Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

Progressive Industries EMS-PT50

I am having problems using a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50 (50A electrical system monitor/surge suppressor) with my 2011 Winslow 31RLE. The unit works fine for a few times (hook-up at different park) then fails (completely dead/no display/no voltage at PT50 receptacle) the next time I pug it in. The manufacturer has replaced the unit 3 times; each new unit fails the same. Has anyone else experienced this with and Excel unit? I'm thinking the problem is something unique to Excel. Progressive Industries says there should not be a compatibility problem.
getsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsrt View Post
I am having problems using a Progressive Industries PMS50(50A power system monitor/surge suppressor) with my 2011 Winslow 31RLE. The unit works fine for a few times (hook-up at different park) then fails (completely dead/no display/no voltage at PMS receptacle) the next time I pug it in. The manufacturer has replaced the unit 3 times; each new unit fails the same. Has anyone else experienced this with and Excel unit? I'm thinking the problem is something unique to Excel. Progressive Industries says there should not be a compatibility problem.
I have a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C (hardwired 50A with remote display) installed in my 2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE. It was installed over 4 months ago. I've had no issues with its operation.

Is yours a portable or hardwired unit?

Something sounds amiss with the installation if it is hardwired and you've had 3 successive failures.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #3

My unit is plug-in, not hardwired.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
My unit is plug-in, not hardwired.
That is strange.

Did Progressive Industries give you any ideas to what internal wiring issues could cause a complete failure of a portable unit?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

I have had the hard-wired version for 2 years in the Wild Cargo - no issues yet.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I am having problems using a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50 (50A electrical system monitor/surge suppressor) with my 2011 Winslow 31RLE. The unit works fine for a few times (hook-up at different park) then fails (completely dead/no display/no voltage at PT50 receptacle) the next time I pug it in. The manufacturer has replaced the unit 3 times; each new unit fails the same. Has anyone else experienced this with and Excel unit? I'm thinking the problem is something unique to Excel. Progressive Industries says there should not be a compatibility problem.
This seems very strange. Have you plug your rig directly into a 50 amp hookup? If so did anything happen? If not, I would say that the fifth wheel is correctly wired. When you plug in the fifth wheel into the EMS-PT50 do you get any type of a wiring warning on the lights? My next question is do you have any electrical experience? If not, you need to get someone that does and have them check things out with a volt/ohm meter. I can have more suggestions but will not share if I don't know what you know about electrical experience is. Electricity kills and you need to know what you are doing when working with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
That is strange.

Did Progressive Industries give you any ideas to what internal wiring issues could cause a complete failure of a portable unit?
X2
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
You do turn off the circuit breaker on the pedestal before plugging in the EMS, correct? This prevents any arcing or danger to your fingers if you accidentally came in contact with a prong. I have a hard-wired Progressive EMS -50 and Progressive has helped me through an issue or two with no hesitation -- or charges!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I have the portable unit with no problem on my 2013 Winslow.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #9

There could be a neutral and ground crossed somewhere. If possible let some else try the progressive unit. If it works for them then its in your Excel. Check your power cord as well. It could have gotten hot and melted something inside.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #10

I have no trouble with trailer plugged in directly to park service. Each time EMS unit failed i checked voltage (phase-phase, phase -neutral, phase-gnd)with multi-meter at park receptical - all were normal. Progressive Industries says returned units fail because moisture caused circuit board to fail. They said they had problems with unit seals but they had been resolved with new seal procedure. Last unit i received was a new "improved" unit. When i hook up with, i turn park pedestal circuit breaker off, plug in EMS unit, wait for it to check system, turn off circuit breaker if test is ok, plug in trailer cable, turn circuit barker on. Units have only failed once while plugged in; others failed on start-up at new site.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the follow up.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Continue working with Progressive Industries until the problem has been solved. They have a lifetime warranty and will resolve the problem eventually.

One of the best companies to deal with on their products. I wish that all companies would follow their warranty and customer service methods.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Have you made any changes to the electrical system in your coach at all?