Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #43

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Glenn,

It's been a while.......is the new sensor in yet? Patiently waiting!!!
Sorry, I only have time to do these things on the weekends. Anyway, I'm finishing up the "testing" stage. Received the new sensor last week. They sent me an "economy" sensor. The old ("premium"?) sensor consisted of a series of 1" section (you have to cut it to the correct length to fit the tank--ours aren't that tall). The new (economy one) has 1.5" sections. Cutting at 3 sections (4.5") is a little short (4 sections would have been too long at 6"). The old sensor was cut at 5 sections (5"). The instructions recommended you connect the wires and TAPE the sensor to the tank to test it before permanently installing it. I centered it top-to-bottom. But since the sensor is a little shorter, it takes a while for it to register any contents, and still has more capacity after it reaches 100%. So this weekend, I'm going to permanently install it about 1/2" higher on the tank. I expect it will take even longer to register any contents above 0%, but it should be more accurate at the 100% level. The other thing about the economy sensor is that it reads approximately 8% increments (e.g., 0, 8%, 17%, 24%, etc). The old sensor read 5% increments. This isn't a big deal to me, as long as it's relatively accurate. I hope to finish up this weekend. I'll try to get some good pictures and post when I'm done.
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #44

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbontly View Post
Sorry, I only have time to do these things on the weekends. Anyway, I'm finishing up the "testing" stage. Received the new sensor last week. They sent me an "economy" sensor. The old ("premium"?) sensor consisted of a series of 1" section (you have to cut it to the correct length to fit the tank--ours aren't that tall). The new (economy one) has 1.5" sections. Cutting at 3 sections (4.5") is a little short (4 sections would have been too long at 6"). The old sensor was cut at 5 sections (5"). The instructions recommended you connect the wires and TAPE the sensor to the tank to test it before permanently installing it. I centered it top-to-bottom. But since the sensor is a little shorter, it takes a while for it to register any contents, and still has more capacity after it reaches 100%. So this weekend, I'm going to permanently install it about 1/2" higher on the tank. I expect it will take even longer to register any contents above 0%, but it should be more accurate at the 100% level. The other thing about the economy sensor is that it reads approximately 8% increments (e.g., 0, 8%, 17%, 24%, etc). The old sensor read 5% increments. This isn't a big deal to me, as long as it's relatively accurate. I hope to finish up this weekend. I'll try to get some good pictures and post when I'm done.
Thanks for the update Glenn. All of this sounds very interesting. All my tank readings are in 4% increments. IE 4%, 8%, 12%. Here lately my grey tank readings have been pretty accurate, my grey when completely empty usually reads 4%, but sometimes makes it to 0%. I'm guessing the sensor is just right on the edge of being placed just a hair low on the tank. Not a big problem to me. I would rather read 100% just before it actually gets completely full. You know how I get about completely full tanks!!! Again thanks and let us know how things turn out on your task of "tuning" your sensor. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #45

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the update Glenn. All of this sounds very interesting. All my tank readings are in 4% increments. IE 4%, 8%, 12%. Here lately my grey tank readings have been pretty accurate, my grey when completely empty usually reads 4%, but sometimes makes it to 0%. I'm guessing the sensor is just right on the edge of being placed just a hair low on the tank. Not a big problem to me. I would rather read 100% just before it actually gets completely full. You know how I get about completely full tanks!!! Again thanks and let us know how things turn out on your task of "tuning" your sensor. rockin'
you get very upset if is an OP tank!!!
Hermandutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #46

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermandutchman View Post
you get very upset if is an OP tank!!!
What a reputation I'm gettin'.......Hmmmm....wonder where that came from?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #47

Excel Owners Club
New Gray Tank Sensor Installed

I permanently installed the new gray tank sensor this morning. Based on the instructions Garnet sent with the new sensor, I lightly sanded the face of the tank to make it smooth. Then I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol, and warmed up the surface with a heat gun. Since the new sensor is 1/2" shorter, and based on my temporary install to test it, I positioned the sensor a little higher than center. Works great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Sensor 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	13932

Name:	New Sensor 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	13933
Old 09-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #48

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the update. Of course ol' "anal-retentive" has questions. First how warm did you get the tank surface with the heat gun. I know you didn't put a thermometer on it, but just your best guess. It looks like the area you are calling the "top" of the tank is actually the flanged area of the tank....it that right? Is that a electric waste gate control I see with the wire junction going to it in the top of the picture? Just curious. rockin'
Old 09-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #49

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the update. Of course ol' "anal-retentive" has questions. First how warm did you get the tank surface with the heat gun. I know you didn't put a thermometer on it, but just your best guess. It looks like the area you are calling the "top" of the tank is actually the flanged area of the tank....it that right? Is that a electric waste gate control I see with the wire junction going to it in the top of the picture? Just curious. rockin'
Oh yeah, how tuff was it to get the old sensor off the tank. What did you use to do that......a putty knife? rockiebaby.......can you tell it's raining here???
Old 09-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #50

Excel Owners Club
Well Glenn, I already answered one of my questions, the one about electric gate valves.....I see the wires (black and white) are actually behind the valve. I now see the Valterra control cable going in the gate. Optical illusion...and my wine soaked brain!!! rockin'
Old 09-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #51

Excel Owners Club
Tom,

The old sensor just peeled off. Just got it started with my fingernail. I didn't heat the tank very much. Just til it was slightly warm to the touch. Yes, the top flange of the tank, but that's also the top of the tank. Those are not electric valves, they are cable operated, just like yours.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #52

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbontly View Post
Tom,

The old sensor just peeled off. Just got it started with my fingernail. I didn't heat the tank very much. Just til it was slightly warm to the touch. Yes, the top flange of the tank, but that's also the top of the tank. Those are not electric valves, they are cable operated, just like yours.
Thanks for the quick reply. All sounds good to me. I now remember that the flange is actually the top of the tank. Thanks again buddy. rockin'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	13935   Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	13936  

Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #53

Excel Owners Club
Gray Tank Sensor Went Bad AGAIN!

SON OF A GUN! Even though I'm parked long term and keep my gray tank valve open, I still check the gauge reading every once in a while to make sure it's still working, IT'S NOT! When I dumped the black tank two days ago, I pressed the gray tank sensor button and it was reading 83%. Yesterday morning it was zero. Yesterday afternoon it was 100%. Guess I'll call Garnet Instruments back again.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #54

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
I'm of the opinion that things like to grow on the walls of the tanks that measure some conductivity. I am a believer that gray tanks need their own tank flusher too. I was criticized by my Illinois dealer last sumer for filling up my tank once in a while to flush it out some, he said they weren't designed to be filled on a regular basis ... Or was it he didn't want to repair it when it was leaking? Anyway, with my traditional KIB monitor, it was still inaccurate if I was moving or stationary for a spell once it got a layer of grease in it. Our friends, on the other hand, said theirs started working again once they added a washing machine that included a regular lite beach diet ... Go figure!

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #55

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
I'm of the opinion that things like to grow on the walls of the tanks that measure some conductivity. I am a believer that gray tanks need their own tank flusher too. I was criticized by my Illinois dealer last sumer for filling up my tank once in a while to flush it out some, he said they weren't designed to be filled on a regular basis ... Or was it he didn't want to repair it when it was leaking? Anyway, with my traditional KIB monitor, it was still inaccurate if I was moving or stationary for a spell once it got a layer of grease in it. Our friends, on the other hand, said theirs started working again once they added a washing machine that included a regular lite beach diet ... Go figure!

Dave
Hey Dave,

I hear what you say on the building a layer of grease on the walls to give an bad reading on the traditional probe gauge setup, but with the SeeLevel, the manufacturer claims no problem with build up until it get over a 1/2" thick of solid material on the tank walls. I would guess he'd be having other problems at that point!!!

Bet my ol' buddy Glenn has another bad sensor. Just a guess though.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #56

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
That all sounds good in theory. What is the sensor using to measure the levels, light, IR, or sonar? LOL!

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote