Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Recaulking Windows

This spring I've been replacing failing and not so pretty previous patches to the caulk on my '03 Excel. Straightforward stuff, if a little time consuming. My question is about caulking windows. Some of the windows on my RV are caulked completely around the perimeter - both sides, top, and bottom in a continuous bead. On others the bottom is left open, with only the sides and top sealed. I'm not sure if that's what was meant and there's a reason they're different, or if it's just that my trailer's original owner was a bit willy-nilly with reseals. The few windows with no caulk along the bottom appear to have always been that way. As I recaulk, should I leave the bottoms open on all of them?

2003 Excel Classic 30RLO
KentuckyRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #2

I'd reseal them all using butyl rubber tape. Remove the window from the unit, clean off all old sealant, put down a continuous layer of butyl rubber with the seam at the bottom. Reinstall the window, tighten down, trim off the excess rubber that squeezes out around the perimeter.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

I'm sure you will find every option mentioned. On my present Alpenlite I inspected the area where the window, door or compartment frame contacted the sidewall/surface and caulked the top and sides as required. Being the second owner the prior didn't have a consistent plan either.

Here are two photos.

I was helping the owner with a problem he was having with this window....the photo shows that the window was caulked all around as well as all 3 of the windows on the rear of the unit. The photo also shows that this corner/radius was just (if any) making contact with the fiberglass. Unit was an early 200?

This photo was from the main slide on my prior 2001 Excel....I rebuilt the interior side wall below the window in 2009 because of water damage. Notice the small gap/opening between the frame and surface. None of the windows on the unit were caulked. I was the third owner.

You have to chose what feels comfortable... I inspect and do top and sides.

workhorse
Old 05-21-2016, 10:50 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
The later models 2011 and forward (IIRC) use the black butyl tape as rvrond mentioned. Over time, especially in the summer heat it does ooze and requires finessing with a plastic hockey stick to keep it looking nice.

Or you can simple run a nice bead of caulk all the way around. PI always recommended 100% silicone. But other folks like the Pro Flex stuff.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #5

Thanks for the help, guys.

Workshop, I'll do the top and sides as well since that appears to be how it was originally done.

Rockintom, Peterson Industries did not use butyl tape prior to 2011? I assumed both tape and caulk were used. Wrvond, on my previous Winnebago Class A none of the windows were caulked. Based on the RVs I've seen, caulked windows seem to be more of a trailer thing. Or maybe just a particular era RV kind of thing.

2003 Excel Classic 30RLO
Old 05-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Patrick, PI may have used both on butyl and caulk way back when as I'm not sure. Our 05 FLR had "foam tape" and caulk on windows. Not caulked on the bottom of window. My understanding is the foam tape was considered a failure. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #7

OK, thanks. Good to know. It never occurred to me that caulk could be my only protection against leaks. Based on Workshop's experience I'll play it safe and keep an extra close eye on all the windows.

2003 Excel Classic 30RLO
Old 05-23-2016, 05:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyRVer View Post
Thanks for the help, guys.

Workshop, I'll do the top and sides as well since that appears to be how it was originally done.

Rockintom, Peterson Industries did not use butyl tape prior to 2011? I assumed both tape and caulk were used. Wrvond, on my previous Winnebago Class A none of the windows were caulked. Based on the RVs I've seen, caulked windows seem to be more of a trailer thing. Or maybe just a particular era RV kind of thing.
Many years ago I had a Holiday Rambler class 'A' with butyl rubber caulking all around and never had a leak. Just three years ago, I went to look at a Georgetown, the seller pressure washed the unit just before I arrived (never a good idea) which resulted in a large puddle of water on top of the bedroom dresser. Turned out he was spraying upwards and it basically entered directly into the room through the bottom of the window. I have noticed both motor homes and TT's seem to no longer be caulked on all sides of anything. I recently recaulked the exterior lights of my TT only to discover nothing more than a thin silicon bead across the top of each light with a piece of foam behind. I've come to the conclusion the new method is a cost cutting and time saving effort. To my mind the interior of these units is too easily damaged by water intrusion to risk it, so I seal every mating surface I can find.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

Good Idea!
Excel Worker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window