Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Well we went to RV Sales in Moriarty, NM and traded in our 2007 35RSE for our new 2009 30TKE. We are retiring and will be moving back to our house in MT so decided we didn't need such a big rig.

We got to RV Sales on 9/2/08 and started working on transferring our stuff over to our new rig. We left RV sales (Kathy, Ralph, Clayton, Eric and Bob who were all great to work with) and headed to a close campground. Kathy wanted us to stay at their hookups but the local power company was having problems with high voltage. I measured 134.2 volts at the pedestal so decided we didn't want to hook up to that. It is a shame too as RV Sales just put in power connections for 5 30 amp sites in July.

We got to our site and the left front landing gear would not come down. Called Kathy and said we where on our way back to the dealership. We got back there at about 330 PM and Bob and Clayton started working on it right then. Then Ralph and Eric started in on it also. They continued to work on right past quitting time. Ralph was talking to Curtis at the factory and they decided that a selector was bad. They went out and took one off from a new rig and put it on ours. This was after 630 PM. It worked, off to the campground again. We spent the night and when we used the shower the next morning it leaked around the surround. We had a few other issues that the dealership was not able to deal with. When I contacted Bryan to let him know I was upset with out new unit and that it had some issues. Bryan came through as he has in the past.

We decided to come to the factory. This was on Thursday morning at 1030 AM MDT. We headed out for SC. We arrived at about 1130 PM CDT that night. Straight through because I wanted them to be able to get it into work on Friday morning.

The next morning we took it over to the factory (not the service center) and they started working on it. They took care of all the issues and I had them install the electric rear jacks. Now we have it set up with the hydraulic levelers plus the rear electric. We now have 6 points of contact with the ground when we set up. They also stayed after hours at the plant to finish up on everything. They did not realize that I had a capture plate on my pin for the Super Glide hitch and when they hitched it to the tractor to move the trailer it wrecked the capture plate. Luckily they had a new one over in the Service Center and had it brought over to install the new one on the pin. Bryan was originally gone for the day but he made it back earlier than expected so it was nice to see Bryan and sit down a minute and visit with him again, it would have been nicer if it wasn't for the reason we were there for but still nice to see him.

We didn't get it out of the plant till late Friday nite so we spent the nite at the service center were we had power, TV and Excel's nice lounge area. Got a chance to catch up a little on the laundry.

We got up late and took our time on Saturday morning and I was about 30 miles from SC when I noticed my curbside slide had come out some. I found a spot to pull over and when I got out of the truck I noticed the front jack had came down about 3 inches. I raised the jack and this moved the room back in also.

We took off again thinking that maybe I just hadn't pulled everything in tight enough. Took off again and shortly the slide was out again. Stopped and the front jack was down some again.

I called Bryan to let him know the bad news and had after talking for a few minutes he said he would have Jack (from the Service Center) call me. Within a few minutes Jack called me and then he called Curtis and called me back. We headed back to SC and presently at the Service Center. When we reached the Service Center and was setting up Jack came over and we discussed the problem.

Tomorrow they will be working on the front jack again and most likely replace it.

So as you can probably guess I'm not real happy about all of this but Excel is doing their best (I feel) to take care of this and make happy customers out of us.

I just would like to say again that if anybody is looking for an Excel they really owe it to themselves to check out RV Sales in Moriarty, NM. Kathy and crew went above and beyond what I would expect from a dealership. Most other dealers that I have been around when it is quitting time that what ever your trouble is will have to wait till tomorrow during normal business hours, not them. It was a pleasant experience to work with people that place the customer so high. This is also the case with Excel.

So after leaving Sutherlin Oregon on 8/29/08 we arrived in Moriarty, NM (1451 miles) on 9/1/08. Started transferring our stuff on 9/2/08. Finished up on 9/3/08. Headed to SC on 9/04/08 and arrived on 9/04/08 (630 miles). We are ready for a down day today.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Well we went to RV Sales in Moriarty, NM and traded in our 2007 35RSE for our new 2009 30TKE. We are retiring and will be moving back to our house in MT so decided we didn't need such a big rig.

We got to RV Sales on 9/2/08 and started working on transferring our stuff over to our new rig. We left RV sales (Kathy, Ralph, Clayton, Eric and Bob who were all great to work with) and headed to a close campground. Kathy wanted us to stay at their hookups but the local power company was having problems with high voltage. I measured 134.2 volts at the pedestal so decided we didn't want to hook up to that. It is a shame too as RV Sales just put in power connections for 5 30 amp sites in July.

We got to our site and the left front landing gear would not come down. Called Kathy and said we where on our way back to the dealership. We got back there at about 330 PM and Bob and Clayton started working on it right then. Then Ralph and Eric started in on it also. They continued to work on right past quitting time. Ralph was talking to Curtis at the factory and they decided that a selector was bad. They went out and took one off from a new rig and put it on ours. This was after 630 PM. It worked, off to the campground again. We spent the night and when we used the shower the next morning it leaked around the surround. We had a few other issues that the dealership was not able to deal with. When I contacted Bryan to let him know I was upset with out new unit and that it had some issues. Bryan came through as he has in the past.

We decided to come to the factory. This was on Thursday morning at 1030 AM MDT. We headed out for SC. We arrived at about 1130 PM CDT that night. Straight through because I wanted them to be able to get it into work on Friday morning.

The next morning we took it over to the factory (not the service center) and they started working on it. They took care of all the issues and I had them install the electric rear jacks. Now we have it set up with the hydraulic levelers plus the rear electric. We now have 6 points of contact with the ground when we set up. They also stayed after hours at the plant to finish up on everything. They did not realize that I had a capture plate on my pin for the Super Glide hitch and when they hitched it to the tractor to move the trailer it wrecked the capture plate. Luckily they had a new one over in the Service Center and had it brought over to install the new one on the pin. Bryan was originally gone for the day but he made it back earlier than expected so it was nice to see Bryan and sit down a minute and visit with him again, it would have been nicer if it wasn't for the reason we were there for but still nice to see him.

We didn't get it out of the plant till late Friday nite so we spent the nite at the service center were we had power, TV and Excel's nice lounge area. Got a chance to catch up a little on the laundry.

We got up late and took our time on Saturday morning and I was about 30 miles from SC when I noticed my curbside slide had come out some. I found a spot to pull over and when I got out of the truck I noticed the front jack had came down about 3 inches. I raised the jack and this moved the room back in also.

We took off again thinking that maybe I just hadn't pulled everything in tight enough. Took off again and shortly the slide was out again. Stopped and the front jack was down some again.

I called Bryan to let him know the bad news and had after talking for a few minutes he said he would have Jack (from the Service Center) call me. Within a few minutes Jack called me and then he called Curtis and called me back. We headed back to SC and presently at the Service Center. When we reached the Service Center and was setting up Jack came over and we discussed the problem.

Tomorrow they will be working on the front jack again and most likely replace it.

So as you can probably guess I'm not real happy about all of this but Excel is doing their best (I feel) to take care of this and make happy customers out of us.

I just would like to say again that if anybody is looking for an Excel they really owe it to themselves to check out RV Sales in Moriarty, NM. Kathy and crew went above and beyond what I would expect from a dealership. Most other dealers that I have been around when it is quitting time that what ever your trouble is will have to wait till tomorrow during normal business hours, not them. It was a pleasant experience to work with people that place the customer so high. This is also the case with Excel.

So after leaving Sutherlin Oregon on 8/29/08 we arrived in Moriarty, NM (1451 miles) on 9/1/08. Started transferring our stuff on 9/2/08. Finished up on 9/3/08. Headed to SC on 9/04/08 and arrived on 9/04/08 (630 miles). We are ready for a down day today.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Butch,

So sorry to hear about all your problems. Sounds like you're doing a good job of keeping your cool. I sent you an email. Good luck! Your working with the best folks there are!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Rockin

I'm trying keep cool but some times it is pretty hard. I know keeping your cool works better than blowing up as then it just makes the other party mad also and when both are mad then nobody gets anything done.

We are just trying to get our unit fixed and continue on.

I know that we are working with the best. I feel we started with the best dealer first and we are now working with the best manufacturer there is.

I have very limited web access here so was surprised that i was able to post such a long post. I'm using a VFW WIFI here. Excel took a lightning hit they lost their WIFI.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Butch,

First high voltage...now lightening struck WiFi. Sometimes makes ya wonder if we are living right. Wonder how in the world the folks of yesteryear did things without these "modern conveniences"?

Makes a guy wonder why some lounges open before noon! Stay cool and sip slowly...you have a big day tomorrow!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on your new Excel! We understand your frustration with picking up a new RV and having problems BEFORE you spend a night in it. No doubt that Bryan and his crew will treat you well and make things right.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Chief,

I'm sure that Bryan and his people will take care of us and get everything fixed and we will be happy campers again. We really liked our 35RSE that we traded but just wanted to downsize. I have to say that we really like the layout of our new 30TKE. It is a great layout, and we were able to arrange the curbside slideout and get our 2 recliners into it. These are Lazy Boy recliners and mine is a big one. It still has room for a washer and dryer (which we did not get this time around). I pulled it to SC with my 3500 Dodge SB SRW which I have upgraded my tires on. I had also put Super Springs on the truck and while at RV Sales I had to have them removed. I just had to much spring on the rear as the 30TKE didnt drop the rear at all. It pulled this unit with no problem, all kinds of power and just squatted the truck till it reached the overloads. Pulled it at any speed that I wanted to with no problem. I drove for almost 11 hours straight to get to SC and never felt uncomfortable with the combination. I was carrying almost a full tank of water on board. I feel we are going to be very happy with this combination.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
UPDATE:

Will to continue, Curtis worked on our unit all day today and everything looks A-OK. We are heading out in the AM and heading back west. I have to hand it to Curtis, he came in on his day off and spent all day working on the unit. He replaced the front jack with a new one. This jack is not made by Excel and so I can't hold them responsible for the problems I have been having with it. It is great to have a rig that the company stands behind what they sell. Jack at the Service Center is great to work with also. So all appears ok and I'm a happy cmaper again.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Butch,

Thanks for the update, glad things are looking up! Enjoy and stay in touch! rockin'
Old 09-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
We had 38 issues with our 06 33rso in the first year. I am on my 3rd left front hyd. jack and right now the only thing holding up the camper is the right jack. This will be the third trip to factory. I am not sure I will be able to afford the unit after the warranty runs out at $4.20 for fuel each trip. What I am having a hard time understanding is how there can be so many things that go wrong on the very first time the unit is used. You would think some of the issues would surly have happened at some point when they are checked out. They are gone through arent they? Since there are less units being made you would think there wouldl be ample time to get a through test for each unit Just my 2 cents.
brassringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Butch,

Looks like you got all of those inevitable breaking-in kinks taken care of up front! I 2nd your high opinion of RV Sales Kathy and crew, plus, Jack and his great crew.

Congratulations and Good luck with your new rig.