Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Rockin'-Caulkin'

While waxing the Charm, I've been running into small spots of caulking that needs repair. Unless you look very close, it could be easily missed. Check out the pix below. Looking at the caulking at a glance it would be easily missed that it has a gap between the caulk and the molding where the front cap meets body of the coach. Perfect place for water to enter. Flexing of the nose is what caused this issue (normal) during towing. I thought sharing this recaulk scenario might help someone down the line. I've done nicer looking caulking applications, but I've also have seen worse! rockin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Caulking Example 001 (800x600).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	23602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Caulking Example 004 (600x800).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	23603  

Name:	Excel Caulking Example 003 (600x800).jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	23604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Caulking Example 005 (800x600).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	23605  

Name:	Excel Caulking Example 006 (600x800).jpg
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	23606  
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Tom, the wine is for after the caulking job, not before!!! Seriously, all of my caulking jobs look like our Beagle did it. Better an ugly caulk line than a trip to S.C.in December!!!

Best,

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
Tom, the wine is for after the caulking job, not before!!! Seriously, all of my caulking jobs look like our Beagle did it. Better an ugly caulk line than a trip to S.C.in December!!!

Best,

Dave
Good hearin' from ya Dave! That caulk line is crooked on purpose.....that's actually the way it's formed.....anyhow I don't drink wine that early in the morning...... or do I? I forget!!! rocky
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
That caulk line is crooked on purpose.....that's actually the way it's formed.....anyhow I don't drink wine that early in the morning...... or do I? I forget!!! rocky
Indeed, they all need recaulking, all brands, all models ... dealer handed me a tube to finish redoing one corner of my slideout. Out here in the 7% humidity of Rawlins, WY we are even getting some monsoonal rains occasionally, more so up on the Yela Fever GPAA gold claim where we have been hanging out on our days off ... now that is workamping with a few rewards!

Glad to hear you are still full of it, keep up the documenting. We miss our Excel and the 300 sf we had, but have been up some 4x4 roads to some BLM & NFS campgrounds that were scary to take our SOB truck camper! Then some dude brought in a 40' toyhauler next to us like nothing. I prefer not to make that much contact with pine trees coming in as he did!

Solar is great, a 150W panel is all we need, except for running the generator 15 min a day for the coffee & microwave. You haven't heard from us much as we are typically 30 miles from the nearest cell signal, coming to Rawlins to workamp for our site & use the WIFI, LOL!

See ya!

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Tom, all you need to do next year at the Reunion is let the fine lady that does the caulking show you how to do it. She don't need any painters tape . But I must admit, she get's lots of practice and is fast. It would take longer to get the ladder out then to do the caulking.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Tom, all you need to do next year at the Reunion is let the fine lady that does the caulking show you how to do it. She don't need any painters tape . But I must admit, she get's lots of practice and is fast. It would take longer to get the ladder out then to do the caulking.
Thanks still,

I'd love to learn how to do some caulkin' from the caulkin' gal. I know I could keep her busy!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good catch Rockin' . Just goes to show, we need to look at our caulk lines from different angles, and that is precisely what I intend to do.

Say.....ummm, just how old is your rig, have you contacted PI about this and should we feel sorry for you? Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
RET FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET FF View Post
Good catch Rockin' . Just goes to show, we need to look at our caulk lines from different angles, and that is precisely what I intend to do.

Say.....ummm, just how old is your rig, have you contacted PI about this and should we feel sorry for you? Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
OK Fire Lizard.....I deserve that one! Old Charm is 17 months old.....should I worry that she growing wiskers????
Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #9

Tom what did you use for caulk?
chevman
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
Tom what did you use for caulk?
chevman
Hey Larry,

I've used all kinds and brands......my last being GEII 100% pure silicone. Of course that's for the stuff on the sides and Dicor Lap Sealer on the flat roof stuff. rockin'
Old 07-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When I apply caulk, I tape it off, apply the caulk then dip my finger in rubbing alcohol and smooth the caulk and remove the excess.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If Rockin were to use the alcohol dip method it would be with his tongue and it would red of the red color..LOL..
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
If Rockin were to use the alcohol dip method it would be with his tongue and it would red of the red color..LOL..
chief.....You are on it today!!! Almost as good as the Herman Deiscmeister's one liner!!!

Paul.....I've used water to aid smoothing the caulk with my finger.......I'll hafta try the alcohol bit as it sounds tasty! rockin'