Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
One of the biggest mistakes...

...I made when ordering my Excel was not getting a direct fresh water fill. It takes about 30 minutes using my 12v pump to put 5 gallons of water in.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Gary,
You don't have a lever on the water manifold to directly fill the fresh water tank from the city connection? I thought it was standard.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I am boondock camping and hauling water. The resistance to pumping thru existing system is the problem.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Gary,
Are you talking about the 12V fresh water pump that is installed in the trailer. My pump can empty a 5 gal bucket in less than a minute.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Gary,
When filling with the 12V pump, which valves do you open and close to fill the fresh water tank? I have to open two valves and close one. I close the valve on the pipe from the fresh water tank to the inlet side of pump. I open the valve on the suction pipe that is placed in the bucket and the valve on the bypass loop from the outlet side of pump back to the pipe from the fresh water tank. This completely bypasses the fresh water system and pumps directly into the fresh water tank.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Gary,
When filling with the 12V pump, which valves do you open and close to fill the fresh water tank? I have to open two valves and close one. I close the valve on the pipe from the fresh water tank to the inlet side of pump. I open the valve on the suction pipe that is placed in the bucket and the valve on the bypass loop from the outlet side of pump back to the pipe from the fresh water tank. This completely bypasses the fresh water system and pumps directly into the fresh water tank.
You got it right Carl. This is what you do when you don't have a fresh water fill inlet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sanitizing Fresh Water Tank.pdf (913.9 KB, 59 views)
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #7

Gary,

That set up in pic in other post........
What pump is that? Even an old Shurflo Classic had a 3 gpm rating at 45 psi discharge.

Does that fill connection have an internal check valve (under screen washer should be the end of check valve plunger)? Could be check valve is 'cocked' restricting flow?
Is screen CLEAN??

I see nothing wrong with set up......should pump that 5 gallons in a minute or so
IF pump is working or inlet connection is good.

I know water is precious when boondocking but have you checked pumps ability with hose NOT connected to RV?
Eliminate which side is problem...pump or RV
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
You got it right Carl. This is what you do when you don't have a fresh water fill inlet.
Thanks for the bulletin, Rockin'. I saw that on the EXCEL website but didn't save it. A picture is worth a thousand words and that is about how many I use when telling someone what time it is. Your are the man!
Old 06-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I understand all of that, but I have an 80 lb. disassembled pontoon boat in a large canvas bag which keeps me from getting to the house pump. That's why I wish I had the direct fill option.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I have looked into replacing the manual valves with 12V solenoid valves. Then run the bucket suction hose through the utility compartment. By adding a switch in the utility compartment I can energize the solenoids to open and close the valves. One normally open and two normally closed solenoid valves along with a single or multiple switches would work. No more crawling into the basement to sanitize, winterize, or filling the fresh water tank.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:43 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No real help to Gary, but on my 07 30RSO I have both the external water fill line plus a connection between the city water and the fresh water tank, normally closed. Also the winterization line. I added a 12 volt valve (NC) on this cross connect and placed a switch in the bathroom where the tank level indicators are located. If I'm connected to city water, a switch flip allows me to fill the fresh water tank to any level I want.

Recently I bought a 60 gallon bladder and a a second pump that I use to transport water to the trailer if dry camped. The pump transfers the water from the bladder to the external water fill connection.

For the followup question/answer- I also have a 32 gallon waste tote and macerator pump to empty the holding tanks without needing to move the trailer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I have 60 gal. bladder and 3-6gallon jugs. Haven't needed bladder this trip, but wish I had direct fill.