Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #1

Quick Intro

Since the "Introduce yourself" thread is too old to respond to I thought I might do a quick introduction so folks might not be too quick to chuckle at my silly Excel questions once they understand where we're coming from.

My DW Karin and I haven't owned a 5th wheel in more than 20 years and for the past 2 years we have been thinking seriously about preparing ourselves for retirement. The kids are grown so other than a couple grandkids we don't really have to consider anyone else but ourselves. A couple weeks ago we purchased a 2009 33 TKE and set out looking for a truck. That may seem the backwards way of doing things but good, reasonably priced RV's are hard to find in our area so when we stumbled across the Excel we grabbed it and then set out to buy a truck. We took delivery of our 2016 Chevy 3500HD this evening during severe thunderstorms and hail. Now I need to purchase a hitch and install it.

This is a big life changing event for us as we put our house on the market and are making some serious changes. Our friends and coworkers think we're nuts but they aren't us so who are they to judge, right? A friend has offered up some land to build a simple small house on and even though it isn't the ultimate situation, we'll be happier knowing we're working for the ultimate goal - complete, debt free independence and the ability to do what we want.

This all sounded great when we started this but to be quite honest, it's scaring me a bit. The Mrs?... not so much - she's all for it. We may be living in our Excel for the summer and may have to find a small place to rent next winter until we can get the house thing taken care of but we have each other and that seems to defeat everything thrown our way. I have at least 4 more years to work but we will probably go longer. In the mean time we'll be traveling and treating the grandkids to all the trips we couldn't give them earlier - starting with some national parks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the update Kyle. Just a note about your choice of lifestyle. Almost all of our friends and family went bazerk when we told them we were selling our 2700 sq. ft. custom built home and everything in it and hitting the road FT in our Excel. Most thought we were teasing, etc. My aunt gave us 30 days and we made a $20 bet. Next month we're now starting our 12th year of FTing. I think many folks out there have a big fear of selling all their stuff, and that's OK. But don't let other scare the hell out ya. Do what you want. Good luck, be well and have lots and lots of fun. What a life! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
...be well and have lots and lots of fun.
That's the whole idea, isn't it? Gotta concentrate on the goal.
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
JDT

The wife and I rattle around in a 3100 square foot house that was great when the kids were home. Not so much now except when the 7 grandkids are here at the same time. We've been rv'ing for most of our 45 years together and it never gets old but full timing was never in the cards for us. With 2 kids and their families just 3 blocks from us and the other less than 60 miles away the best I've been able to do is 6 weeks before the wife needs her grandkid fix. Generally, we will spend 3 to 4 months a season in the Winslow. This year our long trip is a month in Colorado.

Kyle, sounds like you have a plan that is well grounded with some fun added for extra measure. Retirement has been wonderful for us but my does it seem to go fast. I retired 11 years ago and it still seems like yesterday. Enjoy it while you can.

Ask all the questions you want. Gives us something to do on the slow days and keeps the brain active. And, congratulations on the truck. Tom and I don't think you could do any better than a GMC/Chevy. Did you get the Duramax?

Since I know Tom will read this I'll ask him a question. I'm thinking about changing my shocks to a set of Bilstein 4600's which I've read will help with the ride. Any opinions?
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:43 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Jim, thanks for the confidence in my opinion. I know that Bilsteins make a great shock, but personally have never had the need to use them, so can't really comment. Maybe some of the folks that have them may chime in. We do love our Bullet. He's been perfect and he does pull like mad, much more torque and horsepower than ol' Tug (05 D/A CC dually). rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
... Did you get the Duramax?

Since I know Tom will read this I'll ask him a question. I'm thinking about changing my shocks to a set of Bilstein 4600's which I've read will help with the ride. Any opinions?
We did get the Duramax. It actually has more equipment that I had intended to buy but it was on the lot and the price was right.

Bilsteins are great shocks. We installed them at Henderson's Line-Up when I worked there a couple decades ago. They will, however, effect your ride. How much, I can't tell you. I had Bilsteins on my 1500 that I sold to get the 3500 and it was definitely firmer over stock. EDIT: Although the ride when empty was a bit firmer, the loaded performance is when they really shine. The KYB's were a tamer alternative to the Bilsteins and somewhat cheaper.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I will throw my vote in for a Duramax as well. I had my Duramax for almost 4 years and find my truck to be comfortable as well as powerful. I am amazed as to how well it handle upgrades and controls descents using the engine brake. Best thing I ever did was purchase this Duramax. Mine happens to be a Siverado LTZ.

I did add airbags in the rear which help smooth the ride when pulling the Toyhauler.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2013 Excel Wild Cargo -41GKE
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500HD Dually
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburke8 View Post
I did add airbags in the rear which help smooth the ride when pulling the Toyhauler.
Where did you get your bags?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
In Quartzsite AZ.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2013 Excel Wild Cargo -41GKE
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500HD Dually
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote