Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Replacing Carpet

We'd like to replace the downstairs carpet in our Excel with linoleum similar to the Wilson Art we have in the kitchen and entry (it doesn't have to be the *same* Wilson Art, since the lineoleum in both the entry and kitchen will have to be replaced at the same time). We might also consider replacing the carpet and existing linoleum with wood, but I think that might be more problematic not to mention more expensive. The carpet on the slides will remain, as will the carpet on the steps, hall, and bedroom.

Has anyone done this on their Excel? Where did you have it done and about how much did it cost? Did you have to have the slides taken out to do it? It doesn't appear that the slides would have to be taken out since, if you raise up the carpet flap, the place where the carpet on the floor is attached is accessible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #2

MS. Linda,

We did this in our Expedtion. We used Armstong simulated wood ninyl flooinrg. It was relatively easy to install and relatively inexpensive. Here's what it looks like now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38N_NewFloor_0409.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	30790   Click image for larger version

Name:	38N_NewFloor_04093.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	30791  

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Jim and Lynda:

Did you have any slides to worry about? It doesn't appear so from your pictures. Did you have two different surfaces you had to replace or were you just replacing carpet? We have both carpet and linoleum we'd have to replace with -- whatever (the current linoleum is in the entry and in the kitchen). I doubt we'd be able to find matching linoleum and, even if we could, trying to piece it together with the existing linoleum would look pretty bad.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #4

MS. LindaH,

Just got back in town. Yes, our coach is a triple slide coach with 2 front super slides. The PICs show the slides out. The slide on the driver's side is a flush slide which means it drops down level with the main floor. That is why you see carpeting in front of the booth and couch. We didn't want to remove that carpeting because of concerns the slide would damage the floor when it came in. The curb slide doesn't drop down, so we removed that carpeting from in front of that slide. I've attached another PIC, it has a blemish in the PIC that is not in the floor. Maybe that will give you a better view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38N_NewFloor_04091.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	30860  

Old 12-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
You need not remove the slides to put new flooring in your coach. I never have removed one. The factory did a great job of making them and I can work around anything they made. If someone- dealer- tells you so- all they want is your cash.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #6

MS. LindaH,

Sprry, I didn't read your entire post. We had a combination of vinyl tile and carpeting in our coach. The carpeting isn't difficult to remove, just a lot of staples. We also had to remove the thresholds of course. Because of the quality of the sub floor in our coach, we didn't have to do any prep work on the floor. Our vinyl tile wasn't a problem. One of the interesting things about this flooring is it's easy to match, and the seams are virtually invisible. So much so that we later decided to remove the carpeting in the bathroom area, and do it in the same flooring.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
So, any idea where to get this work done? We're currently in AZ, and will be traveling in NM & TX early next year. We've thought about taking it up to the factory and have them do the work (assuming they'll do it), but I'm not real thrilled about traveling in that area of the country during the spring because of tornadoes!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call RV Sales in Moriarty, NM & they might be able to do it. Also send a PM to Mel Nefzger. He's done his Excel & it looks great. He did it himself so he can give all the tips & tricks about how to do it.

Tim
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
Call RV Sales in Moriarty, NM & they might be able to do it.
Yes, they might be, but that's not going to happen. If you read this thread, in particular my post #4, you'll see why: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/orph...els-32782.html

Quote:
Also send a PM to Mel Nefzger. He's done his Excel & it looks great. He did it himself so he can give all the tips & tricks about how to do it.
I'll do that if we decide to do the work ourselves, which isn't likely, since I'm not capable of getting down on my hands and knees and crawling around and DH said "no way" is he's doing it!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
You need not remove the slides to put new flooring in your coach. I never have removed one. The factory did a great job of making them and I can work around anything they made. If someone- dealer- tells you so- all they want is your cash.
Linda, I would sure talk with Ernie. I have a family member who had his coach done and its very nice. Plus if you look at all Ernies pictures, of work he has done, its all beautiful. I have never seen a bad review by all the folks on the Escapees site who have used him.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
Linda, I would sure talk with Ernie.
I'm in the process of doing that now. Thanks.