Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #1

As a matter of research, for those who use a portable generator, like the Honda 2000, etc. how are you connecting the generator to the unit. With the units power cord and adapters, a generator plug on the compartment door, special adaptors. Did you have any spectial equipment installed like ATS, auto transfer switches or current protectors for the genertator.

Thanks,
Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #2

As a matter of research, for those who use a portable generator, like the Honda 2000, etc. how are you connecting the generator to the unit. With the units power cord and adapters, a generator plug on the compartment door, special adaptors. Did you have any spectial equipment installed like ATS, auto transfer switches or current protectors for the genertator.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Chris,
I've been using a Yamaha EF3000iSE/B generator for several years. It hasn't missed a beat and other than oil changes, no maintenance.

I mounted the generator on an elevated platform behind the cab of 'Semi-Suite' which makes it easy to get to and service. SC added a 50amp receptacle to the front of my Excel to alleviate stretching a power cord from the rear to the front. I use a 50-30amp reducer, fitted to a generator adapter (available at RV supply stores). The Yamaha has a boost feature that ups the watts to 3500 to handle A/C start-ups and other surges.

Chose the Yamaha for the dual-fuel capability available with an aftermarket kit.

As soon as our weather permits, I'll take some pictures and post on iRV2.com.
John
Old 02-25-2008, 05:45 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I use a Honda 2000 connected with the power cord and adaptors. This goes through a Progressive Industries 50 amp HW EMS to the factory installed wiring (120v wiring and battery charger). I will be adding an inverter with an internal transfer switch soon.

I routinely get a grounding error message, and shutdown, on the EMS. I attribute this to the so-called "Floating Ground" in the Honda generator. Thus far I have resolved the EMS shutdown by turning off the EMS unit with no apparent problems. Does anyone else have this issue?
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Progressive Industries 50 amp HW EMS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim,

I just picked up the EMS 50 and have not had time to play with it.

I do run a generator at times and was wondering the way to turn it off.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
The only time I "dry camp" is in the fall when A/C is not an issue. I'm not sure my 3800W unit would run the A/C anyway. I have an inverter to operate the entertainment center so I connect the generator to a 10A battery charger most of the time. The built in charger takes a long time to charge RV batteries.

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Larry,

You'll find a small on/off switch on the top side of the remote display. That will turn off the EMS and power will come in directly as though the EMS wasn't there.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Jim

I wondered what to do if I had problems, I thought I would like to bypass the unit at some very limited times.

I was born and raised in Flint, I do pity you being there at this time of year.

I need to go into the trailer soon or I will start scratching my eyes out. Looks like in a couple of weeks we will be out.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Chris,

I have two of the Honda 2000's. I built my own kit to ty them together and run the camper with a 30 to 50 amp adapter. I have not had the need to use it as I have only dry camp late in the fall so no air was needed. In the fall when no air was needed I just used adapters to go from 20 amp to 50 amp and run just one generator. I get eight hours of run time from one gallon of gas so that is cheap enough.

I also wired in my own transfer switch in front to be able to have the generator up front if I want to. I did this before I bought the Hondas and have not use it since. Worked great with my ***** generator.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim & Bona:
I use a Honda 2000 connected with the power cord and adaptors. This goes through a Progressive Industries 50 amp HW EMS to the factory installed wiring (120v wiring and battery charger). I will be adding an inverter with an internal transfer switch soon.

I routinely get a grounding error message, and shutdown, on the EMS. I attribute this to the so-called "Floating Ground" in the Honda generator. Thus far I have resolved the EMS shutdown by turning off the EMS unit with no apparent problems. Does anyone else have this issue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have two Honda 2000s. So far, I only use both to run the microwave/convection oven. I also get the PE2 ground error on my HW50 panel. I called either Honda or Progressive (can't recall which) and was told that you can turn off the HW50 as a temp solution, but should really ground the gennies.

I grounded each one to the truck, since I keep them in the bed. But I saw no difference. I still plan to try to ground the truck too, or ground the gennies directly.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Like Still Working, we have 2 Honda 2000's with the kit that connects them together.

When running the 2 generators at the same time, we use a 50-amp to 30-amp adapter. When running just one generator, we use a 50-amp to 20-amp adapter, like this one.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Bruce,

Run the ground to a post in the dirt. That is an eletricical ground. This will keep you from getting shocked if the fiver becomes hot.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Still Working:
Bruce,

Run the ground to a post in the dirt. That is an eletricical ground. This will keep you from getting shocked if the fiver becomes hot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I was alluding to an earth ground when I said ground the gennies directy. But it's kinda pesty to drive and remove a stake every time we move. Particularly in this desert country where, I assume, you gotta go deep for moisture.

Is there an easy way to make an earth ground? (I was just about to write that I could tie into a water pipe when I realized I wouldn't have water if I didn't have electricity. )
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Our 5.5 KVA Onan is simply grounded to the frame of the coach. I don't see why that wouldn't work for a portable.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote