Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Perimeter View Wireless Rearview Camera

Looks like my rearview camera has given up the ghost. PI installed it during the trailer build and ran the camera cable through the "attic". The original transmitter and receiver quit working after just a month. The replacement has lasted 2 1/2 years. It was working one minute and then displayed NO CONNECTION the next. That was how the first unit went out. It was too hot in the trailer yesterday to troubleshoot the problem, but I'm not very hopeful that I can fix it. If I can't, I will have to replace it with a different manufacture's system because there are no parts available.

Has anyone had any experience with replacing the Parameter View system with a different manufacture's model. I was told by the manufacturer that the cable from the camera in the back to the transmitter in the front is proprietary and will not adapt to other manufacturer's rear view camera. I was hoping to avoid running cables on the outside of the trailer.

I appreciate any help or comments.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A simple continuity test of the cabel should tell you if its good or not. If its bad you may be able to pull a new cable through by attaching it to the old one and pull gently while someone feeds the new one in. If there aren't any tight spots or sharp turns it may work. But make sure the cable is bad first.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
A simple continuity test of the cabel should tell you if its good or not. If its bad you may be able to pull a new cable through by attaching it to the old one and pull gently while someone feeds the new one in. If there aren't any tight spots or sharp turns it may work. But make sure the cable is bad first.
Thanks for the response Chief.

I guess I'm a little premature with my post since I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot the problem. It seems the wireless transmitter is either bad or its a blown fuse or loose wire. The monitor is not receiving the signal from the transmitter. It's the same "NO CONNECTION" message I receive on the monitor when I turn off the switch that sends power to the transmitter. If it was the cable or camera the transmitter would be sending garbage, I would be receiving snow or a scrambled image on the monitor.

I sure hope it is a simple blown fuse or loose wire, but I'm afraid it could be a bad transmitter. It would be nice if I could feed a new cable through by pulling on the old one. We will see.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good luck keep us posted
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Looks like the transmitter is shot. I did a voltage check on the wire powering the transmitter and it was hot but the receiver was not receiving a signal.

I'm going to replace it with a wireless system by Rear View Safety. The camera and wireless transmitter are one unit. The only cable needed for installation of the camera/transmitter is a power cable. I will use two wires in the old cable that is currently installed in the attic to power the new camera/transmitter.

Question. There are six small wires in the old cable. Two were used to power the old camera. The others four returned the audio and video. The manufacturer of the old camera said to use any two wires for the hot and ground wire for the new camera. The wire gauge seems small to me. My question is, I have six wires, instead of using one wire for the hot wire and one wire for ground, if I twisted two wire ends together for the hot wire and two of the wire ends together for the ground, thereby in theory doubling the wire size, would this be a recipe for disaster? Could it cause a short? The max power the camera would pull is .2 amps, 12 volt.

Tags
camera