Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #29

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMTJ View Post
The day after I left SC, whaddya know it, my furnace starts acting crazy. When it kicks on it makes a high pitch noise. I have no clue what the problem is.

Hi Tim I ran into that problem and found the blower had slipped down and was making contact with the cage. Took some doing but was able to get my finger under neath and lift the blower up and use a long allen wrench through a small hole on the side of the cage and keep moving the blower around until I was able to find the set screw and tighten it up no problem so far and this has been 5 years. Make sure the furnace is off. Let me know if I can be of any help ? This may not be the same for you.

Dick
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
Hi Tim I ran into that problem and found the blower had slipped down and was making contact with the cage. Took some doing but was able to get my finger under neath and lift the blower up and use a long allen wrench through a small hole on the side of the cage and keep moving the blower around until I was able to find the set screw and tighten it up no problem so far and this has been 5 years. Make sure the furnace is off. Let me know if I can be of any help ? This may not be the same for you.

Dick
Teabag......Tim has the Suburban furnace and yours is Atwood. Quite a bit different animal. But still a good idea to check. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #31

Excel Owners Club
I've been chatting with Tim on email. He sent me a video of the noise. I couldn't hear anything different than mine. The furnace was running on low speed and it makes a noise kinda like a squeal which mine does too. My old ears are pretty bad though and I did hear many higher pitched sounds. Too many years of running race car engines in a tin Butler building. Dumb ass......we didn't know any better way back then. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #32

Rick, I did try switching tanks and it didn't appear to make a difference.

Dick, I'll see about pulling apart a couple of panels to get a better look.

Tom, yours does make a similar sound but mine does seem more high pitch. My furnace has never made that noise before that is the reason for my concern.

I took a gander up the intake and exhaust. It seems the noise is actually coming from the intake. Looking up the intake there appears to be an obstruction. I have never looked before so I'm not sure if this is new. Here is a pic -

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4209395860.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	34406

I put a screw driver up there and it is hard like it is part of the pipe. I'm confused?!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post

Teabag......Tim has the Suburban furnace and yours is Atwood. Quite a bit different animal. But still a good idea to check. rockin'
Tom, I have an Atwood.

Name:	image-2156300123.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	34407
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #34

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
...Looking up the intake there appears to be an obstruction. I have never looked before so I'm not sure if this is new. Here is a pic -

Attachment 34406

I put a screw driver up there and it is hard like it is part of the pipe. I'm confused?!
It looks like a mud dauber nest in the photo.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #35

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tom, I have an Atwood.

Attachment 34407
Isn't that for your water heater?

drfife

A mud dauber nest would have broken apart when struck by the screwdriver. If not, them must be some real mean mud daubers. Heck they could bury someone alive.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post

Isn't that for your water heater?

drfife

A mud dauber nest would have broken apart when struck by the screwdriver. If not, them must be some real mean mud daubers. Heck they could bury someone alive.
Wow, don't I feel stupid! It sure is!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Your welcome.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tom, I have an Atwood.

Attachment 34407

Tim the picture of the atwood switch is your Hot water Tank control. Your heater is controled through the thermostat for your ac/heater . I don't think you have a propane and electric heater.

Dick
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #39

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tim the picture of the atwood switch is your Hot water Tank control. Your heater is controled through the thermostat for your ac/heater . I don't think you have a propane and electric heater.

Dick
Dick, your starting to act like the rest of us. Rubbing it in after he admitted that he screwed up. Read the two post in front of yours.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #40

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

Dick
Tim, I got early and didn't even look at the other post sorry about that.

Dick
Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #41

Still haven't figured out the noisy furnace although it seems I have tempered it down a bit by pulling apart the outside panel to inspect then putting back together.

Not related to this thread, but I wanted to share a cool mod we recently did. My wife is a TRX certified group trainer as well as a personal trainer. We both enjoy doing TRX and decided that with the wood framing, our WC was an ideal anchor for the TRX mounts. Here's a pic of Traci testing it out.

Name:	image-1218859276.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	596.9 KB
ID:	34732
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Oh my goodness. That Traci looks way kewl checking out your TRX system. But the real test is to let ME give it a work out. That would be a true test!!! Ha. Last time we saw you guys was in Monterey and Ms. Traci was a wee bit bigger at 8.75 months pregnant!

When you first mentioned TRX......I thought you guys were doing something naughty!!! Have fun guys! rockin'