RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #1

Saying Goodbye to our Excel

After spending a considerable amount of $$ to repair water leaks at SC last summer we have suffered yet another which has now caused interior cabinet damage. The new leak was at a location repaired at SC and runoff from the AC got inside and caused a delamination of the top of a base cabinet. The veneer is totally screwed up.

No more. We are trading in for a new Mobile Suites. I wanted an Excel from the day I first saw one at the Rosemont RV show a number of years ago. But I'll be glad to see this unit go. I really like the floor plan and features but we've had to fix way too many things. Even the living room furniture is toast after 4 seasons.

Excel owners are a loyal lot and I would dearly love to remain one, but can not. Thank you all for all you do for the Excel community.

Joe & Marcia Julian

jpjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Joe, we are so sad to see ya go, but I understand completely. The RV industry has lots of QC issues I've seen and no manufacturer is exempt from it. I wish you all the luck in the world. We looked and considered DRV over the years, but never pulled the trigger on one. We've been through the plant tour where we got to spend several hours (about double the usual tour) with a very knowledgeable Vice President. Quite impressed.

Anyhow that said, we have some close friends with later model DRVs and they have some nice stuff in the rig. However, they have many of the same issues as our Excels we've owned. And water leaks are at the top of the list. I've help one guy do many repairs on his. I know DRV is at the top of the FTing list on when it comes to desired coaches, but I wouldn't get too excited about having a rig that doesn't have various issues too. Just sayin' and we hope you all the best.

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #3

Rockin, the Thor parent is a concern as we have seen a degradation in quality in the Heartland and Montana units since they were aquired by Thor. I've been on the DRV owners forum and understand there have been some recent issues with QC. We looked at New Horizons but couldn't justify the cost as we don't full time. That left us with DRV as the only viable alternative to our Excel. It's just time to move on and I hope I can get the cabinet repaired/veneer replaced before we trade.

Joe
Old 04-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I hear ya Julian. The DRVs that I've been dealt with were pre-Thor units. We've looked at New Horizon and agree with you on the price. I do like to watch the assembly process of the NH though. Clean and neat assembly process. There again, we have friends that have had numerous issues with NH. Water leaks being the leading complaint. I could go on but won't. Bottom line if you have an RV....you're gonna have problems!!! Some more than others. I really miss the RV lifestyle already, but don't miss the upkeep and the constant maintenance. I'm not really trying to sound like sour grapes, just trying to share with you reality. Of course, it all relative. Some folks are more accepting of issues than others. Me, myself, tend to be a bit of a "fuss budget" (anal if you will) and others don't even know or care about issues. An example, some Excel friends we met up for a few days, claim they never had any issues with their Excel and question when I talked about some of the minor issues we had with ours. We first went into their almost new Excel, they had a screen door that was so badly adjusted I could hardly get in!!! Then inside there were about 5 issues I saw that needed attention before I even set down. So we were looking at both end of the spectrum. Me, a nut for things working correctly and someone that didn't have a clue. Sometimes we just have to lower our expectations. End of rant! Have fun!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
JDT

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm one of those in Tom's camp, I sometimes fix things even before they break. Leaks are the thing I fear most. I do a thorough inspection each year before our season starts and so far so good. We use ours 3 to 4 months each year and have put about 45K miles on it. The only issue we have had that I consider major was a slide adjustment. We have replaced a few components like the CO2 and propane leak detectors. We also replaced the microwave because we don't have a gas oven and the convection on the original just didn't work well. And, we replaced the Dexter axles with MorRyde IS.

I do have an advantage in the maintenance department as ours is always stored inside our rv building and out of the weather when not on the road. I think this is a great advantage in extending the life of an rv of any type.

I hope you have success with the DRV. I've seen a bunch in our travels so they are quite popular.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #6
JDT

Joe, just a suggestion but have you looked at Artic Fox? I was intrigued by them a couple of years ago when we were on a fence trying to decide to either keep or sell the Winslow. The frames are house built and get good reviews overall. The problem I found was there just isn't a bunch of dealers. I think the closest one to us was in Colorado or NM. They are made in Oregon, I think. The other issue was the lack of a residential fridge as an option, but that may have changed. Also, like Excel was, they don't appear to big on the glitz.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #7

Arctic Fox is a very good unit. I had 2 before the excel and I would consider them again. the last couple rv shows we were at, we were impressed with keystone alpine and avalanche. but, I hear keystone is getting beat up over poor customer service....
Old 04-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Joe, just a suggestion but have you looked at Artic Fox? I was intrigued by them a couple of years ago when we were on a fence trying to decide to either keep or sell the Winslow. The frames are house built and get good reviews overall. The problem I found was there just isn't a bunch of dealers. I think the closest one to us was in Colorado or NM. They are made in Oregon, I think. The other issue was the lack of a residential fridge as an option, but that may have changed. Also, like Excel was, they don't appear to big on the glitz.
I don't think I've ever seen an Arctic Fox. Their dealer network is so few and far between it's no wonder I don't think I've ever seen one. So no, I never considered one.

Joe
Old 04-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #9

Valerie at RV Sales in Moriarty NM is now an Arctic Fox Dealer and has several on her lot now. Liked the look but just didnít work for us as well as a late model used Excel Limited. They also have several later model Excels there now.
lsparksrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #10

Joe,

I looked back at your first post regarding the repairs you had done, you talked about the dining room slide leaking, is this the same area the AC condensation went? I did just reseal the roof but am curious to where the water got through on yours?
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masch View Post
Joe,

I looked back at your first post regarding the repairs you had done, you talked about the dining room slide leaking, is this the same area the AC condensation went? I did just reseal the roof but am curious to where the water got through on yours?
Yes. Nothing to do with the roof. The leak was at a corner of the drip rail at the upper rear of the slide opening. The condensation ran off the roof onto the drip rail and entered the unit at the junction of the horizontal/vertical joint. The caulking went bad and cracked and the water got inside and caused the rear base cabinet to delaminate. Didn't see the moisture as we kept a box of tissues in that corner. Sucks for us. I'm not faulting the guys at SC for the prior repairs. The caulk just dried up in the Florida sun and that's that.

Joe

Tags
excel