Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #1

Questions about my "new" 97 Excel

Just got a 97 Excel and have never had an RV before.

Lots of questions, but first one I'm needing help with is:

Where is the fuse panel? The two ceiling light fixtures in the slide-out are not working (where the couch is). The light fixture above the dining table is working just fine and I'm thinking there's gotta be a fuse problem...

Thanks
chrispopp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispopp8 View Post
Just got a 97 Excel and have never had an RV before.

Lots of questions, but first one I'm needing help with is:

Where is the fuse panel? The two ceiling light fixtures in the slide-out are not working (where the couch is). The light fixture above the dining table is working just fine and I'm thinking there's gotta be a fuse problem...

Thanks
Chris,
Welcome to the forum. So we can help it would be nice if you would add your information in your signature.

Click on the "User CP" tab above left side. On left side click on "Edit Signature". Add your info and click "Save Signature".

You can see my signature below.

As far as where your breaker box is I can't help.

Carl.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #3

Carl,

Thank you for taking the time to post you can't be of help with my question but posted that I am lacking a signature.

In the mobile phone version of the site, your signature does not appear... So using your signature as a baseline does not work (because I don't see it)

I'm not really sure what to say in a signature... I'm a new to rv guy who has no idea what he's doing and can't even find the model of his Excel? I mean, I could post my location in a signature, but as RV folk, don't most of us move around?

But alas, a simple question about fuses and a not so helpful response that has been given has made my post kinda lose focus...

And I still have no idea what to do about my lights and fuses.

Thanks (I guess?)
Chris

------
This is a signature...
Old 09-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispopp8 View Post
Carl,

Thank you for taking the time to post you can't be of help with my question but posted that I am lacking a signature.

In the mobile phone version of the site, your signature does not appear... So using your signature as a baseline does not work (because I don't see it)

I'm not really sure what to say in a signature... I'm a new to rv guy who has no idea what he's doing and can't even find the model of his Excel? I mean, I could post my location in a signature, but as RV folk, don't most of us move around?

But alas, a simple question about fuses and a not so helpful response that has been given has made my post kinda lose focus...

And I still have no idea what to do about my lights and fuses.

Thanks (I guess?)
Chris

------
This is a signature...
Chris,
The "Signature" is any information you want added to the bottom of a post you make. One purpose is to inform those who could possibly help, the year and model of your RV. I was not aware that the signature did not show up on the mobile version app. Without my signature info with year and model number, I can see how my post didn't make any sense. By asking you to insert a signature, I was helping you make it easier for someone else to help you. If I hadn't asked you to add a signature, someone else would have. It is one of the most common request when a new poster asked a question about their RV.

Peterson Industries built both travel trailers and 5th wheels. They built several models of each in 1997, NADA list 29 models. The fuse and breaker panel is not always in the same location.

There are many long-time EXCEL RV'ers that may be able to answer your question. But without the model, it would be difficult. The model should be on a sticker outside by the door, the trailer manufacturer label by the pinbox, and/or attached to the inside of a cabinet door if still attached or readable. If a title exist, the model number should be on the title. Inserting a picture of your RV in a post may also help. Here is a link to the NADA listing the model numbers. May help identify a number on your RV as the model number.
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1997/...ers-5th-Wheels

This forum is full of a lot of information and people who are willing to help if they can. Just be patient and don't bite the hand that is trying to help you.

Below is what my signature looks like.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carl and Janis, without Zoey, our 17 year old Boston Terrier (2001 - 2018)
2013 Excel L36GKE
2012 Ford F450 w/Highwayman RV Hauler
Old 09-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #5

Carl,

Thank you for the information about signatures.

The manufacturer plate is blank, unfortunately. In fact, the previous owner had to do a VIN establishment with local law enforcement. There's very little info I have except what's in the owners manual - and that doesn't have much.

I can give you layout details (3 slide outs, 2 sinks in a corner setup, Norcold 982 fridge) but I'm thinking that won't be of much help. There is a production number of 1042...

Doing a VIN search gave very little info.

Its a fifth wheel...

I will look at the title and see if there's information there.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #6

I looked at the title and the model listed is an M32 type is TR
Old 09-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
From what info you gave us, it's a 1997 Excel/Peterson Ind Excel Fifth Wheel Series M-32-5RGW Triple Slide. Listed as a 33' ft.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
From what info you gave us, it's a 1997 Excel/Peterson Ind Excel Fifth Wheel Series M-32-5RGW Triple Slide. Listed as a 33' ft.
Rockin',
Good to hear from you. It's been several weeks since you last posted. You doing alright. Thought I was going to have to send out a recon team to look for you.

Chris,
Below is a brochure for the 1997 trailers. You should be able to identify your model by the floor plan. Still can't find any info where the breaker/fuse box is located. Let us know if you find it. I will keep looking. Maybe an older-timer will chime in.

https://www.jerrystrailers.com/fckim...1997_Excel.pdf
Old 09-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #9

I am sure they have changed over the years, but maybe a reference point. Mine is behind a door which looks like an ordinary cabinet door. Open the door and the slide controls are located at the top of a wood panel, below that is the fuse box, and below that is the breaker box. maybe if you look in the basement you could see a general direction the wires run and start looking in that area???
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
A possible location for the 12v fuse panel

Chris,
I have a 1999 35-5SEOT 5er and my 12v fuse box is just above the 120v breaker panel on the outside (drivers side) just above the battery well in the same opening and next to the landing gear jack switches.

In my case it’s a smallish non labelled black box with a 1/4 turn lock.

Happy hunting!

Jim
PappyMoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel