Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Aren't Excel folks the best? rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnl3:
DH got an email from Excel saying that they could build a desk in the table area. They sent DH a pic, and it looks pretty neat! The dining table folds down, and then the desk area is up against the window. I'm not thrilled about having the table disappear while DH is working, but I love the floorplan because of all the windows - so I am willing to compromise in that area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excel designed that desk in response to an inquiry I made to Bryan as to whether or not they'd be willing to make us a desk/table combination to replace our dining table.

My idea was NOT to fold the table down when working on the laptop, but, instead, the table would be my work surface. The desk was mainly a place to put my printer and office supplies and a place to put the laptop when we were eating.

Now we just have to make it to Smith Center for them to do the work!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the combination desk/entertainment center in our MKO and would not be without the options (storage) it provides. However, we enjoy watching TV while working/playing on our laptops and with someone sitting at the computer desk, the view of the TV is blocked. On our 'to do list' for this fall is to add at least one Jotto Desk to support a laptop while sitting in the recliners. These desks fold out of the way when traveling or not in use.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
We just bought one of those swing up coffee tables to use with the laptop. Small enough so not to get in the way in our floor plan.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #19

Hello:

My wife and I feel the same way about the pedestal table. In an earlier e-mail to George Haist we mentioned the following:

"We do not care for any type of free standing dining pedestal table. What we'd like to have is a 72" X 20" Desk/Dinette Combination Table. This was a table that was an option in our Dutch Star motorhome. I'll bet someone at Excel is familiar with this design.

It really is a nice piece, George. Think about this now--space is a premium in any RV. The footprint of this Desk/Dinette Combination Table is way less than that of a free standing pedestal table and either two or four chairs. And there is a gain of (you'll have to see the attached pics and blueprint .pdf file below):
* 2 small drawers
* 1 file size drawer
* 1 sliding shelf for a laptop or keyboard
* 1 sliding shelf for a printer, desktop mainframe computer or...

All of the dimensions are on the blueprint for the Desk/Dinette Combination Table on the attached .pdf file.

I'd venture that if Excel had an option like this there would be a lot of interest--it's a very neat and compact unit and so utilitarian too. And it takes up less space than the conventional pedestal dining table. Every time someone saw the one in our Dutch Star they liked it and wanted one.

I've attached a pictures that show the features:
* There are four chairs included--two free standing and two folding.
* The table has two leaves to increase the seating to four folks--two on either side.
* The table is hinged under the desktop and folds down out-of-the way when not in use.
* The table folds out and a support leg folds down--one or both of the leaves can be used.
* There are three drawers on one side--two pencil/paper, etc., and one file drawer.
* There is one drawer on the other side that is really a sliding shelf--for a laptop computer or keyboard. The drawer front folds down after opening to be flat with the sliding shelf.
* There is a sliding shelf under the sliding drawer. This is for a printer, or maybe a desktop size computer.

When the table isn't being used the unit doubles as a GREAT desk--70" long X 20" wide."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We're getting much closer to a decision to purchase a 33TKE and Bryan Tillett advised us that PI would build and install such a desk/table combo to replace the pedestal table.

I have several pics of this unit and a blueprint of sorts for anyone that is interested. So, e-mail me and request. Sorry, I don't know how to post pics, etc., with this reply.

Our best to everyone,
Ken & Patti Couger
kencouger@mac.com
Ken & Patti C. is offline   Reply With Quote