Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
No power to kitchen sink light

The fluro light over the kitchen sink doesn't work. I have determined that I have no 12v power to the light. The wires go up into the bottom of the cabinet and then who knows where. Kitchen 12v fuse works, and all the other 12v lights and motors work.

Dunno where to look, other than hidden 12v splices who knows where. Maybe start at the nearest 12v ceiling fixture?

Otherwise, I guess I'm looking at replacing it with a battery powered light, which I would rather not use.

Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #2

Here is a drawing I did on my unit that showed the 'connection' of the 12vdc lighting by fuse. Know it doesn't match yours...but may give an idea of how they might have been connected or grouped.

If you have checked for 12v at the connection at the light fixture and its not present...one would have to assume that you may have a back connection somewhere in the system. I have only had the occasion to remove a couple of my fixtures over the years and all had a plug somewhere close to the fixture. Have you tried pulling lightly on the wires to see if the plug/socket is just within the access hole with the cabinet?

Have you had other issues lately that you have worked on that might be related to this fixture? If your using a meter to check for 12v at the fixtures plug, might try using a different ground to check for 12v at the plug incase you have 12v but not the ground...?

workhorse

Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
The fluro light over the kitchen sink doesn't work. I have determined that I have no 12v power to the light. The wires go up into the bottom of the cabinet and then who knows where. Kitchen 12v fuse works, and all the other 12v lights and motors work.

Dunno where to look, other than hidden 12v splices who knows where. Maybe start at the nearest 12v ceiling fixture?

Otherwise, I guess I'm looking at replacing it with a battery powered light, which I would rather not use.

Are you damn sure you don't have power to that light??? I would double check and make sure you have a good ground. Is this the same slide where you had that "hornets nest" of splice wiring at the slide electrical box junction when you had the new rams installed at Riverside (Lippert repair). I would think that if that area was the fault....you'd have more than one light out. My point again would to make sure and prove you don't have 12V and/or a bad ground at that light.......maybe another ballist issue. Just my thoughts. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you just need to check the On / Off switch is in the ON position.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
I think you just need to check the On / Off switch is in the ON position.
Come on 99, aren't you being a little condescending? Even Bruce knows that!!! I've worked with him on rebuilding his flourescent light and now he's an "expert". Smartassrockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom

Come on 99, aren't you being a little condescending? Even Bruce knows that!!! I've worked with him on rebuilding his flourescent light and now he's an "expert". Smartassrockin'
That's what the problem is! You worked with him on something that ain't mechanical. The 1st rule in electronic trouble shooting is to check switch position. That's the Navy training in me.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Youse guys are way off base. The light has no switch to it. It's just a fluro fixture over the kitchen sink. I removed the fixture and tested the two leads, you know, white and black. Used both a volt meter and a 12v probe tester. No juice.

No, this wiring is not in a slide, and runs on the opposite outside wall.

Hence my thought about looking at the closest overhead fixture. The wall switches are mounted closer, but I haven't seen any splicing at a switch. Have you?
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Bruce, I don't think anything in the switches will be your problem. I would verify that all fuses in the fuse box are good first. Then look for 12v on the both sides. From there I would check with a ohm meter to verify that you have a good ground on the light circut. Look at both sides, white to ground/black to ground. During this checking hook one side of your meter to a known ground in the fuse panel or to the battery ground. This will mean running some wire to the light location to make the testing easier.

Also when you are in the fuse panel make sure all connections are screwed down tight.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bruce, does the switch control more than this one light? If there is one switch for this one light, check voltage coming into the switch and then out of the switch. You just might have a bad switch.

From there, I'd disconnect the battery and trace the wires continuity to the fuse box. The problem has to be after the fuse box because power is being delivered from the battery. Make sure to check continuity through the fuse too. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
Bruce, does the switch control more than this one light? If there is one switch for this one light, check voltage coming into the switch and then out of the switch. You just might have a bad switch.

From there, I'd disconnect the battery and trace the wires continuity to the fuse box. The problem has to be after the fuse box because power is being delivered from the battery. Make sure to check continuity through the fuse too. Hope this helps.

Oh-oh.......another SKIA...military style!!!! I-I Major!!! Just funnin' ya
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Oh-oh.......another SKIA...military style!!!! I-I Major!!! Just funnin' ya
Since your demotion, there is a slot open. I'm still looking, but not at you!!

Any results Bruce?
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Since your demotion, there is a slot open. I'm still looking, but not at you!!

Any results Bruce?

Hey 99,

I'd take that as a shot!!!

rockin'
Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Hey 99,

I'd take that as a shot!!!

rockin'
Careful, Tim. That's a mighty heavy responsibility for us mere mortals. Look at what it did to poor old Washout. He may look OK but he'll likely never be the same happy go-lucky guy as he was before he did that looper on the desert that cost him his title.

Jim
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Bona View Post
Careful, Tim. That's a mighty heavy responsibility for us mere mortals. Look at what it did to poor old Washout. He may look OK but he'll likely never be the same happy go-lucky guy as he was before he did that looper on the desert that cost him his title.

Jim
The way you put here Jim it looks like I only did one thing wrong while in the sticks with you guys.......I thought it was several things that put me back to the peasant status!!!

BTW...I wonder if Bruce got his light fixed? rockinwashybaby

Tags
power