Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #1

Questions from a "Newbie."

Hi all - just introduced myself in the new member section. I have been researching for some time on buying a new 5th wheel and have decided for a number of reasons that our next RV will be an Excel. Problem is our nearest Canadian dealer is over 600 miles away in Alberta. There is a closer dealer in Oregon but that is almost 400 miles away. I would like to do a factory order as I'm trying to ensure that we get exactly what we want the first time (if that is even possible... I have a couple questions:

1. When placing a factory order, can you deal directly with the factory or do you have to go through a dealer?

2. Anyone have any dealer recommendations in the West? We plan on spending 3 - 6 months a year chasing the sun so I think I would prefer to buy south of the border to at least get some dealer support if necessary.

Thats it for now. Thanks in advance for any help!

Derek
skreminegul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #2

When I bought my 33' toy hauler, I needed 15' 8" from door to stove counter top. I called the Nomad service manager direct and he did just what I asked at no extra charge. It amounted to cutting the counter back 8".

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #3

You'll have to pay all the taxes when you bring the unit into Canada, with no deduction if you had a trade.
Several US states, that have no taxes on, purchases of RVs, also have no cooling off period, so be careful what documents you sign.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
You'll have to pay all the taxes when you bring the unit into Canada, with no deduction if you had a trade.
Several US states, that have no taxes on, purchases of RVs, also have no cooling off period, so be careful what documents you sign.
Most states don't have a "cooling off" period, seems to be an old wives tale. If they have such a law it only covers sales made at your house, not at their business.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Derek,

When you purchase an Excel you can certainly deal with the president of Petersen Industries, Bryan Tillet, who will bend over backwards to accommodate your desires in your personal RV. Just give them a call and he will be glad to speak with you. Here's the number for you 800-368-3759.
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skreminegul View Post
2. Anyone have any dealer recommendations in the West? We plan on spending 3 - 6 months a year chasing the sun so I think I would prefer to buy south of the border to at least get some dealer support if necessary.

Thats it for now. Thanks in advance for any help!

Derek
This is the same issue we have had with many of our Canadian friends who were interested in Excel Dealers who might be on or near their route north or south when coming back and forth to AZ. We had a little discussion about it earlier but I think the only way you can really find a dealer on the web site is to try and punch in zip codes in areas you are going through. A map would make it easier, but I think the sticky is very out of date as it was put together by a member if I remember correctly, and is no longer updated.

There are dealers in the Dakota's, and in MN, but I'm not sure where your starting from so that may not do you any good. You might also be able to ask the factory for a list of dealers that might be in the states you would be looking at traveling through, I don't know.

Good luck-I expect you'll be very happy with your decision.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

You mentioned Oregon is about 400 miles away. We bought our '12 Wild Cargo 41gke from Sutton RV in Eugene, Oregon. I believe our sales rep there was Skip but I would need to double check. Sutton was great in dealing with and would definitely use them again. I dealt directly with Bryan and Marlene at Peterson Industries. The dealer was involved only to do the paperwork and PDI. I tried to Cc the dealer on all emails to PI just to keep them in the loop. This is our third new fifth wheel since 2005 and the Excel ordering process was the most pleasurable and easy experience ever! We did a lot of customizing so if you want any ideas I will be happy to share. But to give you a couple examples, we had PI send us the schematics for the outlets so we could move them or add as necessary. We also had them do four drawers in the chest of drawers instead of six in order to allow for bigger more usable drawers. We have many more little things we changed in addition to major changes that I would be happy to share.

Tim