Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Had a weird deal happen last night and just want to run it by you.

After traveling all day we boondocked last night. Left Journey all hooked up to Tug and went and turned on my little 800W inverter to watch TV and within a couple of minutes the "low voltage" alarm went off (E01 code). Check my 2 group 27 batts and had 10.5V and the lites inside were noticeably dimmer then normal. Remember Tug's still hooked up with the umbilical cord. Checked Tug's batts and got a reading of 12.6V. Am I missing something here? And yes, I did have the battery disconnect to the "ON" position. This is the first time I've had this happen since we've owned it. Shouldn't I have a similar voltage reading in the trailer, after running down the road all day? Checked to make sure cable connections and umbilical cord was plugged in good. Acted like the truck wasn't charging the trailer batts while we driving (or cable even hooked up).

Today checked voltage in trailer at batts again before leaving (cord still hooked up all nite). 10.2V. Stopped after 4 hrs and the batts in trailer now read 12.2 V. Huh? We are now at a park and plugged in and the charging voltage is 13.5V. No, I haven't load tested the batts in the trailer, but have maintained them and never had this issue before. Am I missing something I not thinking about? IRRC, the trailer batteries take quite a bit longer to charge from the TV, then the TV batteries. Right?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Had a weird deal happen last night and just want to run it by you.

After traveling all day we boondocked last night. Left Journey all hooked up to Tug and went and turned on my little 800W inverter to watch TV and within a couple of minutes the "low voltage" alarm went off (E01 code). Check my 2 group 27 batts and had 10.5V and the lites inside were noticeably dimmer then normal. Remember Tug's still hooked up with the umbilical cord. Checked Tug's batts and got a reading of 12.6V. Am I missing something here? And yes, I did have the battery disconnect to the "ON" position. This is the first time I've had this happen since we've owned it. Shouldn't I have a similar voltage reading in the trailer, after running down the road all day? Checked to make sure cable connections and umbilical cord was plugged in good. Acted like the truck wasn't charging the trailer batts while we driving (or cable even hooked up).

Today checked voltage in trailer at batts again before leaving (cord still hooked up all nite). 10.2V. Stopped after 4 hrs and the batts in trailer now read 12.2 V. Huh? We are now at a park and plugged in and the charging voltage is 13.5V. No, I haven't load tested the batts in the trailer, but have maintained them and never had this issue before. Am I missing something I not thinking about? IRRC, the trailer batteries take quite a bit longer to charge from the TV, then the TV batteries. Right?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 10-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Electrical ???? Beyond my old brain cells.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Hey Tom,

Were you going through big changes in outside temparature?? If you are developing battery problems, colder temparatures can reduce the output of a worn battery.

Your TV is a chevy right?? has something happened to the connections of that large 40 amp fuse in the fuse box next to you road side battery?? Poor connection here can limit the charge rate of your trailer batteries from your ambilical cord.

I think Chevy's also have a relay that disconnects that 40 amp line to the trailer unless your truck ignition key is on, so your trailer can't kill your truck batteries overnight.

If memory is still good from my GMC, the trailer fuse is F2 (but I could be wrong)

Doug

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Doug,

Your making me think. No big temperature swing. I spray the 7 way connector with contact spray, every once in a while. I will check the male battery terminal at the 7 way connector in keydown mode and see if I have B+ there. Good idea. And check that 40 amp fuse. (I know the fuse you are referring to). I knew I could depend on you guys. But if that fuse was blown I wouldn't have charged the batteries from the truck on the trailer today. Maybe the terminals could be loose or something. I do some more looking. Thanks again! Tom
Old 10-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Tom,

If you have a GM unless you added a relay to disconnect your batteries when you shut the TV down then you should have power on the 7 pin plug all the time. Check and see if you have voltage on pin 4 of your plug on the truck. Also you might want to check for corrosion on the the wiring on the back side of the plug on the truck. If you have good voltage and the terminals are clean check the trailer side conections.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Butch,

Thanks! Good info. I installed the 7 way myself and soldered terminals to wires and used dielectric silicone on them. I'll check for B+ on Pin 4 in the AM if it's not raining! Thanks again, buddy. Folks on this site are the best. Got me a thinkin'!
Tom
Old 10-14-2007, 03:30 AM   #8

Good morning Tom,

Excuse me while I talk out loud, sometimes do that while thinking.

My unit came with a pair of 27 batteries, as I wanted to add an addition battery, this is what I learned from doing it.

The 5er can receive 12v from three sources, the converter, the house batteries and the TV. Sometimes two at the same time. When the converter is operating on 120vac, its output passes through 12v circuit breakers located near the unit in my pass through storage area. From there to the batteries for charging and to the 12v circuit breaker panel that feeds the rest of the 5er's needs.

When the 5er is operating on 12v batteries, it would be basically the same, from batteries to breaker to circuit breaker panel to 5er needs.

When the TV is connected, the 12v will pass through the plug connection into the wire harness on the 5er. On MY unit, if you are looking inside the front storage area, generator bay, on the road side frame the wire harness is routed on the frame to about mid point. The 12v, hot wire, is separated and connected to a 12v breaker, little shiney thing with two terminals. This connection is once again connected to the breakers I mentioned earlier out side the converter.

As you can see, it all ties together and the only way to get a good reading of voltages is to isolate them.

This is what I've had reading of:
...correct voltage coming from 120v converter would be about 13.5v
...if you are reading house batteries alone, no 120v applied, should be state of charge.
...if TV is connected and not running, a voltage slightly higer than house batteries.
...if TV is running, mine have read about 13.7v connected to the batteries and 14.3v if read at the plug. There should be a slight volt drop.

Didn't mean to be so long, but I usualy have to know how it works to know why it doesn't?!?

It sounds like the converter is at its proper output. Would guess the TV charging system is opeating correctly, or the TV would be affected to. If the TV to 5er connection wasn't tight, breakes and running lights would not have been. But on the second day it seems that you were getting the charging because the house batteries were reading +12v.

I have other questions, but you have limited time. Having volt readings at the different places might indicated where a problem might be and where it's being routed to. The breaker in line from the TV might be a problem, but if its charging the second day?

I installed a battery switch, dc receptacle and a plug in dc meter to help take my readings and troubleshooting, don't want to add it here, but if someone wants to know what I did I will be glad to do a "Topic".

Hope something helped.
Chris
Old 10-14-2007, 03:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Chris,
Please post concerning installation of a battery switch, DC volt plug, and plug-in DC meter.

Thanks for an interesting post -- you guys will soon have me educated on this electrical stuff!
Old 10-14-2007, 03:46 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Chris,

You have helped. You've confirmed my thoughts on the circuitry and added some too.

It's raining and I'll check some of this stuff and report back on it. We are traveling day by day so may take a while, but at least I can watch it in our travels.

Thanks again for all the help. You folks are great! Have fun and learn....that's what it all about.

Tom
Old 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Just a quick update. I checked and have system voltage at the male (truck portion) of pin 4 of the truck at the 7 way connector. Same thing with the female (trailer portion) of pin 4. Right now everything is fine, but we are plugged in every night and haven't boondocked since our problem. Won't be boondocking for several nights, so will report more when I have it. Thanks all! Tom