Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Our Rig

After 12 years of FTing, some time in the foreseeable future Donna and I will be coming off the road and settling into a more grounded lifestyle. This is difficult for me in particular, but those of us that live this way know that this day will come at some point. It's just another "passage of life".

(Mod Edit)

Big smiles and happy trails to all! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Rockin'

I have experienced several "passages of life" in my 61 years, some good, some bad. I took them all head-on. Consider this 'passage of life" just another "opportunity of life." I recently had a conversation with an individual who parks his RV at the same RV storage where I park mine. He and his wife were not FTers, but they did travel most of the year. Their RV was getting too much to handle and traveling was getting too difficult. They decided to sell their 5th wheel and get a smaller Class B or C, one they could take on short trips and park at their home. Instead of going cold turkey, that could an option for you and Mrs. Donna. Just sayin'.

When the wife retires at the end of 2018, I hope that we can travel at least half as many years as you and Mrs. Donna have. I would consider myself very fortunate.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the very nice words of encouragement Carl. That means a lot. Donna struggles even with the port a steps we have now. I don't think the B or C is even a possibility, but one never knows!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 10-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
JDT

Hate to hear it Tom, but one thing about life is the changes are constant. You didn't say when but I assume it is close. I hope you stay with us on the forum as your knowledge of things rv is invaluable. I wish you and Donna nothing but the best.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #5

Tom,
As others have mentioned a realization that our lives are lived in phases is the way to handle transition. Nothing lasts forever and FT RV is something only a select few can tackle and do well, you sure have! I'm not sure a major downsize is needed though, maybe just a smaller FW. My wife and I are on the road 12-15 weeks a year (while I still run a business with Go To My PC and a great staff) and the smaller Excel 31IKE FW works great for that level of use. Whatever you do just promise us you'll still be here to let us access the best Excel knowledge outside Ralph Barnett and Brian Tillett.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

Rockin,
I forgot you're only in a 33' now. Stick with what you've got, find great spots within one or two days drive and head out from your base camp for a couple weeks at a time frequently with a longer trip once or twice a year, especially to escape winter. Works for us.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Thanks again all for the kind and reassuring words. They are well accepted. rockin'
Old 10-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Ditto on all the above comments. You'll be missed.
Don
Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
So where have you decided to "settle down"? Texas or Oregon?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
They make lifts that can eliminate the stairs. I think this could be fitted to your current MH.

This might help out;

Mobility Lift Power Chairs Lift Recliners | Life Essentials
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
So where have you decided to "settle down"? Texas or Oregon?
We have no idea at this point. I thought for sure after roaming this fine country for 12 years we'd know for sure by this time. Donna is leaning toward the Portland area.....at least for the summertime. We'll see.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
We hate to hear this Tom. I know Billie is starting to have problems also after having both knees replaced. I wish she would be more active since she quilts so much, sitting in one place for hours at a time.

They do make a portable porch with steps with hand rails that are more like steps at home.

Portable RV Porches, Steps, and Decks for 5th Wheels, Motorhomes, and Campers | Product Lines

Keep in touch as I know you love to slam me every chance you get
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #13

Tom,

All the responses are from Senior Members, I am not sure if that means you guys are older or have been on the forum longer

As a newer member, I wanted to thank your for your words of advice on several different occasions. I want to wish you the best in your "retirement" from full timing, and hope you stay active here. You could always try writing, RV/EXCEL repair/maintance for dummies! Save me from printing so many threads!

Best wishes to you and your family!

Mike
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Still,

This is what we have and it works great. Not cheap either. It's more than just hip and knee issues. A-fib issues and she's on blood thinners.

Mike,

Thanks! I'm turning 65 next month.....so not exactly ancient but gettin' up there. My bride is about 4+ years "more mature" than I am. I feel about 5.5 years in my mind...and those that know me will testify to that!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4022.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	141081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4026.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	141082  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4027.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	141083