Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2015, 01:11 AM   #1

Satellite roof wiring

I have a 2008 33 limited. Does anyone know if there is a 12volt wire under the roof along with the cable.I am planning on installing a wingard traveler satellite dish and it has two wires to hook up. I was just going to call the factory for this info. I just found out tonight that that phone line might be disconnected. ....thanks Robert
robertleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
JDT

I installed a Trav'ler for DISH on my 2013 Winslow in May. I am not sure if things changed but when I drilled the hole at the marked spot on the roof the 2 RG6 cables were right there. No 12 volt but none is needed for the Trav'ler as it works on AC. Again, not sure with your model but PI provided a 120v outlet in a cabinet for the control box in ours. We have a rear kitchen model and the cabinet is one of the upper ones in the kitchen. I drilled a half inch hole thru the roof above the cabinet to route the power from the antenna. I sealed everything with self leveling caulk. I only had about a five foot run from the antenna to where it entered the cabinet. I used a couple of cable clamps to keep it snug to the roof.

Hope this helps.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to look at the install manual online at Winegard, there are 4 coax and a control cable that has to go through the roof with this unit. You don't need 12 volts on the roof. If you are handy it looks like a easy install they have very good instructions. I almost did mine but got lazy and had CW do it.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
JDT

Just to clarify, the Trav'ler will handle up to 4 receivers but Excel only provides the 2 cables for the living room and bedroom TV's. Plenty for me.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Just to clarify, the Trav'ler will handle up to 4 receivers but Excel only provides the 2 cables for the living room and bedroom TV's. Plenty for me.
Not if you plan on using the DVR to record a channel while watching another. I had PI install the DirecTV satellite on my 2013 L36GKE when I ordered it. They installed a satellite with 4 connectors, one control and 3 channels, on the roof and installed only 3 cables, one control and 2 channels, in the trailer. The DVR requires 2 channels to record one program and watch another on the TV at the same time. The DirecTV installer that came out to setup the service was surprised there were only three cables attached to the satellite when four connectors were available. We decided to forego the watching of a program on TV and recording a different program on the DVR at the same time. He connected one cable to the bedroom TV and connected the other cable to a splitter that sends one channel to both the TV and DVR recorder in the living room. If we want to record one program and watch another, we set the DVR in the living room and watch the other in the bedroom. The installer said he could run a cable from the satellite to the side of the trailer where the satellite/cable connector is located for the third channel. I didn't want to mess with the cable or have a cable mounted to the side of the trailer.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Not if you plan on using the DVR to record a channel while watching another. I had PI install the DirecTV satellite on my 2013 L36GKE when I ordered it. They installed a satellite with 4 connectors, one control and 3 channels, on the roof and installed only 3 cables, one control and 2 channels, in the trailer. The DVR requires 2 channels to record one program and watch another on the TV at the same time. The DirecTV installer that came out to setup the service was surprised there were only three cables attached to the satellite when four connectors were available. We decided to forego the watching of a program on TV and recording a different program on the DVR at the same time. He connected one cable to the bedroom TV and connected the other cable to a splitter that sends one channel to both the TV and DVR recorder in the living room. If we want to record one program and watch another, we set the DVR in the living room and watch the other in the bedroom. The installer said he could run a cable from the satellite to the side of the trailer where the satellite/cable connector is located for the third channel. I didn't want to mess with the cable or have a cable mounted to the side of the trailer.
We never thought about that when we ordered ours but we probably wouldn't have anyway. If we were full timers, probably. I'm not sure what was done in 2008 but I hope he at least has the 2 cables.

The op did not say if he had DISH or Direct. I'm not familiar with how Direct works, but we have a Hopper and 2 Joey's at home. I own 2 211z receivers that I keep in the Winslow and activate them when we travel. I have not done it but I understand if I did want to record I could get an external hard drive that connects to the 211z, pay a one time $40 fee to DISH and have a dvr.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
If you are using a new Travler with DirecTV (SK-SWM3), you only have one coax to run. The SWM technology allows you to use an appropriate splitter to provide signal to other receivers. Also, any SWM receiver only uses one coax regardless of how many tuners there are.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #8

Robert.
There is not a 12 volt wire ran to the roof on your unit unless it was ask for at the time it was built.
IM4SURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #9

I went up on the roof and there are two stickers.One is about 4 inches in diameter,the other is about 2 inches.The big sticker says drill 1 1/2 inch hole to access the cable.The other sticker I cant make out what it says,but i can make out the word Wingard on it.The small sticker is about 2 feet back from the big sticker.These stickers are next to the air cond.Any suggestions on what the small hole is for are welcome.I have to get electric up to the satelite.My trailer is not a rear kitchen.I will try to get some pictures of the stickers....thanks Robert
Old 07-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #10

I forgot to mention that I plan on going with a sk-1000 WINGARD. ...THANKS ROBERT
Old 07-04-2015, 05:32 AM   #11

The small sticker is showing you where to mount the dish. This is where the support is added. As for getting 12 volt you will need to drill a hole from the overhead cabinet in the rear and tape the wires down and seal the hole. Hope this helps.
IM4SURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:46 AM   #12
JDT

Your install should work the same as mine except for where you get your power. Have you found an upper cabinet or someplace with an electrical outlet for placing the control box?

The sticker that says drill a 1 1/2" hole means what it says. Gently drill the hole thru the upper layer of the roof with a good hole saw. You may need some needle nose pliers to get the cables out. Mine were right there where it said.

The other sticker marks the general area where PI did some reinforcement to accommodate the weight and screws for the Trav'ler. I kind of centered mine over the sticker as best I could. I had to move mine around a bit to get clearance from my air conditioner and a vent. Winegard wants you to have some clearance from taller objects like the ac, which will be in the instructions. You will get a cover plate for the hole with the cables. I used Dicor self leveling caulk to cover everything.

The hardest part is getting that heavy thing on the roof. My son put it on his shoulder and walked right up a ladder with it. Also, check your cabling. The living area cable was a straight shot from the antenna but to get to the bedroom I had to use a couple of connectors. There was a diagram of the cabling in the papers I got with the trailer.

On edit: I noticed the post above this. To repeat, there is no 12 volt and none is needed. I think he meant to say 120 volt.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
If you are using a new Travler with DirecTV (SK-SWM3), you only have one coax to run. The SWM technology allows you to use an appropriate splitter to provide signal to other receivers. Also, any SWM receiver only uses one coax regardless of how many tuners there are.
That's right. I forgot that point. I waited two years after the dish was installed on our trailer to start service. Our dish is the previous generation technology. When the DirecTV service installer came out, he had the SWM equipment and that wouldn't work with my dish. He had to locate an older version of the DVR and receiver, then drive across the DFW metroplex to pick it up. Once he returned with the proper equipment, it took 30 minutes to install and set up the receivers. However, by the time he was finished, he had been on my installation job for over 8 hours. I was impressed with DirecTV. They could have said sorry, we will need to reschedule. But they took the time to locate, deliver, and install an older version of the receivers.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #14

We had a lot of fun installing our Direct TV HD antenna. Where the stickers were was not enough room for the antenna so it is installed frontwards. They put the receiver in cabinet above stove. Sorry "boss" is taking a nap so can't tell you about the rest of wiring. Needless to say we did not do our own installing. We have a 2006 so thats another issue. Our recorder etc is under the TV above fireplace. I know I'm missing something here. Which by the way, we have the new auto air antenna. Pricey but oh so much better. Winegard. Its all an adventure.

Tags
roof, wiring, satellite