Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Sanitizing Fresh Water Tank

This has been discussed but I was looking through some paper work and found this "service bulletin" from PI. Thought it was interesting in an odd sort of way, and may clear up the means to sanitizing the tank. The old PI website had a couple of the bulletins, wish I had printed them all out!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan0001.pdf (428.9 KB, 125 views)
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Mike...I think I posted the same bulletin here a while back.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:58 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Just did mine last week. The trailer had been in storage since last November with the RV antifreeze still in the lines. Cranked up the generator, turned on both A/C's, and took a nap while the bleach water was soaking.

Which raises the question, why did PI place the generator exhaust pipe below the center of the street side basement access door. Almost set my legs on fire a couple of times accessing the circulating pump to change the valve positions and pumping the bleach water into the fresh water tank.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

My generator exhaust is the same but I did access the pump from the other side. I may be confused but I wouldn't want it on the curb side as this is where we are all hanging out when using the generator, under the awning... I put a television outside on a table during football season and if we are boon docking that is the place to be, plus it is close to the entry door to get snacks, and the beer cooler is there. I wouldn't want the exhaust fumes coming at us. I do see your point to get it away from the door. I am not much of a welder but could a guy cut the pipe, 90 it of towards the back, and bring it out just past the basement door, or go towards the front and bring it out front of the door, since the refer vents are towards the back.......?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Easier way:
pour 8 oz bleach in garden hose
Attach hose to hose bib and trailer
Fill fresh tank

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Easier way:
pour 8 oz bleach in garden hose
Attach hose to hose bib and trailer
Fill fresh tank
Good field expedient method. I bet you be one of those edgemicated doctors or somethin'.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
The easier the method, the more frequently it will be done.

I just came off 2 weeks in an electric only site. My fresh tank and pump got quite a workout. I sanitized the tank just before that stop using the easy method...

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #8

Hate to bring this back up but, after sanitizing the fresh water tank, are there any issues with filling the system with well water versus treated city water? Also is there time frame on how long the system stays sanitized?
Old 02-28-2021, 08:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No issues with well water. That about the only thing that my camper ever sees.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:18 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
In the 13 years of FTing, we traveled with some water. Around a 1/4 to 1/2 tank of water. On well water, even if we were setting in a park for a month. I'd use the water in the tank for showers, washing and the like and make sure it was replunished with fresh water every 2 weeks. On city water, once a month. No waste this way and it kept the water fresh for drinking if need be. Seldom ever dump water on the ground from fresh water tank. Maybe overkill....but it work for us.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #11

Dont know if it is true or not, but I was told by by a person who uses well water that he has to clean the water pump filter more often, he says bacteria, or something grows on the screen, reducing the water pump pressure. I have never used well water so have no first hand knowledge.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water