Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Oily substance on one of front jack pads

Trying to find some info on the leveling jacks on our 2013 L36GKE. Looked through the limited product manuals I received with the trailer and found the manuals for the hydraulic pump and leveling system but no information on the jacks.. I would assume they are Lippert jacks since I have a Lippert leveling system. I couldn't find anything on their website that looked like the jacks on our trailer.

While preparing the trailer for a trip, I noticed an oily substance on one of the front jack pads. Looked in the generator compartment and didn't find any fluid. Crawled under the trailer and didn't notice any excess fluid on the jack piston. The piston didn't appear to have any rough or corroded areas. I didn't do a metallurgical study on the jack but the upper part of the jack looked like metal with a plastic-type cap where the piston exits the jack. The jack piston is a gray aluminum color. The plastic-like cap had the same oily substance while the upper metal part was clean. My assumption is the fluid is leaking at the metal/plastic joint. I didn’t notice a product label on the jack. I didn’t have time to fully investigate the problem. This appears to be a very slow leak with very little fluid visible.

Does anyone have any information on these jacks or had a similar problem? Will be leaving on a one week trip the end of this month and hoping this will not worsen. Going take some hydraulic fluid with me just in case.?
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Here's a picture of the jack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pictureofjack.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	169291
Old 07-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

What you see is a wiper. That is there to clean the chrome piston as it retracts into the cylinder.

Above that is the packing ring. That is the part that seals the oil in. The piston would need to come out to replace that.

I would cycle it up and down a few times while spraying WD40 or some other penetration oil on it. It may help stop the drip.

In most cases, it will be OK for your trip. They don't typically fail where they blow out. The leak will just get worse as time goes by.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Carl, I'll just give you what I know of these jacks. They are Lippert and they claim no serviceable parts for them. They will sell you a new $$$. I've had to replace 2 of them both rear. One was for leaking at the piston seal. I will tell you that those jacks can fool you on locating leaks since the bodies are painted black on Excels (SOBs are natural pot metal color). On black, the fluid (ATF) is very hard to see. On a small leak I suggest using toilet paper and dab all the areas from the top and work your way down from the inside. Easy to determine where the leak is. There are some aluminum plugs near the top of the jack with an allen head on them. They are prone to be loose or have the O rings that are damaged (those O rings are a special size). I' had 2 of them leak on the front of my rig. The fluid runs down hill to the bottom. If the piston seal is leaking maybe a local hydraulic shop could fix (rebuild) it, I never tried that. Let us know what you find. If it is a piston seal leaking just a bit you can go along time without any issues.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
The front hydraulic jacks on my '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE occasionally weep some hydraulic fluid and can see on the jack pads. It is very occasional and little fluid loss. Gives me cause to clean the jack pads. It will not leak again for months. No big worry for me.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the comments. I've been wanting to crawl under the trailer and look around to find where a mouse got in the trailer. It would be a good time to check, clean, and service the jacks and slide-outs.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #7

I had one leak at the seal and as Tom mentioned Lippert won't do anything but offer a full replacement unit, no parts, no replacing seals. Fortunately mine was a warranty job. It was leaking an occasional dribble, if it wasn't warranty I'd have probably have gone the way Dr Fife did, just wipe it off as needed.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #8

Well I will join the group of a leaking jack. Mine was easy to find, it is the crimp on the red hose. The fluid leaks and ends up on the pad. It is the driver side so I am guessing it is a long hose not easy to replace, but don't know. Waiting till after the new year to worry about it. Doesn't seem to do effect much when the slides are out, but when they are in, every few days the kitchen slide falls out an inch or two. I don't think there is enough slack in the hose to have it cut and a new end put on, but will explore that option..
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote