Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Propane tank "singing to us"

It's not a whistle nor is it a leak I can detect, but when the furnace is running and sometimes while the oven is running, the curb side propane tank makes some kind of repeating tones that almost sound musical. It's really irritating early in the morning when I'm trying to get some sleep. I've turned on and off the valve several times, disconnected and reconnected the gas line several times, but the problem persists. There is no noticeable gas leak.

Ideas appreciated. Solutions will bow to.

Joe
jpjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #2

Sometimes the regulators sing.

Not sure of a curecure, short of replacing it, but make sure the vent is facing down.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #3

You state 'curb side'......so you have cylinders on both sides of rig and curb side would be the 'auto change-over regulator' (main reg)

Does it only sing when using curb side cylinder?

Curb side cylinder has high pressure directly to 1st stage of main regulator which then reduces it to 0.4 psi for main system. Cylinder pressure can be 1503--250# depending on air temps.
High demand/flow can cause diaphragm in 1st stage to vibrate

(Roadside cylinder pressure is reduced to 30# before crossing over inside front cap of 5vr to main reg so 1st stage only sees that 30# when using roadside cylinder)

Check 1st stage vent for leak....very small pin hole size vent
(2nd stage has large screened vent)

No leak from vents and flames in appliances strong/steady good blue flame then its just the harmonics of that reg.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:38 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
In the 3 Excels we've owned, 2 of them developed the "singing" you mention. Both happen to be on the roadside. The volume of noise was dependent on propane demand. It would wake me if propane was being used at night if the water heater and furnace were running. I located the noise by using a mechanic's stethoscope. The check/flow valve in the dark green nut on propane hose was the culprit both times. Replaced the hose and all was well. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:26 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Thought I'd also mention, there is always some very light humming going on in the system (mostly in the flow/check valves), but not enough to cause any announce. When it gets noisy, as we mentioned above, then it needs attention. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-24-2016, 06:42 AM   #6

If it's annoying, just replace the regulator. It's not hard and they aren't expensive.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I guess no one is listening or reading......or they're into the T-giving sauce this AM!!! Or maybe no one believes me.......w-h-a-t-e-v-e-r!!!!
Old 11-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #8

Verified the sound is only coming from the curb side cylinder. I've only heard the sound while the furnace was operating. The water heater is running on shore power. The sound is loud enough when happening that it woke me when I really didn't want to wake up. I'll investigate your suggestions further. I shall let you guys know what transpires.

Joe
Old 11-25-2016, 06:13 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Yeah Joe, my point by adding the gas water heater was meant to say, the more propane flows thru the hoses the louder the noise. Please let us know. rockin'
Old 11-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The valve in the regulator is opening and closing so as to maintain the proper 11" of water pressure in the lines (About 1/2 PSI if I recall correctly but please do not hold me to that) and this is what is causing the "ringing" in the tank as the flow starts and stops hundreds of times a second. 100% normal operation.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #11

Many regulators can flow the correct amount of gas without slamming open and shut which is the noise we're talking about. The noise is not "normal" nor is it all that unusual. It can be dealt with easily....
Old 11-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Sure hope Joe gets this fixed quickly and put this thread to a close. Man alive!!! rockin'
Old 11-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Joe, come on man, T-giving is over with....what did you find? Chop-chop! rockin'
Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #14

I switched the regulator from the curb side tank to the road side and the singing went away. I presume that when the road side tank empties the regulator will switch back to the curb side and the singing may return. We'll see. As it is, after 3 years I still can't figure out which tank is primary with this regulator as it is quite different to the others we had on 3 prior units.

Whatever. For now the issue is corrected, I think.

Joe

Tags
propane, tank