Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2008, 05:03 AM   #1

Am 2000 miles from home and am hearing clutch noise on the 2 heavy slides..I have old style non-hydraulic slides. When time to retract...the clutches will start to chatter a second or 2 after i start to retract. So I hit the open button for a second and then hit the retract button. So far...that has made the noise go away...This is only my second summer with a 2007 model, I purchased new. Any one experience this and have an idea if I am near catastrophic failure or just something I can live with? Thanks.
litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2008, 05:03 AM   #2

Am 2000 miles from home and am hearing clutch noise on the 2 heavy slides..I have old style non-hydraulic slides. When time to retract...the clutches will start to chatter a second or 2 after i start to retract. So I hit the open button for a second and then hit the retract button. So far...that has made the noise go away...This is only my second summer with a 2007 model, I purchased new. Any one experience this and have an idea if I am near catastrophic failure or just something I can live with? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Jay & Lee,

If your unit is still under the 2-year warranty, call Jack at the Service Center and discuss your options.

Slide alignment is another of those routine preventive maintenance items that many of us overlook. Given the condition of today's roads, slide mechanisms are subject to many forces which will impact their alignment--just as wheels and axles require alignment.

'WorkShop', Chris, has provided a detailed "How-To" on slide alignment in his "Restoration Topic" at the top of the forum.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #4

Jay and Lee in a way Chief is correct, I have worked and adjusted on my slide for the sofa/dinette but haven't yet written the post that will cover the alignment. Chief is corect in that if your unit is still under warranty that you should discuss this and make it know that a problem exists before it expires. With that said...

1. Are they flat or flush floor slides, would assume they are is you refer to them as the larger slides? I have two on mine in the living area, one is the sofa/dinette which is flush floor and the other the entertainment/part kitchen which slides above the floor. It would be nice to know as each might present different causes and problems.

2. If the problem occures when the slide is being retracted that could be a cleaning and lube problem or the way the slide is setting in the opening. Does the clutching sound occur when the slide is moving from the in to the extended position?

3. I have a 2001 model which has the Barker slides, Rockin' has sent me pictures of his 2005 and other than a support roller and the way the 'ram' attaches to the slide skirt are much alike. I think the hardware itself is very durable and has been easy to work on so far. Have talked to Bob at Barker an it is suggested that extending/retacting the slides until it ratches should be avoided as much as possible. I generally have learned that spot where I know to let off the button and sure you have also.

If you start to pull in the slide and it makes the ratchet sound ....you extend and retract again and it pulls up than I feel that the first step might be to clean and lube so to speak the nose cone and ramp and look at where the nose cone sits in relation to the rollers. One has to remember that, on my slide anyway, the entire slide retracts and rides on 4 rollers that are about 5-6" long. The nose cone as PI calls it or slide ramp as I think of it is pulled up and over those rollers or over and down to sit on the 'floors' ramp area.

I have some pictures that I will post that shows these areas. Might be this afternoon before they are posted as they have to be uploaded-approved and I take time from mowing the grass and not getting wet.

Maybe, but not sure that 'cleaning and lubing' will solve the problem but its a first step and something PI might ask. Its not a big deal and easy to do. Think of having two objects pressing against each other, moves easier when they are slick than dry.

Will post the pictures later.

Hope something helped.
Chris
Old 07-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Chris and Chief are on it as usual. I might add that when the slide is in the full open or closed direction, and you apply power to the slide, the clutch will sometimes click one click when started. That is normal and no reason to worry. You should avoid ratcheting the clutch at each end of travel. This is usually achieved when the motor just starts to labor or wind down right before ratcheting. If you pay attention you can get pretty good at it. Even my bride is learning it! If I want her to know this....I'll tell her myself!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input. Looked at it today...and it sure looks clean. As for further lubrication...I think I need to take off the sheetmetal panels to get to the part of the mechanism that is actually " in use " when the slides are all the way open? I normally use a spray lithium based lube...It does not appear to be trapping much dirt as they still look very clean. I have heard the clatter from bith living room slides...the oine that raises up and the flush one.

Does being ever so slightly " not level " cause this? I usually get pretty close to level...but am not anal about it.

Am hoping to make it thru summer without doing anything more than lubing...as it would be really disruptive to try and get it worked on. I will take your advice and get the issue logged with Excel.