RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #1

Satellite connection

I have a 2015 Winslow with 2 sat connection along with the cable connection. Can I just connect a dish and the box to get service?

varoadbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
JDT

I assume you are talking about the outside connections. Right now we have a roof mounted Trav'ler but when we had a Tailgater I would hook it to one of the outside connections and we had tv in the living room. I don't remember it working in the bedroom because I think the old Tailgater could only support one tv.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Jim, I think what he is asking is about the 2 ways to get satellite from outside. You have one on the roof (decal located on the roof near the rear of coach to be able to tap into the coax). Then there is the one at the cable/phone box. This is for a connection for a dish on the ground. In your entertainment center you have a A/B box to choose which one you want to use. The easy way to remember is "A" is for attic or the roof one and "B" is for basement or the one for the ground one. I believe you'll need a box for each TV, living room and bedroom. HTHs
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
JDT

You are right, as usual, Tom. I forgot I had removed the A/B switch on mine a long time ago. I have both my Wally's working off the Trav'ler and the OTA antenna cables attached to both boxes so I can get and download any OTA channels into the DISH program guide. I also have the park cable tv running thru my Winegard power boost switch which lets me toggle to it if we want, if the park has it available. It's one of those things that works but trying to remember how I did it is a little much for this older brain of mine.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #5

Satelite connection

I am talking about the 2 sat connection plus cable on the back of the unit. Winguard has a unit with 2 outputs so I should be able to get both TVs running.
varoadbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by varoadbiker View Post
I am talking about the 2 sat connection plus cable on the back of the unit. Winguard has a unit with 2 outputs so I should be able to get both TVs running.
Unless you have an old satellite system, you should be able to get both TVs and the DVR with one cable using the SWM system. The SWM satellite dish combines all signals into one cable and in the trailer the SWM system uses splitters to separate each signal.

I had PI install a DirecTV dish when our trailer was built in 2012. They installed a pre-SWM dish that has three outputs requiring three cables, one each for both TVs and one for the DVR. PI only installed two cables in the trailer. Currently, we can't watch a show on one channel and tape another channel at the same time in the living room without disconnecting the bedroom cable and attaching that to the DVR connection on the DVR/receiver.

I will either convert my system to SWM or run a cable outside from the dish on the roof to the cable connection on the street side of the trailer and use this output for the bedroom TV. During travel, I will disconnect the cable from the street side of the trailer and coil up the cable and attach it to the ladder.

CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite