuing the legacy.

Thanks to you and your children for their service to our country. WIthout them and their sacrifice we would not be able to have the freedoms we have today. Thank you!

Continue to ask questions here too. There's a ton of information available and we are all willing to help you transition to your new adventure, Full Timing in an "Excel".
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #7

Thanks for all the great replies==some good stuff here to study. But then I figured these are the brains to pick about this subject.

Yes, the SOB is New Horizons. Our short list got shorter when Hitchhiker went out. Pretty much Excel & NH at this point. We're wanting to stay 30-ish ft max so that cuts out most of the full time recommended companies I've been told about.

Steve--are you FT in the Arctic Fox? Who makes it?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Hooligan House. No, we are weekend, long trip folks only at this time. (Darn the housing market!) We do plan to fulltime, hopefully in the near future and have looked at the NHs, Excels, Carriages, and most every other 5vr still in existence. I guess the down housing market in our area is giving us the opportunity to do more research before making our decisions.
Arctic Foxes are made by the Northwood Company. They are located in La Grande, OR.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #9

I usually found that when the wife refuses to get out of a unit at an RV show, you're done huntin'. David