Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Now that it's cold out

Greetings from Northwest Illinois!

Mother noticed that the coach was a little drafty when I took the air conditioner filter out for cleaning a few weeks ago. Figured "heating" season would be a good time to clean it.

So before reinstalling the filter, I cut two squares of fiberglass insulation and put each piece in a plastic grocery bag. Tied the bags shut and carefully pushed them up into the intake air ducts. One of the ducts has some wires inside it so I was extra careful on that side. After I reinstalled the air filter and closed up the facia plate we took off and left the coach for the day.

When we leave we set the heat to 66 degrees. When we are in the coach we usually set the heat at 72 degrees. Imagine how surprised we were when we came home and found the heater not running and coach still pretty cozy--and on a damp winter day to boot. Seems like the furnace comes on a lot less these cold days and nights.

Between our bags of insulation and those insulated biscuits in the skylights we think we've cut the drafts down considerably! I'm wondering if I should remove the whole inside trim from the a/c unit and plug the ducts too?

gonfercoffee
Steve & Tanya
gonfercoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
We left NW IL mid-November after visiting our son in Elgin. I was born in Savanna, Sheila in Freeport. I graduated high school in Stockton, went to Comm college & Freeport & Computer Science in Rockford where I worked for 25 years. When my aerospace work was outsourced to India, we moved to Colorado, but came back to NW IL often to visit family. In 2008 we bought our first Excel & went full-timing after selling our CO passive solar off-grid home on 11-acres.

We spent from August to November 2011 stuck at Riverside City RV Park awaiting word from our dealer & Smith Center service center for warranty repairs to replace our three slide-out floors, gray water tank, & a whole laundry list of others stuff. By then our Excel dealer was no longer an Excel dealer. They finally declined the repairs when he saw they were real as he was busy with fall coach winterizing projects for his annual non-full time summer customers.

In Mid-November we moved out to Smith Center to battle high wind & snow, hoping they could start work on our 33RSE sooner than Dec 5, but Jack forgot to write down our appointment initially & we had to tell him the whole 27 chapter episode 3-4 times to finally jiggle his memory enough to remember us at all. We had Thanksgiving dinner with a few lonely Pheasant hunters staying at the Buckshot Inn while we stayed at the Athol RV park built for wind farm workers (60 sites & only us in 60mph winds on the open prairie for two weeks!). The morning of Dec 5 when we got into the service center it was 2 deg F & I had to shovel the 8" of snow & ice off the slide roofs to get them in, the front jacks were frozen to the ground, Ralph had a tough time thawing them out to get them raised up.

After $800 in additional non-covered non-warranty repairs (they said) while staying 4 nights & days in a frigid cinder block motel room, we were back on the road headed to a new Excel dealer to ask about ordering a brand new 41GKE toy hauler. But half-way there a large 10" crack appeared in the exterior fiberglass upper left corner of our big slide, one of the repairs had mid-aligned the slide stops itself.

A quick call to the Excel service center brought the bad news that they couldn't get us in for another couple of months. We re-routed to ABQ & paid the $400 fiberglass repair job ourselves & sold our 2nd Excel on consignment six months later. Our toy hauler quest had been greatly delayed since we couldn't work last winter while waiting for the warranty repairs & had four months of camping fees to pay for that ordinarily would have been free (since we would have been Workamping in the FL Keys with our work covering our site fees.

Someday we'll get that toy hauler, but it seems the cards were stacked against us last fall. When the factory keeps forgetting your warranty repair date or your former dealer calls you too fat because your metal stairs break, it is time to proceed in a different direction, LOL.

In the mean time we are having fun Workamping out of 90 SF in a big truck camper, but do get to visit our park model in Ft Myers a weekend or two in the winter on our days off as we can.

In April we head up to Illinois to prepare for the coming of our new grand baby. We are camp hosting at a USFS campground in S central CO next summer near Salida, CO @ 9,200'. Then will be back to IL in October for apple picking season & more grand baby stuff. Will the grand baby want grandpa to have a toy hauler or a truck camper? Stay tuned for further adventurers on the road, both may be in our future!

If it weren't for our sense of humor we'd have been committed long ago! It is our NEW IL roots that keep us at a happy perspective.

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

Phew! Now THAT'S a story; hope you have better luck with the new rig.
S&T
Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #4

After a week of living inside the coach, I finished plugging our rooftop A/C units cold air manifold with a shopping bag of insulation, and what a difference! Now that both the intake and cold air side are plugged, the drafts in the coach are nonexistent.

This time i cut the insulation in a rectangular shape that mirrored the shape of the "manifold", bagged it and reinstalled the fascia. Works good. For safety's sake I turned off the A/C breaker and blue tagged the handle. Gettin' pretty easy to forget things these days!

Enjoy the winter....where's all the snow?!

S&T
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonfercoffee View Post
Phew! Now THAT'S a story; hope you have better luck with the new rig.
S&T
We hold no ill will towards P.I. OR anyone. In fact it is hard for anyone to put themselves into the shoes of full-time RVers even though they may be building RV's for full-timers. If I was independently wealthy I'd probably be in a custom-built meg-buck Peterbuilt-like motorcoach, but I was downsized from aerospace at age 46 with my work being sent out to India (did I mention that I DO NOT FLY anymore?) ... so RV'ing & workamping was a great lifeboat plan compared to the alternative of starving. When you mix a former Test Engineer with RV'ing you get a lot of scrutiny of how RV's are built as I was used to building black boxes for military and commercial aircraft that still had to perform well after many nasty things have happened to them!

When we were trying to plead our case about the high cost of camping for 4 months waiting to get into the P.I. factory service center, Jack told us it wasn't their job to consider camping fees. Of course he completely missed the point, our normal living expenses were in control while we were able to perform our workamping duties. I am sure he was used to seeing thousands of retired folks with big fat pensions that allowed them to camp where they wanted for as long as they wanted without consideration to how much it would be costing them. Not us, when we were working on the farm we were eating out of the garden or hunting critters in the forest! When we could not go to our winter workamping jobs we were eating almost nothing and feeling real sheepish about having to stop at local food pantries!

When I tried to give Jack an idea of how much camping for 4 months costs (including missing out on all of those free employee meals back at the resort), he said he thought truck stops offered free RV hookups where we could stay for as long as we wanted!!! I guess it wasn't until then that I realized we were pretty alone on our 4 month journey in terms of whether we were going to survive mentally or to cave-in mentally like we wanted to the last week of our factory service ordeal.

In many ways it turned out good after that. No, we didn't get our custom-built toy hauler we wanted Bryan to start building for us. We had already spent that on camping at city parks and other low cost places like Athol, KS that offered no scenery at all. With our new coach we bought afterwards, we went exploring the back country USFS service areas where camp fees are rarely more than $6/night with no hookups. These were places that we could never fit into before. Our new coach was already had a pretty good boondocker setup, so we continued changing everything over to LED lighting and added the 250-watts of solar panels. After a bunch of camping @ 8,000 - 10,000' we thrived on it!!!! Getting up in the morning with the batteries still @ 94% full, having a week's worth of water/waste storage, and loving the combination of the mild mountain summer weather with bright morning sunshine. We were so successful at it we signed up to be full-time paid camp hosts at a USFS campground in S. central Colorado with no power hookups at all. The regular weekend folks there that have been coming there for years already were using solar panels and their generators. One would think the campground in paradise would be pretty noisy with all those generators running, but for the most part folks were running their generators less than two hours per day if at all. These folks do like us and spend most of their time out of doors rather than locking themselves in their coach all day.

All this has renewed our interest in getting another 5er, but not for the 43' toy hauler that would keep us out of many old forest service campgrounds. Instead we are thinking of a 26 - 28' 5er set up with the ability to tow our jeep behind us (which holds most of our bulky gold panning equipment). Since our dually truck can tow up to 21K lbs it would easily handle both the jeep & the Winslow 28TRW or the 28TRW & a utility trailer with a Kawasaki Mule, etc. Although I like the Mule idea better, Sheila really likes her jeep which goes to many places our dually truck cannot (narrow dirt switchback and low ceiling parking garages!!!). We might have to have both although I hate too much driving separately. Thank the Lord for family ham radio communications! There are tight places that we gold pan where I don't like taking the jeep that the mule would excel at (did I mention we use Iridium satellite text messaging so our relatives know we are still alive since cell phones don't work in many places we gold prospect?) ... so many choices, so few lifetimes to play with all of the toys! If we get the right combination of toys & 5ers we won't get stuck in any washout like Mr. Washout at least!!!! (Hi old buddy Tom, no slam intended!).

If we really like our current coach, why change? I am always looking ahead several years and although we are enjoying our current coach so completely, grand children are on their way soon (just learned that our first grand child will be a girl!!!). I do a lot of real-time stock trading, ham radio building, & things that swapping our dinette space around for a mixture of work, guest sleeping, & eating space is only fun on shorter trips rather than being out on the road for 13 months like we have with it.

Our first Excel was a 2001 28RGO, which only had 2 slide outs and not the 3rd slide out like the 28TRW. Before we bought our 33RSE, we considered the 28TRW in which we would curve out the two lazy-boy chairs to face the TV directly so I would have my desk inside the 3rd slide-out itself. This would keep the kitchen table free to be a table and the jacknife couch could free to be a couch or a bed.

One of the things that still bugs me is that our former IL Excel dealer told us that we were NEVER supposed to use our gray water tank to hold gray water!!!!! He said that if we just let our gray water drain onto the ground that the tank would have never broken (DUH!). He accused us of over-filling it on a daily basis. I assured him that we did overfill it once or twice, but our fresh water tank was limited in that we also had to divide it for use in the BW tank as well. We would empty our gray water tank into our blue boy and then take it over to the family farm septic cleanout. For us to hear that we should never be filling our GW tank beyond a few gallons probably reflects the fact that he was VERY frustrated (he sold a lot of entry level SOB coaches) with having to replace so many cracked GW & BW tanks over the years. Our current coach uses rotocast tanks and we have had no problems with capacity or leaking. We can stay out up to a week without too much of an issue as long as we do Marine showers and wash dishes in a bowel (to toss out to the bushes like the tent people do). But it would be nice to store 71 gallons of fresh water rather than our current 42 and so on. As to the broken GW & BW tanks, we had that problem on both our Excels. Our 2001 28RGO broke at the inlet pipe to the GW tank from our rear kitchen, but real slowly which meant the source was much harder to detect after battling a lot of humidity and wet basement plywood floors & insulation. Our 2009 33RSE broke at the center seam which meant it would leak like crazy just above half full. We were parked stationary on the family farm for a couple months just after our 2nd factory visit working for free on the family farm getting it ready for sale. That leak was discovered pouring out of the bottom insulation, what a mess! In my opinion the GW & BW tank does flex too much, even when the coach has been stationary, which causes the welded seam to split apart. Too bad that the factory does not take up Tom's advise to put in the extra straps or to use rotocast tanks which avoid that particular seam issue. I am not an expert here, I just see lots of room for improvement in this area on many, many brands of coaches.

BTW, when we were waiting to get into the factory in December 2011 we had some pretty ugly condensation issues to content with. We kept all of our closet and storage drawers open. With it getting down to nearly zero every night we had to slide our mattress down a bit or it wanted to grow mold up against the wall. Air flow was the key. The biggest air draft we had was necessary, the slots at the bottom of the door to the outside. If we ran the bathroom exhaust fan even these air slots were not enough as the BW toilet gaseous odors were still an issue if we did not also crack open an additional vent.

One thing that helps tremendously in winter is our current S.O.B. coach has snap-on flexible insulation covers for our ceiling vents, largest of windows, and skylight bubble. No more dripping of condensation! I plan to carry a lot of these cool ideas with me as we design our next 5er coach that will be our ultimate Boondocking machine.

Back to lurking and "Imagineering" for our next 5er.

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #6

I had some tank problems myself, but they were the result of me improperly flushing the tank. Took me awhile but I removed the old bruised stinker and put up a new one. On the advise of Rockin' Tom, I used additional strapping to hold both tanks up too. Once you laid underneath and saw what they looked like full of clear water that they could use some additional support was awfully evident. I'm kicking my ass for not replacing both valves while i down there. The new valve is as smooth as silk and the grey water tank valve moves a little harder. One day when I'm feeling spry i'm gonna wiggle in there and see if it's a cable routing problem.

Tanya and i did visit Smith Center to get some warranty items fixed and had nothing but good luck. We met a sweet couple from Oklahoma that were living in their coach full time and had a great couple of days running the roads around the countryside with them. I remember we stopped at a really nice locker and bought some awesome sausage!

Jack and staff were easy to work with and made sure the coach was tidyed up nice enough for us to "move back into" at night during the process. Our issues were not as complex as yours though by any means! Hell, it took me a couple three weeks to remove and replace the tanks by myself. I wasn't breaking any records for speed and did most of the work in the cold, but between Rockin' Tom's advise and a good bit of time on the phone with Jack, i got through it without creating any NEW PROBLEMS!

I liked the way the Excel is sealed up on the bottom with fiberglass bats and Kevlar sheeting so much that we did the same to our office trailer. What a difference! That old girl went from being as drafty as a phone booth to being super snug. I added a layer of foam board between the old sub floor and a new one i installed. Super good fix for cold feet in all but sub zero weather.

Finally getting some snow here, but i doubt it will amount to much.