Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Norcold refer extended warranty

I would like your opinion on obtaining an extended warranty for a Norcold el/gas refer. I am a full-timer and often times a boondock camper so I use both elec and gas over a years time. I have a 2013 Excel and generally keep a rig 5 or so years. This is my first Norcold. I replaced a Dometic on my last rig after 5 yrs. and it cost around $1,300. I have looked at the Norcold web site and saw no reference to extended warranty so I don't know how much they cost or where to get one. Information will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Hey Gary,

Which Norcold model do you have?We've had (3) N1095s with no issues. I'm personally not nuts over the model N1210 models (only based off customer's verbal experience).

I didn't know you were FTing. It's my understanding RV refers (ammonia based) like to be moved up and down the road. Setting for very long times supposedly can create the clotting of the system in the orifice area of the cooling unit (expensive repair). We don't have extended warranty on ours......guess we'll just take our chances. If ours had a major failure.....I think I'd replace with a household residential unit. HTHs

BTW we have the halogen fire extinguisher in the outside opening of the refer. That's covered in another thread a while back. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Halogen? ....hmmmm. Strawberry Hill or Apple? Got ya!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Halogen? ....hmmmm. Strawberry Hill or Apple? Got ya!
Chief you are on it this morning!!! I'm surprised you didn't get on me for using Halogen which hasn't been used in regular firefighting for years. Works good for the small opening on the rear of the refer. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Halon Tommy....Halon...
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
And now we have more proof why Rockhead doesn't have the SKIA title anymore. Or he did mean halogen for a brighter light to clean the rear of the fridge of spider webs.

Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Back to Twostep's question, I never buy an extended warranty as I feel I'm just giving the company more money. Over several years I have yet to have a problem with any product that sell extended warranties.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Chief,

I should have remembered as I should think of Halo like on my head......oh never mind!!!!! rockin'
Old 01-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Hey Gary,

Which Norcold model do you have?We've had (3) N1095s with no issues. I'm personally not nuts over the model N1210 models (only based off customer's verbal experience).

I didn't know you were FTing. It's my understanding RV refers (ammonia based) like to be moved up and down the road. Setting for very long times supposedly can create the clotting of the system in the orifice area of the cooling unit (expensive repair). We don't have extended warranty on ours......guess we'll just take our chances. If ours had a major failure.....I think I'd replace with a household residential unit. HTHs

BTW we have the halogen fire extinguisher in the outside opening of the refer. That's covered in another thread a while back. rockin'
Mine is a N1095R. Never carried an extended warranty before but thought this might be an exception and wanted some opinions.
Yep, been full-timers for 4 years now. Nothing like Katrina, Rita and Ike to help you make your decision.
Life is simpler without a home and a with a free home base (courtesy of daughter).
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I've had the N1095R since 2010 and have replaced three doors because the lower plastic door hinge cracks and eventually fails. When I replaced the last door, I also replaced the Excel wood door inserts with the stock shiny black inserts and added the Norcold hinge support package. That was over a year ago which is longer than the first two doors made it. Campingworld carries the hinge support package and replacement doors and I got the door inserts from Amazon.
I also added the halon fire extinguisher.
With the above modifications, I wouldn't think you would need an extended warranty (Exel already extends the one year Norcold warranty to two years under their two year everything warranty, which is how I replaced the first door).
- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Most extended warranties put more cash into the pockets of the insurance company than it does into the consumers pocket.

I have been full-timing for over 12 years and been self insured all that time. If I had purchased extended warranties for that same amount of time, it would have cost me significantly more for the insurance payments.

Put the same amount of money you would pay to an extended warranty company into a bank account and when you have a problem draw for that account. I would bet that at the end you will be further ahead.

Plus the best part is that you don't have to wait to hear from the extended warranty company as to whether they will cover the repair or not. It's up to you!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
I've had the N1095R since 2010 and have replaced three doors because the lower plastic door hinge cracks and eventually fails. When I replaced the last door, I also replaced the Excel wood door inserts with the stock shiny black inserts and added the Norcold hinge support package. That was over a year ago which is longer than the first two doors made it. Campingworld carries the hinge support package and replacement doors and I got the door inserts from Amazon.
I also added the halon fire extinguisher.
With the above modifications, I wouldn't think you would need an extended warranty (Exel already extends the one year Norcold warranty to two years under their two year everything warranty, which is how I replaced the first door).
- John
Thanks for the reminder of the hinge support. I have added that to my last two rigs with the plastic hinges (the first had metal hinges). I've not incurred the broken hinge personally, but know of it happening a lot. The weak hinge in combination with the heavy wooden inserts, and a heavily loaded inside the door and bam!!! When you add the bouncing going down the road.....it's an accident ready to happen. We still take the real heavy items out of the inside of the door when travelling. rockin'
Old 01-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
You guys are making me thankful for opting for the residential Samsung refrigerator.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
If I had a major RV refer failure.......I'd do the residential for sure. More room for beer! rockin'

Tags
norcold