Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #15

On 50MM never lube bearing the movement can be up to .004 per inch of tire diameter ( my tire is 30 inches in diameter) so .004 times 30 equals .120 or almost 1/8 in
lyncjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyncjim View Post
On 50MM never lube bearing the movement can be up to .004 per inch of tire diameter ( my tire is 30 inches in diameter) so .004 times 30 equals .120 or almost 1/8 in
Yeah, Jim, but I've had 3 Excels in the last 8+ years and they've all had NevRLube bearings and I promised none have had close to .120" end play. I've read difference specs from different places. I think the main thing is that a bearing shouldn't condemned for having some slack, because it's built in.

Another thing is that the weep/seep of grease on the wheels is normal, especially in the early days. If you don't wash or clean it off of aluminum wheels it looks pretty nasty. A little grease film looks like a failure to most folks. Just sayin' rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tommy, what would you say is a "normal" hub temp? When should one be concerened? Or do we just watch for one getting hotter the the others? Retiring August 30th (3rd and last time lol) and hitting the road for 7 months.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Tommy, what would you say is a "normal" hub temp? When should one be concerened? Or do we just watch for one getting hotter the the others? Retiring August 30th (3rd and last time lol) and hitting the road for 7 months.
Hey Chief,

I guess I'll shoot off the hip on this one. A lot depends on ambient temp. I would be concern if a hub got north of 125*F on a warm day. I usually shoot the tire at the second tread in from the outside (per GY) with the infrared gun. I usually put my hand around the center hub cone on the wheel. If it was questionably hot to the touch I'd shoot the gun on it too. I've personally never had a hub bearing temp problem.

PS. I've am really impressed with my Michelin XTAs....the warmest temps I've seen is 120*F!!!! My old GY614 RSTs.....on a hot day.....would read as high as 157*F.......and at 170*F one in great shape will come apart...guaranteed.....I promise. I never had one come apart.....but I sure was worried a lot many times.....rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks. I think I will have to stay with the GY614 RST cus I have 7K axels and 16" wheels.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Thanks. I think I will have to stay with the GY614 RST cus I have 7K axels and 16" wheels.

I understand....with the smaller 30ft. unit (as long as you're not overloaded) you are OK with the GY 614s. Your not so close to the tire load limits capacity than are old 33-35 ft. units. We were always right on the cusp. rockin'