Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #1

Does anyone have a 26 TRW? We currently have a Cameo 33' with the same basic floor plan. We are looking for something shorter and lighter, but a quality rig. We are not full timers but extended travelers. If anyone has one, do you like it? In hindsight, do you wish you got a larger one? What do you tow with? Any info would be appreciated.

ed
Ed R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Ed, Very good post for you're first one!! Welcome to IRV2 and coming in the Excel community. I did a search for Excel membership and it gave me nothing. Mama remember I did ask how many Excel members there are and that was about about four weeks ago!!! So I did a search for RT 26 TRW and found this with names of Squirrel,Bad Bob and Mike and Shirley you can PM them and maybe get you're answer. Good Luck, Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #3

Book2

Thanks for the welcome. I have been interested in Excel for awhile as well as a few others, but the current economic situation has pretty much left me with only Excel and maybe one other. I probably will be purchasing in the next 1.5 to 2 years. I have done a search of dealers and it seems that the 26TRWs are just not stocked.

I also did the same search of the forum for the RT 26 TRW and got the same results as you did. I was thinking of PMing them but thought I would throw this post out this first. It does appear to me that based on this forum and from what I see on the road, larger Excels are the rule and smaller ones are the exception.

ed
Old 02-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I know for a fact that Squirrel has been active in the last month in a couple of threads. Hopefully he will see this and post for you....Book2
Old 02-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Ed
We have an Excel 28TRW which has a similar floor plan of the 26TRW, just a few feet longer. In the past we've had larger fifth wheels trailers, and we've had smaller ones. This one fits us just about right. We are weekend and short trip campers.
Now may be a good time to buy a new Excel. I know of a dealer in Sheldon Iowa who has had a new Excel 26TRW on the lot for a couple of years. He may be getting pretty anxious to sell it. You can check it out at RVCentralinc.com
BTW..if you are not familiar with Iowa, Book2 may be able to give you directions.
camperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check rvsalesnm.com for a '06 28' TRW. They are asking 30K. There is also an 08 26' TRW. They have been the best for us over the years. At least worth the call.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by book2roadtrash:
Ed, Very good post for you're first one!! Welcome to IRV2 and coming in the Excel community. I did a search for Excel membership and it gave me nothing. Mama remember I did ask how many Excel members there are and that was about about four weeks ago!!! So I did a search for RT 26 TRW and found this with names of Squirrel,Bad Bob and Mike and Shirley you can PM them and maybe get you're answer. Good Luck, Book2
B2...yes-you did ask me about how many members there are..and I looked and remembered something close to 200 - I felt I needed to verify each one...but then family things happened. I am comfortable with approximately 200 Excel members at this time and will eventually check the roster. Ed R...welcome to iRV2...and I know you will get some info from the other members...but it may take a bit- so please be patient. I am looking forward to the day that you say you have ordered or bought an Excel so I can give you some "Excel karma"!
Again...welcome to iRV2...please visit often...the boys here will keep you entertained!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
JLS

Excel Owners Club
We have a 26TRW. We've had it for almost a year. I'm towing it with an 06 Chevy 2500 D/A. We are very happy with the trailer so far. We have been snowbirding in it in Parker AZ. since the end of November. The only major issue for us was the two very high steps going from the living area to the bedroom. I solved that problem by building a set of removable steps that we store in the bathroom area when he slide is in. Other than that we have been completely satisfied with our puchase.

2008 Excel R26TRW
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I have a 2007 28TRW, the floor plan is diff. as I only have two slides. I have owned many 5th wheels over the years and am happy with this one. Would love to say it has been trouble free but it has not. Most things have been minor and have taken care of myself. Think I got off to a bad start as the dealer (Windish RV) in Denver area was a poor dealership. Must say the folks at the factory have been great to work with when needed. I would not hesitate to use this unit for extended or fulltime use. If I could stand to be away from the grandkids I would travel more and longer. Always thought grandma would be this way but it's me. You should enjoy any Peterson product you may purchase good company with a great product,
Good Luck
Badbob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:42 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Hi!
We bought a new 2007 EXCEL RT 26ft in July of 08, so this is our first long trip with this RV. We left MN 12/29/08--have been in AR,CA & are now in AZ. We are happy with this unit and it is certainly roomy compared to our slide in Lance Camper that we used the last 5 years. It has plenty of storage & is easily set in place at any RV Park.
The only drawback so far is that Mike feels the bedroom slide could work a bit slower-- so we have to be careful when moving it in & out. The large slide works slower & is easy to control.
We talked with the dealer in Sheldon, Iowa & he had that unit at the time we were buying, so you may be able to "deal" on that unit. We bought ours in Clara City,MN which is closer to where we live. Good Luck in your hunt for the perfect RV for you & Happy Travels!
Mike & Diane McClain >midilain@frontiernet.net<
Diane McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Mike and Diane,what a very nice first post!!! Hope you will comeback and share you're adentures with us! Ask MonacoMama and you will get the Excel logo under you're name! I didn't meet you in Hemet by the way?...Book2
Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Diane McLain..I would like to welcome you to iRV2 and the Excel Owners' Forum!
You have jumped right in with your first post trying to help someone...which is what iRV2 is all about. You will also find that pretty much everyone here on the Excel forum welcomes anyone who owns an Excel into the family.

We hope you decide to hang around for a bit..and continue posting with answers or even some of your own questions that we can help you with.

Again..welcome to iRV2 and the Excel family...we hope you visit & post often.

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #13

Thanks to all that answered. I have a couple of questions?
I see that JLS has a Chevy 2500 D/A. What do BadBob and Diane have? We currently have a 2003 Chevy 3500 Extended Cab DRW with a D/A. We are looking to downsize to a 3500 SRW. We have done extensive towing through the mountains, in heavy winds, and to Alaska in the 46,000 miles we have traveled with no complaints with the DRW. I will say though, that over the years, on three separate occasions; the wind has moved our truck and trailer from the lane we were towing in (a little scary). Otherwise, both have been very stable. Also our tow weight is appx 12k-13k.
JLS, have you done any mountain or high wind driving? If so, how has your 2500 handled it. BadBob and Diane, what kind to tow vehicle do you have and what are your experiences, type of driving, etc?
Also CamperGuy. You have had larger 5vers. Were you able to adjust to the reduced interior storage easily? Our 33’ Cameo has considerable more storage than we need, and the 26TRW seems to have less than we would like though we should be able to make do. Most of our trips are 3-4 months at a time and usually involve bringing clothes for both warmer and cooler/cold weather.

Thanks
ed
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
We have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 with 8.1 gasser. No trouble towing this unit and almost all of my towing is in the mountains. Was going to buy a new truck but so happy with this one decided to just keep it. You should have no trouble with your choice of vehicles.
Badbob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote