Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #1

Just a cautionary note for those of us who use the Watts water pressure regulator.

You should check the outbound water pressure occasionally. I just checked mine and found that the pressure was much higher than where I had set it. Even worse, when I tried to re-adjust it I could not. Upon investigation I found that the internal spring had rusted and therefore lost its ability to provide tension.

I have replaced it with a new one.

My original regulator was the N45B with the plastic/composite cap for the spring. The new one is an N250B with a metal cap for the spring. I don't know if there will be any difference regarding rusting of the spring between the two. But, I will occasionally check pressure just to be sure.

I could probably replace the spring in the old one if I can find the right spring. Haven't spent a lot of time in that effort yet.

2005 35MKO
Curt Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #2

Just a cautionary note for those of us who use the Watts water pressure regulator.

You should check the outbound water pressure occasionally. I just checked mine and found that the pressure was much higher than where I had set it. Even worse, when I tried to re-adjust it I could not. Upon investigation I found that the internal spring had rusted and therefore lost its ability to provide tension.

I have replaced it with a new one.

My original regulator was the N45B with the plastic/composite cap for the spring. The new one is an N250B with a metal cap for the spring. I don't know if there will be any difference regarding rusting of the spring between the two. But, I will occasionally check pressure just to be sure.

I could probably replace the spring in the old one if I can find the right spring. Haven't spent a lot of time in that effort yet.

2005 35MKO
Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Welcome aboard Curt! Thanks for the info on Watts regulator, I have used the Watts since I found out the RV regulators are nothing but junk (first two weeks on the road). I have always had a gauge on the front and rear of the regulator to monitor both pressures (anal retentive). I haven't had the issue you're describing cause mine (2 of them) have gotten stolen out of RV parks in the night and I had to get a new set up. The one I'm using now is painted flat black to aid in not catching the eye of the potential thief. Thanks for sharing your experience. Good info.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have always had a gauge on the front and rear of the regulator to monitor both pressure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I need pictures please. I'll bet mine is rusted also because my gauge is cloudy on the inside.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Virg,
Here's some pix...sorry but the regulator is in a underground box at this park. Hard to see. The regulated pressure gauge is at the inlet of the rig in this application. Just FYI...I run my regulator at 55 PSI. Works OK for me. HTH. rockin'

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Sir KnowItAll,

You state that you have a regulator in front and behind the Watts. But by the picture that you provide you have the elbow connected to the water line, connected to the regulator, connected to the pressure gauge, connected to the water hose, connected to the second pressure gauge, connected to the water inlet on the fiver. (Sounds like a song.)

Looks to me like you have both pressure gauges behind the regulator, which both should read the same pressure going into the rig. Here I thought you knew what you were talking about. Also looks like you need to replace the inlet to the fiver, as it's not going into the fiver straight. Thought you took better care of you rig then that.

You do have the right idea in your thoughts but wrong application process.

Yea, I'm being hard on you. Probaly hurt you fellings also. Oh well!!!

Glad to hear Ms Donna's doctors appointment went for the best. Give her a extra hug.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Still,

You can't read I guess.....as I said, in this application , the regulator with both gauges won't fit in the underground box. That's why I have both attached to the regulated side. I can't see the regulated pressure gauge attached to the regulator in the pit, so mounted the second gauge next to the Journey. Not rocket science. The fresh water inlet is the just the same as when I bought it. Works OK so far. I can clearly see why you live in rural KS, city folks would just run all over you! No wonder your "Still Working" Countryboy IQ-you-wished-14!

Thanks for the well wishes with Miss Donnna! You are too kind!
Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I mounted my Watts in the bay. That way it don't go away. I have had some pressure creep on occasion, but have had no problem reducing the pressure. My Watts has a down stream gage.
Carvin Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Well it looks to me like....
supply faucet
regulator
gauge
hose
gauge
regulator

But what do I know, I'm not nearly as sophisticated in outdoor activities as RockheadTommy.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:46 AM   #10

Tom,

You have got to quit staying at those RV parks down on the "wrong side of the tracks". Knock on wood, I have had mine for 3 years, still brass colored before it failed.

BTW Curt Brown is an alter-ego for Curtis Brown. Thanks for the welcome Tom. But I know who you are!

2005 35MKO
Old 09-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two questions came to mind right away.
1. Pressure is NOT regulated from hose bib to regulator inlet. Bad for hose when high pressure is present.
2. I'd have a hard time watching the pressure on a regular basis. I'd hate to have to move out part of the basement just to read a guage. How do you do it?
I use a "y" at the bib followed by the regulater, hose and another "y" at the unit inlet. This give me the vesatility to use high pressure, regulated pressure and easily read inlet and outlet pressure.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curt Brown:
Tom,

You have got to quit staying at those RV parks down on the "wrong side of the tracks". Knock on wood, I have had mine for 3 years, still brass colored before it failed.

BTW Curt Brown is an alter-ego for Curtis Brown. Thanks for the welcome Tom. But I know who you are! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first pressure regulator was stolen out of a sweet little park in sleepy o'l North Platte NE (while visiting redcow and his bride). We had a elderly man as a neighbor who ask way too many questions about my Watts regulator the day before it was stolen by his door to his rig. Hard to prove though.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Virg,

Read, reread and read it again!!! Maybe Jo can splain it to you!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:10 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
When discussing items such as these, we really should be mentioning the model #. For instance, Curt talks about the Watts N45B, but others don't always talk specifics, so who knows what they are using? Watts makes a lot of different models.....a LOT!

As for my setup I also use an N45B also, set up inside the bay along with a downstream gauge. But I did blow a hose this summer during a very hot time when hose pressures were too strong for the hose. But I can replace a hose easier and cheaper than a regulator.

The other option is to not park next to Tom's neighbor!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote