Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #1

Refrigerator auxiliary fans

I am interested in the experiences of anyone who has installed auxiliary fans to improve the performance of their slide-out installed refrigerators. The refrigerator in our 2011 36GKE struggles when temps get up around 90. Thanks.
KnightsWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed both chimney fans (PC case fans @ 12volts) and an interior fan mounted on the cooling fins. I can control both sets of fans from two remote rocker switches I installed. I still have and use one of those small blue box C battery fans. I place it on the bottom self just to keep air mixed up even more.

The fans together has made a big difference. My biggest problem now is learning to set the temperature level higher so as not to freeze everything in the frig. Ice cream stays frozen and I freeze meats, etc. in short time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
I installed both chimney fans (PC case fans @ 12volts) and an interior fan mounted on the cooling fins. I can control both sets of fans from two remote rocker switches I installed. I still have and use one of those small blue box C battery fans. I place it on the bottom self just to keep air mixed up even more.

The fans together has made a big difference. My biggest problem now is learning to set the temperature level higher so as not to freeze everything in the frig. Ice cream stays frozen and I freeze meats, etc. in short time.
Thanks. I am not familiar with the RSO floor plan. Our refer is in the slide-out so there is no roof vent to install a stack vent like the one Valtera has come out with. I plan on installing fans in the interior of the refer. Really trying to figure out where to put the fans to help cool the evaporator coils, and where people got their 12v power from. Where did you tap in to get the power for your stack fans?
Old 09-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The refer is side mounted just inside the door. There's a chimney behind the refer and bathroom that extends to the basement. I ran the power leads to the basement where I have an aux. 12 volt fuse block and tapped into power there. To get the positive power lead out of the frig I ran the thin power lead through the drain tube. No need to cut the frig wall. From there it was a straight shot into the basement.

I would think you could add chimney fans anywhere above the heat exchanger just inside the top vent and be fine. I have no idea where you have 12 volt power in that slide. Since those fans require very little power you could probably tap into the 12v line that goes to the frig's controller board. The cooling fins are already grounded so the negative leads of the fan just connects to the fins.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #5

KnightsWatch : When I was a "newbie" to forums like this one I would spend hours in the evening browsing the archives chasing various subject matters. Made it so when I DID post something I was educated the best I could be beforehand and be able to participate in an intelligent back and forth conversation knowing what others have done with similar issues.

It would appear you haven't done your homework.

There are HOURS of reading about refers and fan mods in the archives. Some are mine.

Often archive searches and the great solutions found there preclude a need to post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0670.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	175450  
Old 09-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Knight just curious what model Norcold is your frig? I've heard of issues on the bigger N1210 model in this regard, even though they use 2 fans in the outside upper vent area from the factory. I've had 3 of the N1095 units that have not had the issue you describe. My fan starts to run when it is near 90*F ambient. Just lately we've be 109-115 temps and the frig and freezer are doing fine (didn't measure inside temp since it seems fine).
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
KnightsWatch : When I was a "newbie" to forums like this one I would spend hours in the evening browsing the archives chasing various subject matters. Made it so when I DID post something I was educated the best I could be beforehand and be able to participate in an intelligent back and forth conversation knowing what others have done with similar issues.

It would appear you haven't done your homework.

There are HOURS of reading about refers and fan mods in the archives. Some are mine.

Often archive searches and the great solutions found there preclude a need to post.
It isn't that I haven't attempted to do that. I do not now how to search for Excel specific posts. I really don't care to read about how someone did their mod on their Monaco MH. One really doesn't need this forum at all to find plenty videos of fan installations. In fact, I only come to this forum when I cannot find what I want elsewhere. I am seeking specifically for Excel slide-out installed evaporator fan installations.

I see many posts on this forum, and the other one I am on for our TT, to which I could respond in the same manner as you did to my inquiry. When I can I offer insight from my experience or direction as to where to find the info they are seeking. If you would be so kind as to direct me as to how to access your posts on this manner, I would enjoy reading them.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #8

KnightsWatch,
It isn't an Excel, but in my last Suites, I did something similar to what the pic from dwhit--my Dometic was in the slide and the factory single fan died. Ran perforated angle iron across the upper vent inside the cover and placed 2 computer fans. Removed the temp control switch and direct-wired to an on/off switch using the already-present feed wire.
Worked very well for drawing air up into the bottom vent and out the upper vent.
I put this repsponse in with the belief that most slide-mounted fridges are similar and wired with an air fan--just thought it might help.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Knight just curious what model Norcold is your frig? I've heard of issues on the bigger N1210 model in this regard, even though they use 2 fans in the outside upper vent area from the factory. I've had 3 of the N1095 units that have not had the issue you describe. My fan starts to run when it is near 90*F ambient. Just lately we've be 109-115 temps and the frig and freezer are doing fine (didn't measure inside temp since it seems fine).
Hey Rockin. I am probably a little ahead of myself here. We are still in Alaska and won't be down to our 5er in Edinburg until mid October. As you probably know, last winter was considerably warmer than normal and our refer struggled with it. I won't be able to check the model number until we get down there in 6 weeks. I'm just looking to give it a little help.

I was considering installing a residential refer, but we bought a 20' TT for trippin around Texas in the winter and our trip back and forth from Alaska. That ate up the funds for the residential refer for a year. Thanks for your interest in my inquiry.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
KnightsWatch,
It isn't an Excel, but in my last Suites, I did something similar to what the pic from dwhit--my Dometic was in the slide and the factory single fan died. Ran perforated angle iron across the upper vent inside the cover and placed 2 computer fans. Removed the temp control switch and direct-wired to an on/off switch using the already-present feed wire.
Worked very well for drawing air up into the bottom vent and out the upper vent.
I put this repsponse in with the belief that most slide-mounted fridges are similar and wired with an air fan--just thought it might help.
Joe
Thanks Joe. When I get down to our 5er in Texas next month I will check to see if there is a fan that is either dead or not getting the job done from which I could get the 12v from. I have seen similar fan mods as dwhits on youtube etc. and figured that was the route I would go. I guess I just really want to know if there is easily accessible 12v feed on the Excel.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #11

WHAT BRAND/MODEL OF FRIDGE???

Factory installed fans are located centerline just above the absorber tubes (those are the large slanted tubing)

12V DC power comes from DC terminal block in outside compartment or off of control board.
12V POS goes thru an in-line 1A fuse to the t-stat and then from t-stat to fans.
T-stat is attached to condenser fin (far right fin) and closes (starts fans) at 130*F FIN Temp. Opens (stops fans) at 115*F FIN temp

Above is 'generic' fridge fan info.
Depends on BRAND/MODEL

Some folks install fans in lower vent/access cover to blow air in (least efficient)
Some folks install fans in upper vent/access cover to suck air out (better)
OEM Factory fans are mid position centerline to pull air in thru lower vent up thru absorber tubing and then blow it across condenser fins and out upper vent

BUT.......BIG BUT
Majority of rv fridge cooling issues are due to RV Mfgs NOT installing RV Fridges per Fridge Mfgs Installation Instructions paying attention to clearances, dead air spaces and baffles if needed to direct the airflow.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #12

Much better description, thanks.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #13

Thanks a lot OB. Going to the ARPrv site to do some reading now.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #14

KnightsWatch : I apologize for my rude post. I'm getting old, constantly in pain and I'm way-huge bored where we're camped for two months. I responded poorly.

AND I can't consume alcohol anymore...heart problems. I used to be a fun-loving intoxicated guy but now...justa' crotchety old man.

Sorry.

Tags
fan, refrigerator