Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Bona View Post
Personally, I'd recommend that the 132 bottle cooler be located at the curbside rear quadrant to get maximum benefit as regards offloading the roadside front jack.

Jim
Yea Jim,

That's the ticket......and I wouldn't even have to get up outa my chair to get another bottle!! Us engineer types are always brewing up new ideas!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
I don't think a 132 bottle wine cooler is big enough for Rockin. You need to do like us Rednecks and get a horse tank and ice your wine down. Then you will have more then enough supply. If not, just get a bigger horse tank and put it on the HDT your going to buy.
I suspect with enough Oak Poop one would never be concerned about leveling or know if they are level anyway.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
I don't think a 132 bottle wine cooler is big enough for Rockin. You need to do like us Rednecks and get a horse tank and ice your wine down. Then you will have more then enough supply. If not, just get a bigger horse tank and put it on the HDT your going to buy.
Like this? How much of that Oak Poop stuff do ya think this 'un will hold?

Might'n he be better off jes puttin' together a nice little still and then carryin' that on the back end of his Big Truck?
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookIIRoadtrash View Post
No, but a couple of weeks ago when I was road tripping I stopped at a CG for over night. I dollied down and ruffly leveled. The next morn when I was re-hooking I notice that I had one of the front jacks off of the ground, I must have been in too big a hurry to get that shower and some rest! So my rig stood all night three legged.
We had this happen to us yesterday evening while setting up. We leveled front to back, then side-to-side using the two jacks at a time (no cross frame) approach. We found as we raised one side up, the front jack on the opposite side came off the ground. I believe what I'm learning is at what point can we level just with the jacks vs raising one side up on leveling blocks before using the jacks to finish. Looks like a bubble off on the side to side needs the leveling blocks for us. David
Old 08-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davydee View Post
We had this happen to us yesterday evening while setting up. We leveled front to back, then side-to-side using the two jacks at a time (no cross frame) approach. We found as we raised one side up, the front jack on the opposite side came off the ground. I believe what I'm learning is at what point can we level just with the jacks vs raising one side up on leveling blocks before using the jacks to finish. Looks like a bubble off on the side to side needs the leveling blocks for us. David
Davydee, try side to side first before you do the front to back. The front jacks run faster then the rears. I level only with my fronts and use the rears to stabilize. I use a 6" torpedo level and bubble off in 8 feet is about 1.5" to 2" from my experiences leveling.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookIIRoadtrash View Post
Davydee, try side to side first before you do the front to back. The front jacks run faster then the rears. I level only with my fronts and use the rears to stabilize. I use a 6" torpedo level and bubble off in 8 feet is about 1.5" to 2" from my experiences leveling.
Will do! David
Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Will do! David
I don't understand here. A certain SKIA pointed out to me the Excel manual says
"it may be necessary to level the unit side to side. This is best accomplished by placing blocks under the wheels on the side of the coach that is to be raised."
"For hydraulic jacks, use the pendant that is located inside the large access door on the road-side of the coach (Figure 1) – no cross leveling."

Which I interpret as "only use the jacks to level front to back. Use blocks for side to side." While not nearly as convenient, I have adopted this method. But you guys are recommending using the left or right side jacks to level in that direction.

Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Bruce don't do as I say , but I don't feel 2" is a lot of side level...I did that with the other system and had no problems. Just follow the manual and you will never be in the wrong.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Bruce,

Here's what I do. I "rough it in", within in inch of level, from side to side with leveling blocks and then I unhook from the truck. I then level front to rear, leaving the front a half bubble high, using the landing gear. Next I finish the side to side level with the landing gear and then I drop the rear hydraulic jacks and lift the rear enough to provide front to rear level. Finally, I drop the rear electric stabilizers and that's it.

Thus, I use hydraulic jacks only for fine tuning my side to side leveling. Don't know what SKIA might think about my technique. I'll cross my fingers.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #24

Our rear hydraulic jacks don't provide enough leg length to do much side-to-side or front-to rear leveling. I agree with the term "fine tuning" here. We may also be confusing what "cross leveling" means. To me, "cross leveling" is using the front curb side jack and the rear street side jack - similar to the "X" used when rotating tires. I don't know when you'd do that, but I've stayed away from using just one jack at a time to prevent a similar twist to the frame. David
Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
I do the same now as Jim & Bona; no more trying to level side to side with the hydraulics. I just can't get the to work like that. As for the hydraulics settling, I haven't experienced that. We've been set up for about a month now and none of the jacks have settled at all. Perhaps they fixed this issue in the 2011 models, cuz I haven't even looks any of the things mentioned above regarding soleniods and stuff. We do get a lot of "wobble" in the coach whe we walk around, though. I think I'l try putting some blocks under each of the 4 jacks so the jacks aren't extended as much.
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Our rear hydraulic jacks don't provide enough leg length to do much side-to-side or front-to rear leveling. I agree with the term "fine tuning" here. We may also be confusing what "cross leveling" means. To me, "cross leveling" is using the front curb side jack and the rear street side jack - similar to the "X" used when rotating tires. I don't know when you'd do that, but I've stayed away from using just one jack at a time to prevent a similar twist to the frame. David
  • Our rear jacks are also a bit short on stroke. I generally use 2" risers below the rear jacks.
  • As to "levelling" using opposing jacks (like the X davydee describes), I'm hard pressed to see what advantage that might ever yield. This approach sounds inherently unsound and destructive to me. I'd never consider it. I would, in effect, be hanging the trailer on those opposing corners!
  • While I do use a single jack to "fine tune" my level, I'm not concerned about the fact that one front corner of the trailer might be an inch "high" for a minute. Wth the way my frame is built I suspect that any misalignment is taken up in the suspension with room to spare. Although I initially tried to use front and rear jacks for side to side levelling, that never seemed to work real well. I suspect that although the hydraulic system is plumbed such that both jacks on the front and rear, respectively, receive nominally equal flow when activated simultaneously, the same does not apply from front to rear. (Clear as mud?)
  • On the other hand, SKIA has the ultimate solution to this entire matter: Stay at Luxury RV Resorts, ONLY! Once again, he demonstrates why we all owe him so much respect.
Jim
Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
"On the other hand, SKIA has the ultimate solution to this entire matter: Stay at Luxury RV Resorts, ONLY! Once again, he demonstrates why we all owe him so much respect."

Jim,

If we all had as much money as SKIA does, all of us could stay in the Luxury RV Resorts. As for respect for him, he has to earn it and he sure works hard at getting it with his skills of BS.

As for leveling the Wild Cargo, I used to level front to back using the front jack first, then put the back jacks done to snug it up. Then using the both jacks on the low side I would bring that side up to level. The most I ever needed to raise on side was a couple of inches.

The last time out I used blocks to get it closed to level. Then went through the same process and I like it much better. It put less strain on the jacks, bolts, hydraulics and frame.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Jim,

If we all had as much money as SKIA does, all of us could stay in the Luxury RV Resorts. As for respect for him, he has to earn it and he sure works hard at getting it with his skills of BS. QUOTE]

"I you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull..." W C. Fields