Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #15

I thought about getting a remote, but anyone that is to lazy to have his wife go out and close the awning should not have one!!!
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #16

I spoke with Dometic's customer service and they said there are no hardwired switches provided with the 9500E units but their engineering dept is working on adding it as an option. They did steer me to this site for exploded parts views. Put in the first three numbers of your product code followed by an asterisk or wildcard to search. I haven't had a chance to review any of the drawings they provide here but they might prove useful for adding remotes or other issues. Hope this helps

eDometic Service Parts by MFG No./Model
hydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Hipshot, if you had to go outside access the rocker switch, would you use the remote from inside?
or install a rocker switch inside, allthough I do use remotes for the lights and fans on the pool deck at the S&B.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
or install a rocker switch inside....
That's doable, but will require more work fishing wires through the wall than just wiring up a receiver to the existing switch.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
JDT

Too many ideas here that I didn't know I even needed. No way am I trying to hijack Russell's thread but it did get me to thinking. My slide switches, tank monitor and electrical panel are on the wall on the right of the front door. The bath is directly behind that wall but beneath it level with the electrical panes is an open area that is behind the divider wall of the basement storage. In other words, there is an open shot to the awning switch so it would be easy to wire in a second switch where the others are. Would it have to be a 3 way switch to make it work? Any suggestions on what kind of switch it would need would be appreciated.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Too many ideas here that I didn't know I even needed. No way am I trying to hijack Russell's thread but it did get me to thinking. My slide switches, tank monitor and electrical panel are on the wall on the right of the front door. The bath is directly behind that wall but beneath it level with the electrical panes is an open area that is behind the divider wall of the basement storage. In other words, there is an open shot to the awning switch so it would be easy to wire in a second switch where the others are. Would it have to be a 3 way switch to make it work? Any suggestions on what kind of switch it would need would be appreciated.
I may install a momentary on/off switch on the side of the bedroom dresser. The access is easy from the existing switch and up through the floor where the washer drain lines run directly under the dresser. Would be cheaper than buying a remote and would give ability to open and close the awning from inside. I could look out the bedroom window and watch it.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
JDT

Instead of getting another switch I moved mine from the storage bay to the skinny cabinet under the grandfather clock where the slide switches and tank monitor panel are located. Was very easy to do on my model and there is plenty of room in the cabinet. Only took four lengths of 12 gauge wire and my Rockwell oscillating saw with a trim blade to cut the hole for the switch. Now, as someone said, I don't have to feel bad because the wife can close it from inside instead of sending her out in the rain.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
JDT

Since moving my awning switch inside I decided it would be nice to have one outside also. Found a Sigma series 129 T85 on-off-on switch for 9 bucks at a local rv parts store. It is a 4 wire hook up just like the A&E but in a different pattern. After figuring out the wiring locations for the Sigma I removed the A&E switch and put it in it's place. Worked fine. Put the old one back and started trying to figure out how to wire the Sigma so I could open and close the awning from either switch.

Here's where my lack of electrical skills shows up. In my mind I'm thinking I just need to just run a jumper wire from each of the 4 wires that go to the inside switch and attach them to the Sigma, which I did. But, each time I tried the Sigma the 15 amp fuse would blow so obviously I did it wrong or it just won't work this way. There is a paired green & white wire which is the motor leads, one for forward and one for reverse. The other two wires are a paired black & white which are the positive and negative power feeds.

Can anyone help?

Tags
awning