Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Question Possible purchase 2015 37SDF or 37IKF

Hello all. As a newbie, I truly appreciate all the high quality content (and reasonable quality humor) in this forum.

We are narrowing our search to the Winslow 37SDF or 37IKF - leaning toward the IKF for ease of access reasons (appearance not really an issue).

We have all hardwood floors, glide ride hitch, electric drain control valves, See-level sensors, AC on both sides, pre-wire for solar, and full body paint as good suggestions from here. We tend to prefer investing in quality up front rather than regret later.

As a tow vehicle an F350 seems appropriate, or equivalent. I am interested in whether short bed with a special auto-adjustable hitch is practical or should I continue to focus on long bed only.

I can see there are some active members that put themselves out to help newbies such as myself, and we do appreciate it.

Any thoughts on dos and don'ts will be appreciated.

Any thoughts on reasonable negotiations targets would also be appreciated, as we've seen comments that there is not as much margin in list price as might be found in other brands.

Thank you in advance .. Wayne
scc95037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Wayne, you'll need a DRW 350. Does Ford make a 6.5' dually? I know GM does not. Dodge does. My 34IKE is within specs for my SRW 3500, but not the 37' Excels.

The 37SDF would present access issues at many of the state and COE parks we frequent.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #3

Wayne,
I agree with Russell, if you're thinking 37 it's dually all the way and like GM, Ford only offers the SB in SRW. I've consulted the folks here about it and the numbers for anything bigger than 34 just don't add up for the 3500 SRW. I have the 3500HD SB with a PullRite Super Glide and that set up worked well for me on our previous FW.

We sized our trailer to fit our camping style and our desire for an SRW truck as our unhitched touring vehicle. Like Russell we go to many state park and COE campgrounds which have some issues for the really big rigs. As Doc has noted even with the 34 he's within the towing and payload specs but close and I'll be fine on tow weight and GCVW but very close on payload limit with our soon to arrive 31IKE.

Rockin' has suggested Russell avoid taking along that extra toothbrush for weight savings and to inject some of that reasonable humor you've detected here.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Brad, you are spot on with your advice to Wayne and you've given me the attention that I require. You have a darn good memory too. "Reasonable humor"......surely you gest!!!! Stick around a bit longer and I'll see if I can throw a few zingers your way!!! I like your style. Can't wait to meet up with you someday down the road! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
And as the Sarge in the crowd...my job is to tell you to get down and give me 20 push-ups.

Welcome along.
Sarge et al.

2012 36RKM; Didymop
2005 1-ton Dually: Kemosabe
2008 Solara Convertible: Jake
Old 07-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #6

Rockin' at least in a month I'll have the credibility of being actual Excel owner. I look forward to meeting up with you and your favorite target, Dr Fife, down the road. The information obtained here has been very valuable and the laughs are a bonus.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Sarge,

That's how I got in such great shape.......you keepin' me in line....I know....drop and give me 20 for bein' a bit sarcastic!!! Mam...yes...mam!!!

Brad, we have a "large" time here for sure. Every once in a while we learn a bit from one another. One thing I've learned in retirement is "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"!!!!

PS....you'll find Doc is a mess.......but he sure has a nice EL rig!!!! Just funnin' again. And his truck looks funny.....SRW and a short bed. Looks like he got "rearended". But he can park it at the office without "offending" anyone!!!! Dag-Nab those city folks!!! I'm finally done! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
.... Dag-Nab those city folks!!! ...
At least I camp in places with trees.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 07-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
At least I camp in places with trees.....
You got me there Doc.......but what about the funny looking rearended truck????
Old 07-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
You got me there Doc.......but what about the funny looking rearended truck????
Yours has a wide butt.

Mine is trim and fit.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 07-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Yours has a wide butt.

Mine is trim and fit.
Yeah, matches my fat gut! I think I'm gonna quit pickin' on you for a while.......we both need a rest! Ha. rockin'
Old 07-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #12

Thank you ... believe Ford does not have SB in DRW - would be looking at King Ranch I suspect based on your and other commetns
Old 07-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #13

Thanks Brad ... you are right a smaller fiver would be easier to maneuver and require less tow - but 2 bathrooms are a great attraction for the spouse
Old 07-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #14

Appreciate all the input

We appreciate all the input - and realize sometime down the road when we have painfully learned experience to share we'll need to return the favors.

It's clear the DRW - probably 350/3500 is the preferred tow vehicle, but we will do our math and homework before making the acquisition.

It is a little like flying - weight and balance is a huge factor in safety and needs to be right every trip whether a short or long haul.

Glad to see the spirit of Excel owners - positive happy jibes to be preferred over complaints any day. Looking forward to one day flashing our lights when seeing you-all on the highway.

Tags
purchase